Is Minmus on a weight-loss program?

UmbralRaptor

Back when 0.15.2 was new, and autom8 didn't exist, I flew a rocket to Minmus and gave what are apparently considered the definitive mass figures.

minmus_orbit_crunching.png

As of 0.17, those are wrong, and Minmus is approximately 40% lighter. This doesn't affect the SOI as badly as one might think, but it's no longer bigger than the Mün's.

Values pulled from autom8 via Nadrek's scripting:

Mass 2.64578967083079E+19 [kg]

Gravitational Parameter 1765800026.31247 [m²/s²]

SOI 2247428.3879023 [m]

Surface gravity 0.05 [G]

I'm guessing that these changes are in addition to undoing the tidal locking, or did they sneak in with 0.16?

On an unrelated note, g == 9.81 m/s², and G == 6.674e-11 N*m²/kg² in the Kerbalverse.

Well, that clears that up. Also, unless I calculated something wrong, a synchronous orbit is interestingly low (~358 km altitude)

edit: Kosmo-not: I'd argue yes. Though slightly harder to get to, for the same reason. OTOH, the rather higher surface speed (9.33 m/s at the equator) may throw less skilled players off?

Edited by UmbralRaptor

Well, you only need a spoon, a big appetite, and the means to travel to the moon of your choice. Bon Appetit!

You could spoon away all day and wouldn't change the density a bit...

Exercise to the reader: Explain why.

edit: Kosmo-not: I'd argue yes. Though slightly harder to get to, for the same reason. OTOH, the rather higher surface speed (9.33 m/s at the equator) may throw less skilled players off?

I don't think anyone would have a problem with a higher surface speed because the navball will switch to surface mode.

Well your assuming it has a uniform density. If you removed all the dirt from earth the density would change as stone is more dense than the dirt. :D

Unless you mean the mass is still on the moon, in which case you need to remove it.

Well your assuming it has a uniform density. If you removed all the dirt from earth the density would change as stone is more dense than the dirt. :D

Unless you mean the mass is still on the moon, in which case you need to remove it.

Correct on both points of course. I reckoned that would overcomplicate things, when I should have been more precise. Better to overexplain than to add more sources of misinformation...

density is mass per unit volume, and assuming the moon in question is only made of one material, then you can not change the moon's density, just its mass and therefore volume. It gets more interesting if that moon is made of more than one material, because then you can sort them out and only take the light stuff away to increase its density. You would still be reducing the moon's mass and volume, but by taking only the light stuff you reduce its volume more than you reduce its mass.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe that the gravity is .05 g. That would make it the same as Gilly, and I know that I can walk around on Minmus much more easily than Gilly.
0.05 G is 0.495 m/s², not 0.05 m/s².
minmus's new mass makes its mass less than that of Bop but minmus is considerably more round, so why is Minmus able to make its self round when Bop can't? shouldn't ether Bop be round or Minmus not be?
Perhaps varying composition affects each world's ability to pull itself into a sphere? In real life, Vesta is more massive than Mimas, but significantly more elliptical. Edited by UmbralRaptor

Perhaps varying composition affects each world's ability to pull itself into a sphere? In real life, Vesta is more massive than Mimas, but significantly more elliptical.

Thx for the IRL example, although Saturn's Mimas is water ice, which would be unlikely for minmus because of how close it is to its star, as Scott Manley pointed out in one of his videos.

Though sense it has a slightly melted look and the solid lakes/seas mabe when ever it was heated it was softer and rounded? still a bit skeptical that it could just be its composition unless u know of a material i dont that would behave at the distance of minmus and kerbin, the way that ice does at the distance of the gas giants.

• 1 year later...