Add Scatter Collision When Colonies Update Drops

I want to suggest that once colony building comes out the developers turn on collision for the scatter on the various celestial bodies. Having the rocks (and trees on kerbin) have collision would bring slightly more challenge to landing on each planet or moon and would make driving around on rovers and such more realistic. I don't like driving straight through a giant bolder on the surface of Duna, even if it makes the trip a little quicker. 

This raises the question: "Why wait until the colony update?" 

I think being able to build colonies is very important before turning on scatter collision because with colonies we can make our own flat runways for space planes as well as large landing pads if we need something flat to land our lander. There is enough flat land around a planet to land a lander that can build your colony and then after that you can make it much easier for the next mission to said planet. 

I think collision would be a welcomed addition to the game but I appreciate not having to worry about the rocks in the sand while landing a plane on laythe beaches while I can't make a runway for it.

yhea but there is a lot of terrain scatter so it would have an impact on performance. i think it would be better if some planets had rougher terrain. i mean theres no cliffs every planet is basically a hard desert

I guess that is true but they would only need to calculate the scatter within a couple meters of your vessel to detect if you run into it, its not like they have to calculate every scattered rock on the planet/moon at once. I think it's one of those things that is small but makes the game look like it has a bit more polish. Everyone wants the game closer to its full potential so it would be another thing for the community to enjoy if it came with the colonies update.

17 hours ago, Presto200 said:

I guess that is true but they would only need to calculate the scatter within a couple meters of your vessel to detect if you run into it, its not like they have to calculate every scattered rock on the planet/moon at once. I think it's one of those things that is small but makes the game look like it has a bit more polish. Everyone wants the game closer to its full potential so it would be another thing for the community to enjoy if it came with the colonies update.

This is true, exception is problems then loading and you stand on scatter with an rover. 
Its an issue that some Easter eggs like moheart will make your lander jump a lot using the large landing legs or medium rover wheels at least. Did not get it with the small landing legs.
Rover wheels as springs to minimum. 

Edited by magnemoe

I think that's very much an issue of something equivalent to physics easing not being present at the mooment. The game still needs a better way to handle the collision state of things post load

34 minutes ago, mattihase said:

I think that's very much an issue of something equivalent to physics easing not being present at the mooment. The game still needs a better way to handle the collision state of things post load

I agree, like landers falling trough ground at end of timewarp, In KSP 1 I pretty much stopped using landing legs, and mostly used retractable wheels from DLC or mod.
But KSP 2 is worse here in KSP 1 it was mostly an issue with bases and mining so weight had changed on load. 

IDK, I had a lot of issues with it with just regular (if high mass) vehicles in 1.

As it's looking, 2's colonies would probably solve the mining issue, just not the effecting regular craft issue.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to make an amendment to this post, specifically after watching Matt Lowne's most recent KSP2 video:

Matt Lowne struggling with rover wheel physics bugs:  35:30 - 43:40

I don't usually build or drive rovers in the game so I guess I was blind sighted to what that experience is like in the current game. seeing him drive a rover and all the bugs from that is very disheartening and I hope these things get fixed soon, hopefully in the next patch. Anyways, if we want to talk about that more we should make our own forum thread for that, in terms of this thread I'd like to make an amendment that small rocks are fine to not have collision, but medium to large rocks definitely should.

I'm going to use some screenshots from his video to be more specific:

Small (no need for collision because then driving would be no fun):

small-rocks.jpg

Medium (I'd appreciate collision so that you don't just drive in a straight line all the time, also assuming wheel bugs are fixed by then):

mediumrock.jpg

Large(obviously collision should be turned on for these):

largerock.jpg

Hopefully these amendments to my original post is well recieved, I really do think this is an important thing to add a bit more immersion in the game. 

P.S. somebody with more experience driving rovers in the game should make a thread about that

Maybe have it optional setting and not as a must, so people with lower spec PCs don’t have the consequence of to much performance drop. I fear it is going to cost to much of performance and/or DEV time which I prefer will be used for other systems at the moment. Maybe they should start with the bigger object and slowly work down to the smaller rocks.