Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Somehow your detectors aren't getting enough juice. Also note that satellites are on the "dark side" of a planet half the time if they're in a typical equatorial orbit (a poor orbit for scanning, BTW). Try doing a ground test and watching how fast it drains on the runway, then you can calculate how much power you'll need in orbit. They are electricity hogs for sure, don't underestimate them. My first satellite was dead half the time because I didn't take in the dark side. Best orbit I found was a straight polar orbit, launched at dawn or dusk...satellite stays in the sun and you get 100% coverage as the planet rotates.

I seem to be having a problem with the Kethane map of Minmus, the display flashes up quickly when I zoom in and out of the planet, but is otherwise invisible.

I'm using the latest version of Kethane too

Edit: All the other planets are ok, it's just the Minmus map that's messed up

Edited by Richy teh space man

Has anyone had any problem after attaching the 16,000 capacity kethane tanks radially to other tanks and then filling them with kethane?

Does anyone know if the ridge on that tank has a collision mesh associated with it? (extending the collision body essentially to cover the ridge)

Somehow your detectors aren't getting enough juice. Also note that satellites are on the "dark side" of a planet half the time if they're in a typical equatorial orbit (a poor orbit for scanning, BTW). Try doing a ground test and watching how fast it drains on the runway, then you can calculate how much power you'll need in orbit. They are electricity hogs for sure, don't underestimate them. My first satellite was dead half the time because I didn't take in the dark side. Best orbit I found was a straight polar orbit, launched at dawn or dusk...satellite stays in the sun and you get 100% coverage as the planet rotates.

Hi thanks to the info but I am in a polar orbit and the elect power is 1600 + and not reducing at all

Hi thanks to the info but I am in a polar orbit and the elect power is 1600 + and not reducing at all

I think with the new system it actually only drains power when it fires a scanner pulse...which it only does when it passes over a segment it hasn't mapped yet.

I think.

I think with the new system it actually only drains power when it fires a scanner pulse...which it only does when it passes over a segment it hasn't mapped yet.

I think.

Thanks I have just tried it again on the run way and still same message I am using kerbal ver 0.21.1.276, I also do not see a grid on the moon mun

Thanks I have just tried it again on the run way and still same message I am using kerbal ver 0.21.1.276, I also do not see a grid on the moon mun

If there's no grid, something isn't installed right somehow. Remnants of an older version or something. Or I once put it in gamedata/gamedata/kethane by accident. It...almost worked.

Assuming you've hit the 'show grid' checkbox on the little green config window, that is.

I tried a new method to make my ramscoops, but the game crashes when I try to fly the vessel.

Here's the part code;

MODULE
{
name = ModuleResourceIntake
resourceName = Hydrogen
checkForOxygen = false
area = 0.01
intakeSpeed = 1
intakeTransformName = intake
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Hydrogen
amount = 5
maxAmount = 5
}

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
HeatProduction = 0
InputRates
{
Hydrogen = 5
}
OutputRatios
{
Kethane = 1
}
}

All recent issues reported in this thread should be solvable by updating to the latest version of Kethane.

Just tried removing and reinstalling the latest Kethane version, same problem. Grid on Minmus is messed up. Also, grid has vanished from Duna and Ike now. All other planets are fine though.

Trying to reinstall Kethane on a fresh install now..

Edit: that seemed to work, now just got to narrow down where the problem is..

Edited by Richy teh space man

After I installed kethane, ksp crashes on launch. After messing around a bit, i noticed it only crashes if it is installed at the same time with B9 Aerospace mod. I tried to look it up, but I found nothing so far. Can anyone help me please?

I have lost my Kethane map overlay, how do I get it back ???

satellites still "ping"

Look around in the map view for a small green GUI box (you can move it around so it might be anywhere). This GUI has a button on it that says to show the overlay or not. You might also have minimized the GUI, in which case it will be a tiny green box with just the letter "K" showing.

I just got this mod and was wondering if there is any sort of 'wide angle' kethane detector addon available (obviously the current detectors are narrow angle) to help speed up kethane scanning. I don't really care to let my game run in the background for 51 hours to get the resonance to line up and fill up the map.

Look around in the map view for a small green GUI box (you can move it around so it might be anywhere). This GUI has a button on it that says to show the overlay or not. You might also have minimized the GUI, in which case it will be a tiny green box with just the letter "K" showing.

Thanks for suggestion BUT no luck ;(

Hi Majiir! Is there any news w.r.t. the upcoming 0.8 release?

No news except that designing resource generators is hard. I've been busy with other things for the last couple weeks and will remain busy until this weekend at least. Prior to that, I'd done a bit of work on completely replacing the geodesic grid code. This will only have a minor impact on Kethane, but it will pave the way for radically different features in the future and also other mods (e.g. ISA replacement).

Keptin's also been busy again, but he's already completed a lot of work on the art pass, which should be ready for the next release as well. As far as 0.8 is concerned, a lot of the work on deposit generators was actually already done as of the 0.7.5 release, but the relevant changes haven't yet been packaged into a public release.

I'm planning on skipping over .7.7 (simply because I'm too lazy to grab the update, 0.7.5 works great for me anyways). That isn't gonna come bite me or anything will it? Regardless, curious to see what you'll be doing with the generation and geodesic. That grid is without a doubt one of the best mod features I've ever seen.

Here is an interesting question. With career mode well on the way, and resource mining quite possibly not far behind, what do you plan for Kethane when stock resources are out?

I'm planning on skipping over .7.7 (simply because I'm too lazy to grab the update, 0.7.5 works great for me anyways). That isn't gonna come bite me or anything will it?

Please just download the latest version so I won't have to deal with your bug reports in a week. :wink: I don't put the updates out for giggles; they have important fixes. Updating from 0.7.5 to 0.7.7 is an easy affair; you won't lose any data.

Here is an interesting question. With career mode well on the way, and resource mining quite possibly not far behind, what do you plan for Kethane when stock resources are out?

That's a good one. /s

Planning for stock resources has never ended well. Kethane will continue as normal, albeit without the fervor of development that brought the rapid 0.5 through 0.7 releases. Just to be clear, I didn't implement multiple-resources support in 0.6 just for fun; the plan is to expand the Kethane mod so it has a full-blown resource tree. My vision is rather different than what the KSP developers have shown so far (which I frankly find boring). Consider the UI and all the versatility I've built into it, and I think Kethane will remain relevant for a long time.

Art Pass?

You mean to tell me that one of the best-looking mods in the game is getting even more really, really ridiculously good-looking? (That's two Zoolander quotes in a day. I need to cut back.)

Keep up the good work. This is without a doubt the smoothest, best-integrated mod I've used thus far. Whenever I inevitably hit the memory limit, this and B9 are the two that are never even momentarily considered for pruning. :D

Keptin's also been busy again, but he's already completed a lot of work on the art pass, which should be ready for the next release as well. As far as 0.8 is concerned, a lot of the work on deposit generators was actually already done as of the 0.7.5 release, but the relevant changes haven't yet been packaged into a public release.
Cool. Anything you can show us from the art pass? :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.