"We Don't need no stinking Science!" Landing and Return Challenge

PicoSpace

Fly to [Mun/Duna/Lathe/Tylo?/Eve??], Land, and Return Safely to Kerbin using ONLY Starting Rocketry parts.

Keep your Re-Entry Speed under 2000 m/s on all atmospheres or we will assume you burned up (if you are playing pre-0.2.0)

Lowest Launch Weight for Each Celestrial Body wins!
rHCxg4W.png

OK, I'll go first.

I needed to run this mission before 0.2 comes out, because I will begin holiday travel shortly after that, and won't be able to get back to KSP until January.  So this was done in v 0.1.5.

I only used parts from Starting Rocketry.  To The Mun and back.  Launch Mass:  42.86t

YFs9KXn.png

All images for the entire mission can be found here:  https://imgur.com/a/RWBogQW

Here are some highlights

b8v2B05.jpg

Launch to Orbit

Spoiler

Ascending
ZLAEgys.png

Drop boosters
fG8MRBt.png

Transfer fuel from yellow tanks, and ditch them
yCmr4Pc.png

Coast to Ap
DaYDvfS.png

Stable LKO
spivvEa.png

Transfer fuel from white tanks to black and grey tanks, and ditch the white tanks
blluWsI.png
8Ms2xcI.png
hgqdG4c.png

zcrB89h.png

Transfer to Mun

Spoiler

Maneuver plan
Wt8re82.png

Result after burn
k7nGdxv.png

Adjusted Pe once inside Mun SOI
ddoryYO.png

Setup Mun capture
5gBGdWd.png

f1Igs2p.jpg

Mun Landing

Spoiler

Plan to land at Pe
BvSDod7.png

Horizontal velocity near zero, lower thrust
JmJtc5M.png

SAS to Retrograde
Y53b0Vs.png

Descent
L8nlXUc.png
lgLtXRy.png

Landed!
LS9ak4Q.png

Transfer fuel from grey to black tanks
49hPh4L.png

EVA, plant flag, and return to capsule
8bXuT6W.png
a5BtAjh.png
gTCOrV6.png

a5BtAjh.png

Game Bugs On Return

Spoiler

Leaving with tanks on the ground did not work
p4Wq01M.jpg

No orbital lines
EkMo8ie.png

Tried again, dropping the tanks after liftoff
ynScwKc.png

I attempted a low Mun orbit, but even with no thrust, Ap kept descending, and Pe kept ascending
hu0rhDJ.png
ZUUnKoP.png
nYCVB9L.png

qoF4ZFJ.png

Direct Return to Kerbin (with no Low Mun Orbit)

Spoiler

Ready for direct return to Kerbin, no Munar orbit
DH20pp1.png

Drop tanks after liftoff
QDph3fY.jpg

After a few attempts to return directly to Kerbin, and running out of fuel too early, I finally got a Pe within the Kerbin atmosphere, but actually a little too low.  I turned around and adjusted the Pe to where I wanted it
97e4VLb.png
qoF4ZFJ.png

BLGwzmA.png

30 Aerobraking passes of Kerbin

So I didn't even attempt to meet the OP's requirement for keeping atmospheric velocity under 2000m/s.  If there is going to be aerobraking, speeds will be above 2000.  I have to believe that, even with the heat system we get with version 0.2, this vehicle would easily survive the aerobraking and final descent.  The engine and fuel tank sitting under the crew capsule should be sufficient "heat shield".  This would definitely work in KSP1.

@PicoSpace, I request that you remove this 2000m/s requirement.  I won't be able to do anything with this mission after version 0.2 comes out until I return from holiday travel in January.  If I need to rerun this landing in 0.2 to demonstrate that it works, it will have to wait until then.

