Laythe "shores" surface -- anyone else having physics issues? (tires sinking below the sand/etc) ??

CFTeague2

Hi all.

Im playing a modded EXPLORATION mode, and Im at laythe now with my SSTO to investigate a misssion target down here.

But the ground here, in both the "shores" and the special biome area, are giving me a lot of trouble.    The plane's tires "sink in" about the height of the tire, sometimes.     When this happens, there is a tremendous drag on the craft, resisting motion.    Its like its in a tar pit.   

-- To estimate how strong the drag is, I was able to run the whiplash engines from a stop for several seconds, and get up to about 6 or 9 m/s  (then I'd turn off the engines for fear of parts breaking).     But in a "normal" situation, I would have expected to be going 50 m/s, or more.   easily.

An EVA'd kerbal can also "sink in" and when this happens, they seem to become uncontrollable, doing a "floating" or "swimming" animation.    I have been able, sometimes, to recover, by using the RCS jetpack.    Other times Ive been forced to go back to my most recent save.

Since it's a "shores" biome.   possibly, there's some interaction with the ground surface, and the water level, which probably is only just below ground level, here.

Steam screenshot -- you can see one of the tires is sunken below ground.   This is the visible result when it happens.   

(warning, very minor spoiler with the special biome name displayed in the screenshot, on a mod's popup window)

Thanks!

-CFTeague2

44 minutes ago, CFTeague2 said:

tires "sink in" about the height of the tire, sometimes

Must be Sand Worms sliding by, causing the surface to be ‘soft’ ;p:joy:

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bug, not specific to Laythe or to shores... My advice for this one is to return to the KSC, time warp for quite some time and return to your ship. It can correct the bug for some time.

I had the same problem, and for me, warping in the early mornig was the solution, but on another mission, the morning was not ok... so i think  warping for beeing on the other side of the planet should be good :)

Something seems to be interacting on the ground, maybe Jool Gravity ?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having this same problem, trying to land my spaceplane near the "It Came From Laythe" target. I would say 1 out of 10 attempts, the plane doesn't instantly explode, but the plane sort of porpoises from the first touchdown, and explodes on the second touchdown. Mostly the plane just explodes instantly as the wheels drop about 1ft below the 'surface' of the beach. 

Really frustrating that this mission, and "Under Pressure" are riddled with bugs that make then very difficult to complete. I'll keep any eye on this thread in case anyone finds a workaround that would allow for beach landings on Laythe (time warp didn't work for me, nor did landing early in the Laythe morning)

UPDATE: I cheated a bit and teleported a rover onto the shore near the fossil. I noticed that during the day, it would sink into the ground in certain places, but at night, it would drive on top of the surface normally. I tried landing my spaceplane on the shoreline at night (no easy task, as I had no landing lights), and was able to land on the first attempt! So give landing at night a try, until this bug gets addressed.

Edited by brispo