How do you know which way you are encountering a planet?

So I get my maneuver nodes setup for a Jool encounter, time warp to the SOI, and notice that I'm encountering Jool retrograde to the motion of the moons around it.  Is there a way to be able to tell what direction I am encountering a system?  The maneuver node system doesn't give you anything other than a blue line.  It doesn't show you your direction of travel relative to the system you are entering.

There are two markers on the map, body encounter and escape. And I think the circles on SOI go in different directions depending on that, one pulses outwards, the other inwards.

But also

8 minutes ago, Biggen said:

I'm encountering Jool retrograde to the motion of the moons around it

On Jool it's hardly an issue, SOI is so vast that changing the trajectory to the other side of the planet when you're on the edge is super cheap on fuel.

1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

There are two markers on the map, body encounter and escape. And I think the circles on SOI go in different directions depending on that, one pulses outwards, the other inwards.

But also

On Jool it's hardly an issue, SOI is so vast that changing the trajectory to the other side of the planet when you're on the edge is super cheap on fuel.

I'll have to look closer at the circles then.  I thought there were just kind of generic "bullseye" markers.

I didn't even think to try changing direction.  I know its always costly at most other planets but, you are right, Jool SOI is so big it would have worked.  Thanks!

17 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

So I just checked this.  The bullseye markers are "backwards" in my mind. The circles that converge "inwards" shows you exit path out of the system while the circles that converge "outwards" so you entrance to the system.

I mean, shouldn't that be the other way around??

Edited by Biggen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.