Here are two tables that show the velocities I measured during the 30 aerobraking passes, and during the final descent (31st atmospheric entry)

Spoiler

Altitudes and Velocities during 30 aerobraking passes
wwGz5wr.png

Altitudes and velocities during final descent
2wVZQRg.png

JrqszXU.png

31st Atmospheric Entry and Final Descent and Landing on Kerbin

Spoiler

Descending at 30,002m
LWFtVyV.jpg

Dropped the engine and tanks and got a good chute
bDTT2OD.jpg

Almost landed
T8gcRvU.jpg

Landed!
iIjarSp.jpg

A couple of bugs when Jeb got out to plant a flag:

Quicksand on the mountaintop
8GjkDxj.png

And invisible terrain on the mountaintop
TBMOqiX.jpg

Jeb preps the flag
7II8RYA.jpg

iMvy3eS.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update, 20231220:

I don't think this will work with the current version of the heating system.  I just put an identical vehicle into a 12,000,000m orbit above Kerbin (a little past Mun's orbit), then at Ap I lowered the Pe to 60,421m (almost 100m lower than the mission above).  But the lateral fuel tanks overheated and blew up almost immediately (while still above 60km).

Next, I put the vehicle in a LKO and lowered the Pe to 60,495m.  The lateral tanks also overheated and blew up well above 60km (64,548m, in this case).

So, I'm not sure if it's possible to return from orbit without a heat shield.  I don't intend to try again any time soon, at least until we get an updated reheating model, or until someone else figures out a way to return from orbit without a heat shield.  Maybe you have to zero your horizontal movement and fall straight down?  Someone else is welcome to give that a try.

• 3 weeks later...

OK , I'm back from vacation.

And, I successfully completed the mission I attempted earlier, Mun landing and return, using only parts from the initial tech node.  Launch weight:  137.32t

But, I'm not the first to report a successful landing on another celestial body and return to Kerbin using only the initial tech node.  I'm sure there are more, but I've found these 3:

• @Nnamleips reported a Mun and return mission in these forums on 31 December.  Here's that report.  The Kerbin reentry method was a large retrograde burn right before reentry.
  • Gregrox reported a Mun and return mission on reddit on 6 January.  Here's that report.  I asked how the reentry was done, and here is the reply:  "Kept the tanks and fins attached. Started with a retrograde gliding reentry but ended up just wobbling back and forth a bunch until I slowed down enough to land normally. It took three tries."
  • And Matt Lowne did an Eeloo landing and return on YouTube.  Here's a link to that one.  Matt's reentry method was some intentional wobbling, plus some empty "ablative fuel tanks" (he let some empty tanks absorb the heat and blow up).  No retroburn.

My reentry method was a 1500ms retro burn right at atmospheric entry.

Full album here (45 images, I think):  https://imgur.com/a/2mQ7E0h

Highlights:

wGLyJZN.png

uvctYqY.jpg

I had to do lots of fuel transfers, sometimes during burn, to make this whole thing work.  Here I'm transferring from the orange to the black tanks right after achieving orbit.
CrHeWaI.png

KE690qm.png

RCtQ2B8.png

f3c6WN4.png

baiUmvK.png

I had some troubles with lost orbit lines, and plenty of troubles with decaying orbit around the Mun.  I found my decaying orbit issues were happening when below 9000m ASL, so I established orbit above that line
4JYrR09.png

I was kind of busy with the landing itself, and didn't take any screenshots during that phase.  Then I landed in the dark.  Time warped forward until sunrise.
w4JJGO6.png

Val did EVA, planted a flag, and returned to the capsule.  I did one more fuel transfer from the tanks below the green line to those above the line.
aIR1SdZ.png
GpTiIKj.png
MrQCXhw.png

I also don't have any screenshots of the ascent.  I did a direct ascent (did not establish Munar orbit but burned continuously from Munar liftoff until I had established an exit from the Munar SOI and a good Kerbin orbit with Pe in the very upper atmosphere.
Dt5ysEV.png

zsHrC3v.png

I2uqGUn.jpg

Right as I was entering the Kerbin atmosphere, I burned all remaining fuel (about 1500m/s of dV).  Here's a shot right after that burn completed.
vEqW4Ra.png

All 4 of the lateral tanks overheated, and 2 of them blew up.  After the heat effects subsided, I separated the capsule, and the rest of the landing was "nominal".
pu6t5st.jpg
LtzasXV.png
qsQoZ91.jpg
KbWLrDh.jpg

Mission Complete!
q0iU7fy.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.