Possible to go from Mun to Minimus?

I’ve never seen this before but I want to tey and make a starter rocket that can get to Mun AND Minimus to maximise Science obtained. Is it possible to do it directly somehow? It might be crazy as the Mun orbit will not be circular and instead be like the Artemis missions - in a halo orbit.

It's possible and actually not very difficult, once you get the hang of it. In fact, it's just like travelling between the planets but scaled down. 

16 hours ago, TheSilentPearl said:

I’ve never seen this before but I want to tey and make a starter rocket that can get to Mun AND Minimus to maximise Science obtained. Is it possible to do it directly somehow? It might be crazy as the Mun orbit will not be circular and instead be like the Artemis missions - in a halo orbit.

of course it's possible; why wouldn't be?

from an equatorial circular orbit, it's extremely easy and cheap. you can do the transfer with less than 300 m/s, including the cost to circularize in a low minmus orbit. in fact, i've seen the transfer recommended as training for interplanetary missions, because the kind of maneuver required to go from mun to minmus is exactly identical - albeit cheaper and faster - than the one required to go from kerbin to duna, or to any other planet.
from a high polar orbit it's going to be a lot more difficult; you have to time your burn so that you exit prograde to mun. trying it could be good training.

Basically, if you've ever navigated the Joolian system - it will be more or less the same deal.

I would personally advise launching into minmunar inclination and going there first as you can get away with a lower TWR AND Mun's SOI is much bigger than Minmus's so easier to get a capture from there even while in minmus' plane. More often than not, I have to deal with the mun getting in the way as is when I'm returning from Minmus. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

When you plot a LKO to Minmus transfer or a return trajectory, Mun gets in the way every so often. It is entirely possible to visit Minmus, and intercept Mun on the way back for a flyby (or even a longer mission if you have the delta-v for it).

• 1 month later...