how do I get to minmus

lukerules117

Make sure you know how to change your inclination first.

A minmus has a very tiny gravity, but slippery surface. I suggest using the same rocket as you did for the mun, just make sure it can handle hills and a trip back home.

Oh, and RCS is mandatory.

Make sure you know how to change your inclination first.

Oh, and RCS is mandatory.

Basically this. If you can get to the Mun and know how to change your inclination you can get to Minmus. Wait until it comes over the horizon and burn until your apoapsis is in line with its orbit. About halfway there change your inclination until you get an SOI intercept.

RCS is never mandatory. I only use it when I am actually physically docking, for just a normal rendezvous I am fine without it.

Launch retrograde (270 instead of 90) circularize the same diameter as minmus's orbit and match inclinations. Then catching minmus won't be an issue. :D

(**note** Not being serious.. though with enough fuel, it'd still work.).

not much difference than going to mun, just need to do a course correction to compensate for the inclination (rotating your plane is more efficient while your orbit is eccentric). you can also time it so minmus is at the ascending/descending node when you get there. minmus has very low gravity so its a hard target to hit, on the other hand its also a slow target so its easy to sync orbits with it if neccisary. you can also take off from/land at minmus with your jetpack (probibly not enough pack fuel for a round trip)

People tell you stupid things -- such as "change your inclination in orbit". Try to forget you were ever told that. It's a huge waste of Delta-V and propellant. The best way to go is to warp until Minmus's orbit is aligned and passes over the launch center. Then launch into a 6 degree inclination (north or south, depending on Minmus's orbit). That way, the second you achieve orbit, you will already be on plane to do the transfer. No wasted delta-v to change inclination later on.

People tell you stupid things -- such as "change your inclination in orbit". Try to forget you were ever told that. It's a huge waste of Delta-V and propellant. The best way to go is to warp until Minmus's orbit is aligned and passes over the launch center. Then launch into a 6 degree inclination (north or south, depending on Minmus's orbit). That way, the second you achieve orbit, you will already be on plane to do the transfer. No wasted delta-v to change inclination later on.
While I do agree with you that that is the cheapest in terms of delta-v, for someone that might not even know what a plane change is, that might be a bit difficult.

Still, it is good that he learn the best way to do it the first time I guess. What I do suggest is you get into an equatorial Orbit anyway and burn at different headings and pitches, so you learn what effects they can have on your orbits.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.