A Tylo mission that went out of hand

Aevitas

A summary;

Mission: Go to Tylo

What Happened: - Jool encounter, Laythe Gravity assist, Went to Tylo, Landed on Tylo, Re-orbited Tylo, went to Eeloo's SOI, went to Eve's SOI, went to Moho's SOI, and got me about  40K~ science (half from missions, half from science) and returned to Kerbin.

A fun side note, is this marks my second Jool SOI entry, and my first Laythe/Tylo/Eeloo/Eve/Moho anything. 

- - -

All images will be within a spoiler tag subdivison to keep things nice and neat.

Spoiler

Here are the many screenshots that I'm sharing, partly to document, and because I'm very excited. Also exhausted, this mission was around 2-6 hours; I didn't keep track. That includes building of kerbin ascent stage.

--  Kerbin  --

Spoiler

The launchpad! This was actually the 3rd attempt to launch, I did not expect to be able to reach orbit.

lynqJph.jpg

Orbit Insertion! 

7plZwVu.jpg

Orbit!

prbNRtJ.jpg

Jool Transfer Burn!

4BZIBUd.jpg

--  Jool  --

-  Laythe Gravity Assist-

Spoiler

I have so much fuel its completely unnessary, but I wanted to be careful.

KIA9ZeG.jpg\

Beautiful, don't worry laythe... I'll be back.

noCHHL6.jpg

- Tylo -

Spoiler

In Tylo intercept! Very little fuel used because of Laythe's help.

OjT2RQS.jpg

Tylo Orbit achieved! Jool is saying hi

asLIkFA.jpg

Warning! Spoilers for mission location in the Spoiler Tab directly below!

Spoiler

I got this landing spot on, already decoupled the main slow-down stage. (was 4-vector engines)

jnweDfl.jpg

All hail... granddad?

VDcZXtp.jpg

She's sleepy.

SmWj2wv.jpg

After this, I hopped over and did science on the outside of the monument, so I got the Crater too.

Re-Orbiting Tylo!

e9c3HmQ.jpg

Redocking was a fun one, I forgot to put solar panels on the nuclear pusher. So I had to painstakingly get it aligned with just the Tylo lander section. It's so small now! And so much lighter...

GYYesBT.jpg

I wonder if we can go anywhere else?

--  Eeloo --

Spoiler

I knew this from testing, but I have so much hydrogen.

Eeloo intercept! This was pure luck, I did not antipate nor plan to do this.

NV7PMHQ.jpg

Eeloo!

Dytr2VC.jpg

Surely we can't go somewhere else. Right?...

-- Eve --

Spoiler

figures... But wait, that's just a manuveur node!

gtBKUYJ.jpg

Here's what I actually did. An Eve gravity assist, which just so 'happens' to give me low 'orbit' eve with an ejection into Moho's orbit...

MfYKGRc.jpg

I've seen Eve before in videos, but it's really quite beautiful. Can't wait to land and come back...:)

gMAxH2Q.jpg

-- Moho --

Spoiler

Hey, look! A low pass over Moho!

HpAFsXD.jpg

The sun really is blinding here... Wonder why!

R8GC9B9.jpg

-- The End: Kerbin Return --

Spoiler

This was taken right before I entered Moho's SOI, but I had already planned out the Kerbin collision. Yes, Collision. I like just slamming into the plant with interplantary speed.

QpktFCm.jpg

I just wanted to burn a little, the lander came back and slapped me! Fun re-entry at a meager 6,000 meters per second.

VO8qGwA.jpg

Safe splash down

ptb1cLy.jpg

Science Returns

Cropped images

Spoiler

7RPCnR3.jpgUmqcLIX.jpg

And that concludes the mission. My longest, largest, most rewarding mission in all my time playing KSP1; or 2. Not only that, but I reached way, way farther out. And, I have a nuclear pusher that is... mildly... overkill.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.