More mission variety ideas

I had 2 ideas today for ksp 2 missions and I hope someone takes note of it haha:

1. People miss having a reason for planes in the mission mode of ksp 1, and though the kerbinwide tour missions are sorta that, they don't really inscentivise planes as much as orbital-drop-podding. I propose a mission where you must fly to multiple locations around kerbin in order to reveal a mystery of what happened to the KSC from ksp 1, getting multiple fragments/parts of buildings around kerbin together, and when you complete it it adds maybe some kind of tribute to ksp 1 to the KSC or such as a cool bonus. Another thing would be  to also  show how kerbals live on kerbin (despite there being no cities). This would be having massive easter eggs of ventilation shafts from their underground cities, giant radar dishes and wind/solar arrays. Just to make it cooler :)
  1. More missions that require multiple steps. Missions that are "go to X location" then after doing so the mission updates and then says "also to Y" as a way to make things more interesting. This could also mean "bring 10 kerbals into orbit around kerbin, THEN wait 1 year without losing EC" so that people have to make more complicated designs.
  2. A bunch of other things can be done, but those are the main 2 things to expand missions greatly. Also missions to have to do with previous missions. Like put a space station in orbit, then a mission to add a new module to that space station or to make it so the space station has 5 more kerbals on it.

Edited by Jaypeg
More ideas given from the discord

19 hours ago, Jaypeg said:

More missions that require multiple steps. Missions that are "go to X location" then after doing so the mission updates and then says "also to Y" as a way to make things more interesting

You can already do that if you prepare your ship enough. There were few missions that required a vessel in different places around Kerbin system, I did all of them with a single probe. Besides - what for? Other than some discoverables, there's not much there. Going to a location for the sake of going to a location isn't exactly interesting.

This could also mean "bring 10 kerbals into orbit around kerbin, THEN wait 1 year without losing EC" so that people have to make more complicated designs

Amd what's the reward? 5 science points? Because that's ridiculously trivial.

Also missions to have to do with previous missions. Like put a space station in orbit, then a mission to add a new module to that space station or to make it so the space station has 5 more kerbals on it.

The devs have been doing everything they could to make the new missions as far from KSP1 contracts as possible, and you're suggesting to go back to that. Again - what for?

13 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

You can already do that if you prepare your ship enough. There were few missions that required a vessel in different places around Kerbin system, I did all of them with a single probe. Besides - what for? Other than some discoverables, there's not much there. Going to a location for the sake of going to a location isn't exactly interesting.

Amd what's the reward? 5 science points? Because that's ridiculously trivial.

The devs have been doing everything they could to make the new missions as far from KSP1 contracts as possible, and you're suggesting to go back to that. Again - what for?

I'm just talking about ways to make missions more engaging/fun/interesting. I understand the want to move away from ksp 1 contracts (they sucked) but I'm just saying ways they could make the gameplay more deep/engaging. Right now missions don't have much more depth from doing just one thing then the mission is over, but players I feel should be pushed perhaps to do more later on. Players should be inscentivised to do some of the coolest and most mechanically engaging things you can do in ksp - modular space stations, rescue missions, etc. I'm not saying to bring back procedural missions (god no) and my example of the 1-year kerbal station was just to show how it could become harder/more interesting to have the game be more fun/difficult to those who feel at times difficulty/depth is lacking at certain stages of the game.

Let me know what you think.

On 1/20/2024 at 3:40 AM, Jaypeg said:

More missions that require multiple steps. Missions that are "go to X location" then after doing so the mission updates and then says "also to Y" as a way to make things more interesting.

I had a contract pack in KSP 1 that did something like this and I hated them. It was always "take a surface sample at this point" a few km from a Kerbal, then "take a surface sample at that point" a few km further away and so on. More than once I had to go rescue a Kerbal that didn't have enough EVA fuel to return or got annoyed that I'd started off with a rover to get to the first few spots but needed a lander to get to the last one, where it would have been better to do them all with a  lander if I had known.

A contract / mission really needs to be upfront about what needs to be done to be completed so the player can choose whether they want to track it. 

11 minutes ago, Robin Patenall said:

A contract / mission really needs to be upfront about what needs to be done to be completed so the player can choose whether they want to track it. 

I agree, multi-goal missions (with known objectives from the start) seems better than multi-step ones (where you discover the next steps along the way).

3 hours ago, Robin Patenall said:

I had a contract pack in KSP 1 that did something like this and I hated them. It was always "take a surface sample at this point" a few km from a Kerbal, then "take a surface sample at that point" a few km further away and so on. More than once I had to go rescue a Kerbal that didn't have enough EVA fuel to return or got annoyed that I'd started off with a rover to get to the first few spots but needed a lander to get to the last one, where it would have been better to do them all with a  lander if I had known.

yeah, def not anything unkown before starting

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.