Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Well, with all due respect, I wasn't going to sit there and read 303 posts.... but I also wasn't going to turn my AV off without some kind of assurance....

But.... I suppose, what harm can it do except kill my partitions... :)

actually, make that 303 PAGES of posts..... :)

but I also wasn't going to turn my AV off without some kind of assurance....

I completely understand, which is why I recommend turning AV back on immediately after downloading and then scanning the file you downloaded. I don't think any AV has ever taken issue with the file itself (which makes sense, since it's not actually malware...) but they don't like the server.

What versions of Kethane and KSP are you running? This is a well-known bug in old versions. Only the latest versions of both Kethane and KSP are supported.

I am using 0.77. I have spoken to Albert VDS, he says that there should not be an issue. So, I am at a loss for a solution.

I've managed to add my own resource to this pack for my own use (for now) but want to change the green hex to a yellow hex. The cfg file has this value

ColorFull = 0.08235294, 0.6901961, 0.1019608

which I assume is the value for green. I've seen in multiple places that these are RGB values - except they're not. RGB values are in the range of 0 ->255. It doesn't seem to be CMYK either. I'm looking for yellow which is 255,255,0 in RGB, or 0,0,1,0 in CMYK.

I've managed to add my own resource to this pack for my own use (for now) but want to change the green hex to a yellow hex. The cfg file has this value

ColorFull = 0.08235294, 0.6901961, 0.1019608

which I assume is the value for green. I've seen in multiple places that these are RGB values - except they're not. RGB values are in the range of 0 ->255. It doesn't seem to be CMYK either. I'm looking for yellow which is 255,255,0 in RGB, or 0,0,1,0 in CMYK.

I'm no expert, but I think those are RGB stored as floats. That is, a percentage between 0 and 1. So, that's 0.0 = 0; 0.5 = 128; 1.0 = 255; Does that make sense?

[EDIT]

Oops, I guess I didn't see the other answers...

Yep - answer provided - thanks. Just need to work out how to make a 1-resource-only sensor ...

[edit] never mind - found the api doco - eventually. That explains how to scan for one resource.

Edited by togfox

Hey There,

i am pretty new to the game and so far having a blast (over 50 hours of game time already within the first week!)

anyways: I found the Kethane mod and tried my best to install it. BUT.....

1. the link in this thread does not work

Why is that ? Is it not working with the current version of KSP ?

I found several versions / archives from the Kethane mod, inclusing:

- Kethane-0.7.7.zip

- Kethane-master-zip (from github)

-a Kethane.rar from some other thread.

2. which one is the "real one?" when i look into toe archives it seems to me in one the models are missing, in others something else....

3. when i got it "to work / load" I can see the modules actually showing up in the VAB. I can select , but not put them on the actual ship. The right spounds pops up, but the fitted module is not showing up.

So, in short: I really need help to get this Mod to work....

I am running KSP V0.21.1.276

any help would be greatly appreciated !!

thx in advance !!

1. the link in this thread does not work

Why is that ? Is it not working with the current version of KSP ?

The link works; read the last few pages of this thread if you're having trouble.

I found several versions / archives from the Kethane mod, inclusing:

- Kethane-0.7.7.zip

- Kethane-master-zip (from github)

-a Kethane.rar from some other thread.

The first one is the latest official release. Where did you see a Kethane.rar posted?

So here's my plan: Send up a giant satellite with 4 or 6 of these Drilling Probes. Upon finding a Kethane-Rich zone, one will detach from the satellite, I will fly it down to the surface, land it with the aid of parachutes, Detach the wings, zero in on the Kethane, and the drills are mounted on door-hinges and swivels, So they will hopefully be intact, and fold outwards, swivel down, then little legs will deploy to stabalize the drill, and the Kethane will deposit into the large storage container, then a Helicopter will be deployed from an aircraft carrier to retrieve it.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

KSP2013-10-0223-58-00-05_zps34cbe78c.png

KSP2013-10-0223-58-07-07_zpseadbef16.png

KSP2013-10-0223-57-52-44_zpsd427c4a9.png

TL:DR: This will be either great or catastrophic! :D

Edited by Rivvik

The link works; read the last few pages of this thread if you're having trouble.

