Salvaging 2 parts from Minmus (JNSQ)

Krazy1

I took 2 contracts to salvage parts from the surface of Minmus. Recovering them separately would be sufficient but not acceptable.

A custom vehicle was designed to fold up into a normal fairing shape, along with a nuclear powered tug that would be reused for a later Moho probe mission. 

BwcZhR1.png

UTLXf6Y.jpg

Y6aQSRl.jpg

xO3xKMe.jpg

bwByorT.png

Bug #1: Attempting to dock with another ship in Minmus orbit to refuel the tug resulted in an negatively damped oscillation between docking

ports... Video:

Trying to undock while "tail wagging" caused explosions...

Yyks7hy.jpg

Tried again- same result... 3rd time I undocked the recovery vehicle from the tug first and that fixed the problem somehow. Tug refueled:

6970ZlR.jpg

Leoczaq.jpeg

WbK4sDn.jpeg

eUbDobI.jpeg

TmcQ6Ll.jpeg

1st part secured. The 53 km drive to the second part took a little over an hour. 

bkN4PWE.jpeg

hpOYXMz.jpeg

rcDFkhg.jpeg

Qyag5KT.jpeg

fs9y1wp.jpeg

This one is... big.

ECRaCUz.jpeg

The arm was removed so it would fit better. Note the total mass is 16t.

SgSTAUv.jpeg

Bug #2: After reloading, the mass doubled. Somehow the nosecone magically filled with fuel. Fortunately I had drain valves along to drain it. Perhaps this is supports the "dark fuel" theory?

2z9vSFR.jpeg

Waited a few days for the tug to pass directly over. 

wNCJBEM.jpeg

hOgzVCk.png

uUM6kx4.png

vddUHAP.png

Re-docked with the tug, reconfigured for Kerbin reentry and tried to balance it better.

Axo7fWv.jpeg

XNWzn1o.png

Did 3 burns at Kerbin PE to reach LKO

VTz6vbW.png

Launched the reentry vehicle 

4QA1JEh.jpeg

Clawing went well. 

a5XsDjv.jpeg

rmP94dt.jpeg

Engine placement could have been better. Used low thrust to avoid burning the payload.

bflsksg.png

Bug #3: Time warped and everything exploded. 

TEjQW2t.png

I'm sure this is was related to the deformed robotic parts and claw on the heli engine. Reloaded and it was OK.

9ZHmHjt.jpeg

VyBpTFd.png

lvZb4sU.png

bBnH2eU.png

Peak temperature was 81%

pWql131.png

SAS struggling to keep it straight with extra drag from the nosecone sticking out past the shield

VCBmTE3.png

Drogues deployed

WjzzfjQ.png

MQqL7nb.png

Parachutes were placed a bit too low and it landed sideways, destroying the top docking port... but the only thing that mattered was the contracts were complete and I made a lot of money... umm I mean...  our brave kerbal survived. Of course.

gQJEu5r.png

Really cool lander/rover! Way more so than my recovery landers which are basically a tug with a clampatron on the bottom of them. I land next to the part and then use a small amount of throttle and RCS to get into place for the touchdown grab. I really like the idea of putting wheels on the hinges to deploy and also using struts to secure the load. Thankyou for sharing! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.