Atmospheric heating above the atmosphere (70km)

dandoesstuff

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G | GPU: GTX 1050 Ti | RAM16GB 3200MHz

I was flying my vessel when i noticed my docking port was gone.

Included Attachments:

wheredockingport.png.1e6d09f19650b00eb88

16 hours ago, dandoesstuff said:

I was flying my vessel when i noticed my docking port was gone.

I had craft with open docking port, but port blew up during ascent below 70km. For now I protect it by nosecone with decoupler to get rid of cone in the orbit. I don't know, is docking port specifically tuned to heat in atmosphere quickly or not

The atmospheric heating is very weird, for my ships attempting to aerobrake back to kerbin, even 64-66km can be too high for my poor command pods/landing can. Yet. it completely ignores the ANT engines attached to the bottom, and the heatshield in the middle (that was... the too small one) on a previous design. I had another ship without a heatshield just fly right into the atmosphere (45-55km) and have a better time, probably because it wasn't a pod, and all the other parts seem to tolerate much much higher temps 

My ship completely exploded at exactly 70000 m.  Had a stable orbit 70-100 km. I was going to enter atmosphere to land the ship. I was in map view and warped 2x until 70000 m. I was not afraid to warp because in KSP 1 the atmospheric heating typically starts as you approach 60000. But at the EXACT number 70000 m, I get a pop-up screen while in map-view - "better luck next time" or something similar, and my ship was deleted. I don't know if the purpose of KSP 2 is that the atmospheric heating starts higher up, or if it was a bug. wish I had a video.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10, 64bit | CPU: 11th Gen Intel I7-11700 @ 2.5GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER | RAM16 GB

Severity - Med-High

Freq - High

Part 1: Temperature Gauges sometime stick around even when exiting the atmosphere

Part 2: Heating threatens to destroy your craft even in the higher parts of the atmosphere 50,000-70,000m. 

Included Attachments:

I was just coming into dock with another vessel, got about 300m away and suddenly my engines decided to heat up and explode even though they weren't even firing. For reference this was with LV-3000 Tuba Engines but not sure if it's part specific. The orbiting vessels were both at about 100,000m for the rendezvous. 

Some of heating at vacuum is normal. When you have heavy tank part which has high termal tolerance, it may still heat other parts with lower heating tolerance. In some chases i would expect stored heat to those larger parts be enought to make smaller parts explode afterwards.

Overally it feels that in KSP 2 now atmosphere and planets physics feels more immersive for me. Maybe not all parts are balanced for thermal re-entry yet, obiviously if player feels them weird.

I believe I found my issue, the Tuba engine heats up the other engines around it very easily, even though visibly the plume is not touching the other engines. Not sure if this is a bug or intended, but it "feels" like the engines shouldn't be heating eachother up. And I don't think that the heat is sinking into the rest of the ship and then going all the way to the other engines, there is a lot of mass to heat up if it was transfering that way.

Also, notice that at the first burn in the video at ~74% throttle, nothing explodes, and then at ~15% percent throttle with the craft in a different orbital orientation the engines heat up and explode quickly. The other craft I was trying to dock with was about 5km away if that matters.

Edited by Ezekiel

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i5-11400F | GPU: GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM16GB

Severity: med
Frequency: med
Description:
As shown in the attached screenshot,
the surface altitude of my vehicle is 131 km, well above the atomshere of Kerbin. So I expect no heat caused by atomsphere.
However, there is heat warning displayed on some parts of the ship, like on the command module, abnormal.

Included Attachments:

CZ2B.json