Crafts shift around when using RCS and engines after undocking and rendezvous. [may be caused by impropper separation]

6ar6oyle

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM16GB

After launching a ship and a lander together connected via docking ports, the two craft will behave strangely after undocking and attempting a rendezvous. The craft will shift around in a nonsensical way making a re-docking nearly impossible. RCS will also not work properly sometimes i.e. some thrusters not firing at all or firing in a way that makes no sense. Craft parts may also become jumbled after reloading game.

Included Attachments:

rcsshiftlog.log

rcsshiftbug.mp4

dockedshipslaunch.json

Rcsshiftingwhiledockingsave.json

Edited by The Space Peacock
edited title to be more concise, added note

I've had this once as well. I think it MAY relate to entering physics range while in timewarp, but I've not been able to reproduce it.  It may also be that the game doesn't see the two craft as entirely separate entities?

I'm currently suffering the same issue  (unfortunately around Dres with a ton of science in the lander......). Initally launched as seperate crafts and docked in Kerbin orbit. It's also strange that the other craft keeps pointing at the target as the controlled vessel moves. Didn't do that during the first docking maneuver, had to switch between the crafts like in ksp1.

Update: Just tried sending the Kerbals back to the ship via EVA -> they have the same issue as soon as I switched on RCS. I tried to make sense of the movements but it's just weird. At least the Kerbals moved somelike towarts the ship when not firing the thrusters. So with a combination of the random RCS movements an coasting I could nudge them to the hatch.

But why are the Kerbals on EVA affected as well?

Edited by centaurli
Kerbals on EVA have the same issue

On 1/7/2024 at 1:43 PM, centaurli said:

But why are the Kerbals on EVA affected as well?

I actually forgot that I was having issues with the kerbals as well. They were shifting around in relation to the other ship in the same way when using their rcs pack

One of the things I've been able to decipher is it's causing the target ship to translate when the controlled ship rotates, and the velocity vectors are being calculated based on the ship's command pod or probe core rather than the center of mass. There are many other incorrect accelerations, though, and I've generally noticed it start when I switch between the two vessels (generally while docking I'm making use of the [] keys). Switching vessels in general is very buggy in this game.

I feel like switching vessels while one of the vessels is rotating always leads to some crazy behavior.

I think I also once saw the target ship rotating as I rotated my ship, both ships may be taking control input simultaneously.

Edited by cubinator

So far, I've had this problem only when the orbital lab is involved. Basically, if the orbital lab is involved in the rendesvous at all, everything will shift around wildly when RCS or any type of thrust is used.

EDIT: I stand corrected. This happens without the orbital lab as well, but seems to stop when you quickload with just a kerbal on EVA and a single vessel.

Edited by Scotskerb

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i76700k | GPU: Nvidia 3080 | RAM16GB

Observed when orbiting Minmus. When running RCS thrusters of active vessel, the second vessel in the instance seems to experience a phantom force and it will accelerate on its own in a direction (relative to the active vessel) which does not make sense, given the direction the thrusters are firing. E.G. vessels could be 10 metres apart, thrusting towards second vessel, and second vessel accelerates sideways

Included Attachments: