Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Idea: Retroactive calculated scanning

Calculate all covered ground backwards upon returning to the craft after it has been unfocused for a certain amount of time.

Rails allows you to instantly calculate where an object is located at any given point in time. Adjust for the planet's rotation, and we have a scan-node.

Use this to loop through all passed "units of time", from the time where the scanning craft lost focus, to the time where the craft regained focus. It is OK if this takes a while to compute. Perhaps simply make a right click button "process acquired data".

I suppose that the backwards-calculation would be limited to a certain amount of days or orbits for technical reasons.

Another idea: Client scanners, server processing node

A new component is introduced which takes the role of a server, while all scan-satellites are clients connecting to it.

I propose the server needs to be in the same SOI, or potentially works a bit like remotetech (range, line of sight, relay network)

How it works (technically):

Like scanners check their own position relative to the planet's surface in order to determine the scan node they are on, the server craft will check on the position of its clients.

So every scan period, for each client connected, do a scan on their position.

Should be very doable to code. I think the main hurdle is connecting the crafts, but remotetech, which does this in a very advanced manner, has proven this to be feasible.

The system could be expanded in such a manner that a multitude of scanners together can triangulate signals and allow for all sorts of fancy scanning obit combinations.

How it is used (practically):

Launch a few scanners with antennas into orbit around, say, the mun.

Launch a processing server satellite.

Connect to scan-satellites.

All scanners are now working simultaneously as long as focus is on the server craft.

I like these ideas, but by no means should it be a requirement for a connection to be established every time the satellite wants to map. The satellite maps autonomously and can store data in the absence of a link. If the complexity of a linkup is still desired then maybe the probe could map but not update until a linkup is possible? Though honestly I think idea A is better. B does sound cool but I don't need a map processed at all until I'm actually focused on that planet and if I have a lot of probes I don't want them bogging down my processor when I'm playing on another planet.

When I try to download this, it says the link is dead, any suggestions or alternative?

I suggest you try again. What are you clicking on? I clicked on 'Download Kethane 0.7.7' and it downloaded it. I tried that just now so the link is not dead..

i tried the link as well and had the same problem, i also tried the link at KSPmodders and it was the same issue as here. it says it could be an issue with too many requests/firewall settings/no net connection. only thing i could think is too many requests maybe? since i am pretty sure it's not my end.

specific error is;

Problem Loading Page- The Connection was Reset

Really wanted to try out kethane too.

I'm also having an issue downloading this. My firewall is popping up and telling me it's malware. False positive or some malicious infection of the file?

The same applied to me, especially with AVAST. Just disable your Av download the file, enable the AV scan the file and after use it.

That happens a lot with lower quality antivirus/protection software. When someone uses a certain ISP or hosting company to distribute malware, they get lazy and blacklist the whole ISP or hosting company rather than the specific site so anyone going to any site there gets a warning.

Temporarily disable your AV protection while downloading and you should have no problem.

I'm sorry if this has been asked 7k times before, but I don't have the time or energy to scan the entire forum for a spesific answer just to save someone from facepalming.

My kethane miner won't mine. It mined a full tank, converted it to liquid fuel, then when I tried to mine another full tank, it would not extract kethane any more. What happened? The green smoke is there, but no kethane enters my tank.

As I said, the very same miner worked earlier just fine. I tried landing another miner, but that one would not mine either, green smoke and everything.

I'm sorry if this has been asked 7k times before, but I don't have the time or energy to scan the entire forum for a spesific answer just to save someone from facepalming.

My kethane miner won't mine. It mined a full tank, converted it to liquid fuel, then when I tried to mine another full tank, it would not extract kethane any more. What happened? The green smoke is there, but no kethane enters my tank.

As I said, the very same miner worked earlier just fine. I tried landing another miner, but that one would not mine either, green smoke and everything.

Are you certain you didn't exhaust the kethane deposit?

Kethane deposits can be exhausted??

Never read anything about that on the wiki

How do I know if it has been exhausted? The scanner shows a green hex still

Tried checking what amount that desposit lists? It's true that the hexes stay green but the amount is still updated and might show 0.

Kethane deposits can be exhausted??

Never read anything about that on the wiki

How do I know if it has been exhausted? The scanner shows a green hex still

Scan it again. Doesn't it show a quantity on the hex grid? I usually put a small kethane scanner on my drilling rigs for this purpose, but I'll admit its been a few versions since I used this mod so perhaps they made deposits inexhaustible now.

It shows 0......thank you

I'm amazed it was depleted that fast, I could swear I only mined 4k of it. And the other deposits has at least 114k. Very odd. And it was a HUGE area, I don't like this. Now I have to relocate my base? 4k kethane only? really?

It shows 0......thank you

I'm amazed it was depleted that fast, I could swear I only mined 4k of it. And the other deposits has at least 114k. Very odd. And it was a HUGE area, I don't like this. Now I have to relocate my base? 4k kethane only? really?

You may have just mistakenly landed on a very small deposit.

Do you eventually deplete a celestial object completely and permanently? Or does the deposits "refill" with time?

You could in theory mine out all kethane on a body but you'd be at it for a very very long time.

I ended up with most of the deposits on Kerbin, especially the really good ones, under water. :( There's a really huge one just south of KSC.

Can that be reset to see if they shift to more accessible locations?

You didn't deplete the deposit, just the cell. According to Majiir (Majiir, correct me if I am wrong), the small drills can only access 100% of the kethane in the cell it's in. The large drills can access 100% in the cell it's in and 50% of teh surrounding cells. It's much more power hungry but is slightly more efficient and can now access more kethane. You only got 4k from that one cell. If you move over to the next cell, you'll have kethane.

Deposit quantities are random in the range 10K-500K.

You didn't deplete the deposit, just the cell. According to Majiir (Majiir, correct me if I am wrong), the small drills can only access 100% of the kethane in the cell it's in. The large drills can access 100% in the cell it's in and 50% of teh surrounding cells. It's much more power hungry but is slightly more efficient and can now access more kethane. You only got 4k from that one cell. If you move over to the next cell, you'll have kethane.

That was just a proposal. Those changes haven't yet been implemented.

Actually, I'am against this proposal.

IMO it will induce too much micromanagement.

If you read the post where he explained the idea, you would be for it. Majiir said that each cell would contain nearly as mmuch fuel as a current deposit does, meaning that, with the big drill, you would actually be able to extract more Kethane before having to move.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.