Doing a surface sample before a flag planting animation has finished, causes loss of ability to board a pod after reloading or gets the Kerbal stuck

Anonymous Bug Reporter

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Intel I5 12600k | GPU: Nvidia 3070Ti | RAM16gb GSKILL ripsaw

Initial Bug Report:

I landed a simple craft on the Mun, all entrances available. I've used the craft before so I know it works. When planting the flag, you can also click and run a science mission, at the same time. After those are finished, you cannot control the kerbal. Quicksave and reload and you'll be able to move the kerbal, but you won't be able to board your ship or grab onto ladders. Reloading a save does not fix it, but completely closing out the game then restarting it and loading a save DOES fix it. You shouldn't be allowed to conduct surface samples or observations while planting the flag, the cause of this bug, to my knowledge. It has happend to me twice and it is repeatable.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Start a new science campaign
  2. Go to VAB
  3. Select Pod
  4. Launch
  5. EVA and move away from the pod
  6. Right click on Kerbal
  7. Plant flag as quickly as possible
  8. Before animation is finished Do surface sample
  9. Wait for both animations to end
  10. Press F5
  11. Press F9
  12. Go back to the pod and try to board

Video Evidence:

Edited by The Space Peacock
Edited the title and description to make the problem more clear.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: Community Fixes, BepInEx, SpaceWarp, UITK | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G | GPU: GTX 1050 Ti | RAM16GB 3200MHz

Welp, title explains exactly what happens. My kerbal is stuck. And he can't get up!
Steps for replication:

Step 1: Plant a flag

Step 2: Do a surface survey in the middle of planting a flag

Step 3: Your kerbal is disabled

Included Attachments:

Edited by The Space Peacock

• 4 weeks later...

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Ryzen 7 5700X | GPU: Radeon 6700XT | RAM32GB

If you preform a surface survey with an EVA kerbal while the flag planting animation is playing, the animation for the sample collection will play on top of the one for planting the flag, quite hilariously leading to the flag floating through the air. However when both animations are finished, the player will soon realize that the kerbal is unable to be controlled by any means. If you f5+f9 from this point then control is granted back to the player, but the kerbal will be unable to interact with any objects such as ladders or command pods. So the kerbal is now stranded outside, unable to reenter the capsule :(. Loading a save from before the glitch was performed will bring things back to normal however, so it isn't the end of the world.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Get a kerbal out on EVA and onto the surface of any celestial body
  2. Right click the kerbal and click "Plant Flag"
  3. While the Flag planting animation is playing, click the "Run Surface Survey" button
  4. The animations should be overlapping and all the previously mentioned effects will occur.

Additional Notes:

• If you reverse the order, and do the Surface Survey before the Flag Planting, the animations will still overlap, but control will be given back to the player as normal.
  • This issue doesn't seem to happen with the crew observation
  • This issue seems like it would be rather common for players to stumble across, wanting to speed up their time of EVA by collecting science while planting their flag, especially as this was common practice in KSP1. Personally I encountered this issue on my first ever mission.
  • My guess for what causes the bug is that there is a line of code that returns controls to the player after the Flag-planting animation is complete, but it doesn't run, or is overridden, for some reason due to some conflict with the Sample Collection animation/script.  Movement controls are likely returned to the player automatically after every quickload, but doesn't give the ability to interact with objects such as ladders.

Included Attachments:

FlagAnimationOverrideBug.mkv