KSP Crashes Right After Loading a Save

3 hours ago, Aviator01 said:

KSP crashes whenever I try to load a save. I have tried loading multiple saves with no success.

Unfortunately, this site is conditioning the download of the file to click and accept installing a thingy called... OperaGX?

(links and images removed, only text)

To continue the download of the KSP.log - complete the offer below

OperaGX: Install and Open

Complete 1 more offer(s) to continue

By downloading the file you are hereby agreeing to our terms and conditions.

Sorry, dude, no way.

Publish the file in some service that would allow me to download the thing without this kind of gotchas and I will help.

Dropbox, google drive, sent it to me by email or use the Discussions on github of some add'on of mine if needed, whatever.

Cheers!

12 hours ago, Lisias said:

Unfortunately, this site is conditioning the download of the file to click and accept installing a thingy called... OperaGX?

(links and images removed, only text)

To continue the download of the KSP.log - complete the offer below

OperaGX: Install and Open

Complete 1 more offer(s) to continue

By downloading the file you are hereby agreeing to our terms and conditions.

Sorry, dude, no way.

Publish the file in some service that would allow me to download the thing without this kind of gotchas and I will help.

Dropbox, google drive, sent it to me by email or use the Discussions on github of some add'on of mine if needed, whatever.

Cheers!

I agree, that is extremely suspicious and I will try to find another file sharing site. Strangely enough, I have used this file sharing website before and this is the first time that it has done this.

17 hours ago, Aviator01 said:

KSP crashes whenever I try to load a save. I have tried loading multiple saves with no success.

KSP.log

Gee... It was a "hard crash", the KSP.log suddenly stops here:

[LOG 16:42:03.992] KK: [CareerState] Load: Stopwatch: "Loading" elapsed time: 00:00:00.0000055

I doubt KK has any involvement on the matter, because  it finished doing its business. On a wild guess, the next step on the loading process triggered the hard crash, but it is so devastating that it kills Unity itself.

I have some guesses, but I would prefer to check the Unity's Player.log first to avoid wasting time with false positives.

Check this thread for how to fetch it:

Or just read the cheat sheet below :D

Windows:
- 1.8 or newer:
 %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log

Where %USERPROFILE% is where your Windows' home directory is. If your windows login name is aviator01, it is probably on C:\Users\aviator01 . So the file you want would be C:\Users\aviator01\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log

21 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Gee... It was a "hard crash", the KSP.log suddenly stops here:

[LOG 16:42:03.992] KK: [CareerState] Load: Stopwatch: "Loading" elapsed time: 00:00:00.0000055

I doubt KK has any involvement on the matter, because  it finished doing its business. On a wild guess, the next step on the loading process triggered the hard crash, but it is so devastating that it kills Unity itself.

I have some guesses, but I would prefer to check the Unity's Player.log first to avoid wasting time with false positives.

Check this thread for how to fetch it:

Or just read the cheat sheet below :D

Where %USERPROFILE% is where your Windows' home directory is. If your windows login name is aviator01, it is probably on C:\Users\aviator01 . So the file you want would be C:\Users\aviator01\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log

Here's the player log: Player Log

7 minutes ago, Aviator01 said:

Here's the player log: Player Log

Apparently you did, but I need to ask: did you reproduce the problem (i.e., loading a savegame and then seeing the thing crash and burn into Desktop) before sending me log?

Just now, Lisias said:

Apparently you did, but I need to ask: did you reproduce the problem (i.e., loading a savegame and then seeing the thing crash and burn into Desktop) before sending me log?

No, however I have not played KSP since the crash and if the player log records the most recent KSP instance then it should be up to date.

2 minutes ago, Aviator01 said:

No, however I have not played KSP since the crash and if the player log records the most recent KSP instance then it should be up to date.

Well, whatever happened, it literally killed the whole process on the spot. Sudden death, instakill. It's like Thanos snapping the fingers using the Infinity Gauntlet on the process.

KK was only the poor stand-up guy trying to load something when the whole process got instakilled by Windows.

Such a drastic measure bypassing the Unity's crash handlers in the C++ Land means that something wrong happened in the Kernel domain, that so panicked and just bluntly removed the whole process from the system as a last measure resort to keep the system alive for time enough to at least log the event.

The Windows' system log should have the exact information about the event, but I have a guess about what could be happening.

I think you blew up your VRAM capacity, and this somehow leaded to the chain of events that ended up with the process being killed.

It may be a NVidia driver bug, or it may be a unfortunate interaction between Principia e KSPCF, as both these things make some deep changes on the KSP's internal software stack, and it's probable that one of them ended up stepping on the other's toes when things started to go to hell. Principia is more likely to be directly involved on the mess (being a victim or the perpetrator) as it makes heavy use of C++ too, but I know that patching the runtime using Harmony may lead to some unforeseen side effects (like about handling App Domains when CIL code is patched in memory).

But, and again, I'm throwing "things" into a wall hoping for something to stick.

First, let's see if VRAM is, indeed, involved. Make a full copy of the whole KSP installation to somewhere else (like the Desktop, it makes it easier to locate it later). From this point, use only full backups because this is going to be destructive.

First, remove ReStock and all partsets what makes heavy use of high definition textures. This will shrink the VRAM footprint considerably. Then try to load a savegame again (it may fail, but a savegame failling to be loaded instead of crashing the process is a progress!)

This failing, remove Scatterer. Try again.

This failing, remove KSPCF. Try again.

