Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

need help guys. I have loaded Kethane 0.6.1. All the parts are where they should be, however when I click on the scanner nothing happens. no movement or action, no map... zilch. I have power also.what am I doing wrong?

need help guys. I have loaded Kethane 0.6.1. All the parts are where they should be, however when I click on the scanner nothing happens. no movement or action, no map... zilch. I have power also.what am I doing wrong?

Right-click the scanner to bring up the menu. Make sure you're not in time warp.

tried that, it acts like no power, but everything else that needs power works. Also I noticed a hex shape on a mapsat satellite map in the area. it went away after a few min. is this

kethane?( I was orbiting kerbin at the time)

When you say installed in the right location can you be more specific? Did you unzip all the files and install them in the parts and plugin directories? Or did you follow the instructions and unzip the entire thing into turn game data folder?

The scan map is a challenging feature, so it's the primary attraction. There are also some particle performance fixes and other minor improvements that will make it in, but I'm only working on those when I get bored/frustrated with the map. My plan is to release as soon as the new map is ready, regardless of whatever other items remain.

Sounds great. The new scanner map sounds like a blast to use. I'm also looking forward to the ability to define multiple conversion recipes in our converters, perhaps that will make it into 0.8. :)

I just cant get over how awesome the mapping will be! It also seems that the new map will help to fine tune ideal orbits a bit more. With the current map it can get hard to tell if your rescanning or not, more so after you scan for a bit. Once 0.7 is released I am going to start working on a kethane specific chart for ideal orbits.

Also I think it was mentioned before that showing multiple resources at once on the hexmap would be to high impact. I could be wrong about that, maybe it was something else.

Nice! Out of curiosity, why the design choice to not show all resources at once on the map? :)

It's a technical challenge. I could simply blend the colors in shared cells, but that could be hard to read. I could split cells into sections, but that would require inserting additional vertices. Currently, every cell has exactly six vertices (pentagons have a center vertex) so cell<->vertex conversions are fast integer operations. Additional vertices would mean using a lookup table and I'd have to write in some way to adjust cells, preferably without rebuilding the entire mesh every time. There's also the problem that I'm running up against the per-mesh vertex limit, so if I want to add many more vertices I need to split the mesh. It's all possible, it's just more work than I want to do right now for a minor detail.

This hex-map looks awesome Majiir. Will other modders be able to use it for their own resources, or scanning for science samples?

Yes. The last screenshots I linked showed Ore from the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod. The first release of the map won't do anything more than show resource scans, but I do have plans to add more. I wrote a custom shader for the grid renderer, so I can texture cells individually and shade those textures by the cell color. So, even without changing the mesh structure at all, there's a lot of flexibility in what the grid can display.

Majiir, the scans look awesome! I can't wait :D It looks very polished, really adding what feels like a core game UI.

As for the showing multiple scans/resources at once. That's a tricky problem and it's cool to know a bit more of the challenges, which you mentioned. In previous posts you mentioned a UI that showed up on mouse click in the bottom right corner. Would you be able to show easily in that info window the different resources at that hex location? (If you haven't already done it). Personally, that would be more than enough to satisfy my hunger for multiple resource crossover. It would allow players to visually toggle to get an approximation on the main map, then click hex's to confirm multiple resource locations. A slightly different solution, but maybe an easier way than dealing with additional vertices or merged colours that still satisfies most demand.

Awesome!

You'll have to be a bit more specific! What situations cause lag? Any errors showing in the debug log? What hardware are you running? What other mods? What sorts of rockets are you flying and where?

Its not only once or twice, it is persisting lag I think from having Kethane installed, I remove it and it runs perfectly at 10 FPS(poker face...no, low end PC)

Edited by Galacticruler
spelling error.

Galacticruler, have you tried changing the "texture resolution" slider in the graphics settings from full res to half res? Actually, I mean one notch down from where it is right now, unless it's already at the lowest setting, in which case I'd suggest setting the Anti-Aliasing setting to 0x (I think it defaults at 2).

Those are the two best ways that I know of to help a lower-end computer run the game at a playable FPS. The texture resolution setting also helps reduce the minimum amount of RAM that KSP needs to use while just idling at the Space Center screen, freeing up that RAM for use by KSP while you're trying to launch 300+ part rockets. It also helps stop the "crashing on 2nd launch" type bugs, which occur when KSP is started with "almost enough" ram.

EDIT: These settings changes don't just help "low-end" computers run the game at a playable FPS either. They help ANY computer run the game smoother than it had been running previously. For example, I started getting crashes every second launch or so after I installed a bunch of mods. However, when I set the texture resolution slider to "half res", the crashing vanished entirely, and I was able to add EVEN MORE MODS! (I'm a mod junkie, and not ashamed of it.) Of course, it was only AFTER I changed that setting that I stumbled upon a KSP forum thread that basically said "having crashing problems? reduce the texture resolution setting to half". That figures. "nothing new under the sun" indeed... :rolleyes:

My computer isn't "low-end" by any means, but it's not the newest stuff either. I've got 6Gb of RAM installed (but somehow my computer thinks it's only got 4Gb..), a Core i7 920, and a Nvidia 460 GTX graphics card. Some of the new games coming out have made me consider building a new system, but I'll probably be able to at least run them on my current setup.

Edited by SciMan

Quite well. You can change any of the particle parameters on the fly, so for an engine you could change its emission rate. This is how the electrical generator exhaust effect works.

I can see how the emission rate would enable throttle, but how exactly can I tie the particle system from the two particle part modules to the engine? I've tried putting them in a config of a part that is just an engine, not related to Kethane, and it doesn't work. I assume this is because the engine isn't looking for the particle systems like the Kethane parts probably do.

I can see how the emission rate would enable throttle, but how exactly can I tie the particle system from the two particle part modules to the engine? I've tried putting them in a config of a part that is just an engine, not related to Kethane, and it doesn't work. I assume this is because the engine isn't looking for the particle systems like the Kethane parts probably do.

Correct. You'd have to write your own module to read the current thrust from the ModuleEngines and relay that to the particle emitters.

Correct. You'd have to write your own module to read the current thrust from the ModuleEngines and relay that to the particle emitters.

Well, guess it looks like I have to finally learn how to program plugins for KSP then. Thanks for clarifying that for me Majiir.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.