Anyone else having ships suddenly throttle up when switching to another vessel?

I searched the bug reports section and wasn't able to find this reported yet. I'm not making a bug report yet because I don't feel like I have much information about it.

But over the last few days I've been launching a handful of ships and leaving them in Kerbin orbit. Sometimes when I switch back to them after doing something else, I've found them throttled up to full, burning fuel and changing their orbit.

Now I'm 100% sure I shut off the throttles before switching away from the vessel. This might be because I'm launching a bunch of ships one after another, sometimes returning to the VAB to build another, sometimes reverting after a failed launch, sometimes switching to the tracking station or directly to another ship.

It always seems to be only the throttle. I've never had a deactivated engine, activate itself. It doesn't seem to happen regularly or even that often. I can close and save the game and return to a vessel that was affected and it won't happen the next time.

Maybe it's because I'm switching away or leaving the vessel right after cutting rhe throttle? And the throttle down isn't saved by the game when I leave it? I'll try waiting a bit after throttling down before switching away or doing a bit of time warp at zero throttle first in the future to see if that stops it.

It might even throttle up, or forget that I throttled down shortly after switching away from a vessel. As on two occasions I've returned to a vessel after a while to find its throttle at full and it has burned more than half a tank of fuel I left it nearly full with. Though strangely without the change in orbit I would have expected. These were both huge hydrogen nuclear tankers, with between 200 and 400 tons of hydrogen. When I left them, their engines were off and the tanks were almost full. When I returned the engines were on full and the tanks were half empty. But they were still in stable circular obits of kerbin.

I'll try and experiment with it after the new update tomorrow.

Thanks. Wanted to check it wasn't just me.

I've had it happen I think three times now. Tonight and last night. I think all three times was when I switched to the vessel from the tracking station. Although one time might have been when switching from another vehicle. 

I mostly wanted to get this down in text before the science update comes out so I have some record it was happening before the science update, for whatever that may help.

Anyway, it's pretty late and I've failed to reproduce it tonight now that I've been paying closer attention. And I've been trying for a few hours. And with the new update coming tomorrow I suppose it will be more useful trying to get it to happen after the update.

Did a bit of testing this morning. Built a ship of one solo pod, three long small tanks, parachute, and swivel engine.

Testing consisted of flying straight up, (throttling down to 50% through upper atmosphere to save fuel) immediately after passing 70km altitude, cutting engine and leaving ship. (Visually checking engine is no longer firing to confirm.) Then coming back to ship from tracking station.

It happened on the very first test, returned to ship and throttle was at 100%. But tried six or seven more time and none of them reproduced it. 

I have had this happen but its so random that i was lazy about bug report. I was sure someone would have done this allready.

Info for developers: this has happened from release of early access, it didnt appear just now after science update.

Edited by Jeq

20 hours ago, Jeq said:

I have had this happen but its so random that i was lazy about bug report. I was sure someone would have done this allready.

Yes it's strange. I had it happen almost a dozen times playing over the two days before the update. A couple times happening twice in a row.

But since the update, I've played upwards of twenty hours in one exploration save and haven't had it happen at all. Despite running a very complex operation with lots of switching between craft and back and forth from the tracking station. Fingers crossed its better now. I've easily switched between vessels more times than in those days where I had it happen several times.

20 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Usually when you go to the tracking station. There is a bug report, it might be worth upvoting it. Somehow was under the impression it was fixed but clearly it isn’t.

Ok thanks. I'll check again. I looked for a report on it but was unable to find it. So far haven't had it happen since the update so maybe it's fixed or at least better.

• 1 month later...

For me, it was an issue with Advanced Fly-by-Wire mod. I had the throttle inverted, so when I loaded game without the joystick connected, it got stuck throttling and rotating. Disabling the unconnected joystick in AFbW settings fixed the issue.