At this point, my only suspect would be Principia - but let's worry about it later. If after removing KSPCF things still blows up, send me again the new KSP.log AND Player.log - chances are that they can provide us, now, with some new information.

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

Well, whatever happened, it literally killed the whole process on the spot. Sudden death, instakill. It's like Thanos snapping the fingers using the Infinity Gauntlet on the process.

KK was only the poor stand-up guy trying to load something when the whole process got instakilled by Windows.

Such a drastic measure bypassing the Unity's crash handlers in the C++ Land means that something wrong happened in the Kernel domain, that so panicked and just bluntly removed the whole process from the system as a last measure resort to keep the system alive for time enough to at least log the event.

The Windows' system log should have the exact information about the event, but I have a guess about what could be happening.

I think you blew up your VRAM capacity, and this somehow leaded to the chain of events that ended up with the process being killed.

It may be a NVidia driver bug, or it may be a unfortunate interaction between Principia e KSPCF, as both these things make some deep changes on the KSP's internal software stack, and it's probable that one of them ended up stepping on the other's toes when things started to go to hell. Principia is more likely to be directly involved on the mess (being a victim or the perpetrator) as it makes heavy use of C++ too, but I know that patching the runtime using Harmony may lead to some unforeseen side effects (like about handling App Domains when CIL code is patched in memory).

But, and again, I'm throwing "things" into a wall hoping for something to stick.

First, let's see if VRAM is, indeed, involved. Make a full copy of the whole KSP installation to somewhere else (like the Desktop, it makes it easier to locate it later). From this point, use only full backups because this is going to be destructive.

First, remove ReStock and all partsets what makes heavy use of high definition textures. This will shrink the VRAM footprint considerably. Then try to load a savegame again (it may fail, but a savegame failling to be loaded instead of crashing the process is a progress!)

This failing, remove Scatterer. Try again.

This failing, remove KSPCF. Try again.

At this point, my only suspect would be Principia - but let's worry about it later. If after removing KSPCF things still blows up, send me again the new KSP.log AND Player.log - chances are that they can provide us, now, with some new information.

Removing Principia solved the issue. (I also removed Restock and Scatterer but I did not remove KSPCF as it was a dependency for a lot of mods) Is there a way to get it to work with Principa at all?

8 minutes ago, Aviator01 said:

Removing Principia solved the issue. (I also removed Restock and Scatterer but I did not remove KSPCF as it was a dependency for a lot of mods) Is there a way to get it to work with Principa at all?

Without knowing exactly what and why is borking, no.

It's the reason I choose to left Principia to be the last one to be removed.

You should really try to remove KSPCF and put Principia back to see what happens. Otherwise we will not know to whom ask for help.

If Principia borks without KSPCF installed (better, without Harmony at all), then the issue is surely on Principia and you should reach them for help.

If Principia works without KSPCF installed, then the issue is related to KSPCF and they would be the dudes you need to reach for.

32 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Without knowing exactly what and why is borking, no.

It's the reason I choose to left Principia to be the last one to be removed.

You should really try to remove KSPCF and put Principia back to see what happens. Otherwise we will not know to whom ask for help.

If Principia borks without KSPCF installed (better, without Harmony at all), then the issue is surely on Principia and you should reach them for help.

If Principia works without KSPCF installed, then the issue is related to KSPCF and they would be the dudes you need to reach for.

I removed KSPCF, reinstalled Principa, and the game loaded without any issues. However, KSPCF was a dependency for a lot of other mods and I wonder if any of those mods caused the issue instead of KSPCF.

48 minutes ago, Aviator01 said:

I removed KSPCF, reinstalled Principa, and the game loaded without any issues. However, KSPCF was a dependency for a lot of other mods and I wonder if any of those mods caused the issue instead of KSPCF.

It's a possibility. But to be sure about that, some heavy testing in on the way - do you have plans for this weekend? :P

Reinstall only KSPCF and try to run your test bed again. This will rule out KSPCF at once, or will definitivelly pinpoint it as the cause of the problem.

If Principia borks by installing only KSPCF, then you already have a minimum test session to reproduce the problem and can file a bug report on the KSPCF guys.

It would be nice to also post an alert on the Principia's thread about the subject, once the KSPCF guys give you a feedback about the problem and, perhaps, a workaround. But I'm jumping the gun here, let's first be sure about the source of the problem.

Do you use CKAN or similar tool?

19 hours ago, Lisias said:

It's a possibility. But to be sure about that, some heavy testing in on the way - do you have plans for this weekend? :P

Reinstall only KSPCF and try to run your test bed again. This will rule out KSPCF at once, or will definitivelly pinpoint it as the cause of the problem.

If Principia borks by installing only KSPCF, then you already have a minimum test session to reproduce the problem and can file a bug report on the KSPCF guys.

It would be nice to also post an alert on the Principia's thread about the subject, once the KSPCF guys give you a feedback about the problem and, perhaps, a workaround. But I'm jumping the gun here, let's first be sure about the source of the problem.

Do you use CKAN or similar tool?

I tested KSP with both Principa and KSPCF and it works without any issues. The issue is probably in one of the mods that KSPCF was a dependency for.

5 minutes ago, Aviator01 said:

I tested KSP with both Principa and KSPCF and it works without any issues. The issue is probably in one of the mods that KSPCF was a dependency for.

Meno male. :)

Check Kerbal Konstructs first. It was the one directly involved on the crash.

17 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Meno male. :)

Check Kerbal Konstructs first. It was the one directly involved on the crash.

I installed Kerbal Konstructs and it still works.