The first one is the latest official release. Where did you see a Kethane.rar posted?

ok thx. reading seems to help :-)

i did deactivate my antivirus and now i have the "official 0.7.7" release.

install was also somewhat ok. i got the mun-start picture with green hexes (yay) and can also assemble kethane modules and they actually stick on the ship.

BUT (there always seems to be a but):

when i move my newly assembled kethane prospector ship to the launchpad, I have a pure sky camera angle and the game does not react anymore. I can switch back to overall space center view, but nothing else.

not even the "quit"-butten works. i had to shut it down using the task manager.

anyone got an idea what might be the problem ?

thx in advance

I installed this and quickly launched three satellites into Kerbin orbit, built a triple launcher with enough fuel to change inclination to put them all in slightly different near polar orbits so it'd scan the planet faster while I started work on Kethane mining and refining equipment.

Welllll. No, it doesn't go faster. Looks like there can only be one active Kethane scanning bird per SOI and they only scan when they're the currently selected ship. That's really going to slow things down. :( I had plans to send three each to Mun and Minmus too but that plan went in the round file.

Is it a limitation of KSP that there can't be more than one actively scanning Kethane satellite per SOI and the player has to babysit the #%#@ things? Kinda exactly the opposite of the concept of an autonomous satellite. :P

Does ISA MapSat suffer from this limitation too?

I installed this and quickly launched three satellites into Kerbin orbit, built a triple launcher with enough fuel to change inclination to put them all in slightly different near polar orbits so it'd scan the planet faster while I started work on Kethane mining and refining equipment.

Welllll. No, it doesn't go faster. Looks like there can only be one active Kethane scanning bird per SOI and they only scan when they're the currently selected ship. That's really going to slow things down. :( I had plans to send three each to Mun and Minmus too but that plan went in the round file.

Is it a limitation of KSP that there can't be more than one actively scanning Kethane satellite per SOI and the player has to babysit the #%#@ things? Kinda exactly the opposite of the concept of an autonomous satellite. :P

KSP in general only does anything on the current focus (with very few exceptions). For quickest scanning, use multiple scanner (2 or 3) so that you can wack the time warp up to arrow 5 without leaving missed hexes. Play with the orbital period and altitude to find the lowest you can use x100 and as the poles get 'filled in', move your inclination down.

Yes it's a KSP limitation

This is just how KSP work. Also this is not ISA...its kethane...

There are ways to scan faster if your willing, read back through the thread as its been discussed countless times

Idea: Retroactive calculated scanning

Calculate all covered ground backwards upon returning to the craft after it has been unfocused for a certain amount of time.

Rails allows you to instantly calculate where an object is located at any given point in time. Adjust for the planet's rotation, and we have a scan-node.

Use this to loop through all passed "units of time", from the time where the scanning craft lost focus, to the time where the craft regained focus. It is OK if this takes a while to compute. Perhaps simply make a right click button "process acquired data".

I suppose that the backwards-calculation would be limited to a certain amount of days or orbits for technical reasons.

Another idea: Client scanners, server processing node

A new component is introduced which takes the role of a server, while all scan-satellites are clients connecting to it.

I propose the server needs to be in the same SOI, or potentially works a bit like remotetech (range, line of sight, relay network)

How it works (technically):

Like scanners check their own position relative to the planet's surface in order to determine the scan node they are on, the server craft will check on the position of its clients.

So every scan period, for each client connected, do a scan on their position.

Should be very doable to code. I think the main hurdle is connecting the crafts, but remotetech, which does this in a very advanced manner, has proven this to be feasible.

The system could be expanded in such a manner that a multitude of scanners together can triangulate signals and allow for all sorts of fancy scanning obit combinations.

How it is used (practically):

Launch a few scanners with antennas into orbit around, say, the mun.

Launch a processing server satellite.

Connect to scan-satellites.

All scanners are now working simultaneously as long as focus is on the server craft.

Edited by Psycix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.