Escaping Kerbin Mission Has Incorrect Objectives [asked to leave Kerbin SOI rather than to enter Kerbol SOI]

Scarecrow71

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: See previous submissions for list | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 Core | GPU: GeForce RTX 206 Super | RAM32 GB RAM

In the text of the mission "Escaping Kerbin", you are tasked with exiting Kerbin's SOI and heading out to orbit Kerbol.  However, the objectives state only to exit Kerbin's SOI and make no mention of Kerbol at all.  This is confusing as, by the time this secondary mission comes up, you have, at a minimum, already sent 2 craft to the Mun.  You have already left Kerbin's SOI and entered the SOI of the Mun at least twice by this point.  The mission objectives should be updated to state you need to orbit Kerbol.

QmBMkNT.png

Edited by The Space Peacock

5 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Superluminaut said:

But technically you've been in kerbol soi the entire time.

I don't think this is how a new player with a burgeoning but still rudimentary grasp of the concept of an SOI will read the situation. I agree with OP that the game presents the impression during the Mun missions and tutorials that entering the Mun's SOI means leaving Kerbin's, and that the mission objective should therefore clarify that the vessel must enter Kerbol's SOI exclusively.

4 minutes ago, WhereAreTheBathrooms said:

I don't think this is how a new player with a burgeoning but still rudimentary grasp of the concept of an SOI will read the situation. I agree with OP that the game presents the impression during the Mun missions and tutorials that entering the Mun's SOI means leaving Kerbin's, and that the mission objective should therefore clarify that the vessel must enter Kerbol's SOI exclusively.

I agree, technically @Scarecrow71 is correct, but I think anyone would be surprised—and probably be amused over the creativity of the discovered loophole—if the mission could be completed that way.

17 hours ago, Chewedbacca said:

I think this mission may also have a bug - could be related to the mission text. I put a craft into Kerbol SOI (i.e, orbiting Kerbol) and it did not register as a success. Happening for anybody else?

Yea something is bugged here but unrelated to O.P.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.