Vehicle disappears into the floor after Undo/Reload/Revert [Possible Regression]

Vl3d

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X | GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070 | RAM32 GB DDR5

I tried to build a simple rocket, but for some reason after saving the vehicle and loading it again .. it all broke. It's hard to explain, it's all underground and squished. Try it out.

Included Attachments:

CampaignSave.zip

Peacock edit:

This is caused by copying then attaching a group of parts not using the nodes on the root part/assembly anchor. 

Simplified Reproduction Steps:

1. place a panel
  2. attach a second panel
  3. copy this assembly, and place it back on the original one using the nodes or the second and copy of the second panel placed
  4. perform any action that 'updates' the state of the craft twice (may include saving/loading, undo/redoing after picking up and seperately placing a part, deleting a part, and reverting to VAB from flight)

Video Evidence:

Spoiler

Note:

See this comment for a more detailed explanation of this bug

Edited by The Space Peacock
added root cause + repro steps

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

It's strange, as it only happens with this particular assembly.

Repro steps:

-Load the basey.json

-Connect the modules together through docking ports as they are - the root parts are the habs

-Launch, revert - it should be fine, launch again, revert - ALL of the parts will remain in singularity on the floor. Attached video explains it.

Note: the whole thing is made of copied central assembly 3 times with some additions.

Also, there's A LOT of spam messages in the log file, also attached.

Included Attachments:

basey.json

Player.log

OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 64-Bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor (24) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (24340MB) | RAM65459

I was building my Buran replica, then deleted a part by mistake, pressed CTRL+Z and suddenly the vehicle was in multiple parts below the floor of the VAB. Trying to do "Undo" a couple more times only made it worse (see video).  Also, the craft renamed back to "Fly Safe" after it disappeared under the floor.

This is something that I believe was already fixed in the past, so I added "Regression" to the title.

Included Attachments:

Spoiler

Spicat edit:

Steps to reproduce:

1. Load AutoSave ShadowZone 0.1.5 05.11.2023 16_15.json
  2. Hit the undo button
  3. Hit the redo button

ShadowZone's Bug Package:

BUG136-Floorcraftreturns_logs.zip

It contains the craft that is already in the ground.

added replication steps for this craft

17 minutes ago, The Space Peacock said:

i've been seeing this bug again since patch 5 too, but after loading a workspace instead of an undo. Will do some testing to see if i can reliable replicate this when i find the time

The craft attached loads into the floor.

I have created another bug report with a previous version of this vehicle which results in a crash when trying to launch. I see this as two separate issues that's why I created two reports. But with the craft attached there you can try to experiment and see if adding/removing parts would provoke the "floor hugger" bug by pressing undo. The only parts I added after the state that's in the other bug were linear RCS parts.

10 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

I have created another bug report with a previous version of this vehicle which results in a crash when trying to launch. I see this as two separate issues that's why I created two reports. But with the craft attached there you can try to experiment and see if adding/removing parts would provoke the "floor hugger" bug by pressing undo. The only parts I added after the state that's in the other bug were linear RCS parts.

that report is now public;

i added a link and reference to this report in the title, since its quite possible they're related. For clarity, the version of the craft in that report does not put itself into the floor after an Undo, correct?

I also really like the name 'floor hugger' for this bug :P

Just now, The Space Peacock said:

For clarity, the version of the craft in that report does not put itself into the floor after an Undo, correct?

I honestly don't know. I haven't touched that one at all so the crash stays reproducible. Might copy/paste it or something to experiment when I get the time (not within the next 16 hours).

The crashing sounds familiar... So does the floor thingy. All with different versions of the same vehicle.

I've had literally the same thing, first crash on launch, then in another version of the craft, a singularity on the floor after reverting twice.

1 minute ago, ShadowZone said:

I honestly don't know. I haven't touched that one at all so the crash stays reproducible. Might copy/paste it or something to experiment when I get the time (not within the next 16 hours).

Don't worry about it, i'll have a look myself when i have time (probably also not within the next 16 hours xD). i've also passed this report along to the devs. it's a pretty serious regression

9 hours ago, The Space Peacock said:

Don't worry about it, i'll have a look myself when i have time (probably also not within the next 16 hours xD). i've also passed this report along to the devs. it's a pretty serious regression

I got a few minutes, and yes, the workspace added to the crash bug immediately triggers the "floor hugger" when removing a part and pressing CTRL+Z

Edited by ShadowZone

3 hours ago, ShadowZone said:

I got a few minutes, and yes, the workspace added to the crash bug immediately triggers the "floor hugger" when removing a part and pressing CTRL+Z

that lines up with what we've seen. we've been able to find a way to consistently replicate this, both for your craft and from scratch, and we're pretty sure we know whats causing it: for your craft, @Spicatdiscovered its the panels on the back that are to blame.

in general, it seems like this bug is caused by copying a group of parts and connecting them using nodes that are not on the root. from here there are a few ways to trigger the bug; saving/loading twice, undoing something then doing a save/load, picking up a part of the assembly-placing it seperately-then undo+redoing, deleting a part and then hitting undo... 

this is a video of the bug happening in the most basic way i could get it to, using nothing but 4 panels:

Spoiler

and here it is after undoing then reloading the craft:

Spoiler

i dont know the full technical specifics of it, but i'm told it's caused internally by two parts getting assigned the same identifier due to the way they're copied and placed, then saved. As soon as you have parts that are connected this way in your craft, it basically becomes a ticking timebomb waiting to burry itself into the VAB floor.
In any case, it's been reported internally and we should hopefully see a fix for this sooner rather than later :) 

24 minutes ago, The Space Peacock said:

it's caused internally by two parts getting assigned the same identifier due to the way they're copied and placed, then saved. As soon as you have parts that are connected this way in your craft, it basically becomes a ticking timebomb waiting to burry itself into the VAB floor.

That would make sense. My craft in the other report was made of the identical assemblies copied 3 times and joined together.

And tbh it could be found in the log file, as there were a bunch of lines pointing at <partIDa> connected to <partIDb> several times.

@Vl3d tried to merge your report (lets keep these as one report; there are technically multiple ways to trigger it, but the root cause is identical)

it somehow took over the report tho, so moved my note on root cause from @ShadowZone's report to yours and edited the title to include all cases. the forums have their quircks:rolleyes:

I experienced this too, for me it happened when my game crashed upon launching the craft, then it was stuck in the ground upon reloading the game. My encounter of the bug happened in a different way, but it sounds to me like the same bug.

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i7-10870H | GPU: RTX 3070 | RAM16GB

As the name describes. Sometimes when reloading workspaces by reverting from launch, all parts seem to form a singularity on the floor.

Included Attachments:

• 4 weeks later...

OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEI | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU: ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3080 OC 10GB | RAMKingston Fury Beast 32GB 5200MHz

Just note that i am new to reporting bugs so bare with me. 

I recreate rockets from real life in ksp2, a problem I'm having is that whenever I try a build a SpaceX Falcon Heavy style rocket, save it, and reload it, it fails to load and then piles all the parts individually half in the floor. I don't know how to fix it or even prevent it from occurring, does someone know anything I can do or can someone even just have a look into it? Here is a video i have of it the bug in effect:

Included Attachments:

2023-12-0817-03-07.mkv

SpaceXFalconHeavyV2.json

Is more info still needed on this?  I was working on an ISS build and lost over half of the station.  Notice in the top right of the load window the thumb nail shows the entire station I had up to this point.  Now it's gone.  Some part of it is in the floor.

Spoiler

I3cGVGE.png

Spoiler

u4w50My.png