KSP2 without the KSP2

I used to be really into KSP and mods here, but have been gone... well, pretty much since a bit before KSP2 was announced. So I'm rather out of date on the state of the modding scene for KSP1 and what the local genius modders have whipped up over the past several years.  So here's what I'm wondering -

How many of KSP2's vaguely planned features can be approximated by existing KSP1 mods?

1. Let's start with colonies, since that was at least something we had a number of answers for back in 2019. Colony parts mods are reasonably plentiful, but how about ISRU and off-Kerbin construction? Is Extraplanetary Launchpads still the primary answer there, or has a successor come along? Mama needs a proper orbital shipyard.
    1. Any answer for automation and/or resource shipments?
  2. How about future tech progression? Those fancy metallic hydrogen engines and the like. 
    1. Can one make a reasonable tech progression mod collection from vanilla up through theoretical, or even FTL?
  3. How about rare resource acquisition? Any mods that give unique reasons to visit various planets? Maybe we need Jool for proper production of H3, or can only find exotic matter for top-tier tech out on Eeloo (or beyond).
  4. Which leads into our interstellar options. I know Kopernicus supported multiple star systems, but it's one I never played with. How well could one use that to create an interstellar space program, starting from Kerbin?
  5. Most important... how well can the KSP1 engine be made to function with this theoretical mod list? Assuming a relatively decent*, but not bleeding-edge modern PC. Don't care about running graphics at max shiny, just want more than like, 5fps average late in a space program, especially if I have anything resembling a respectable satellite network.

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction of answers for any or all of these. I've felt the KSP itch again for a while now, but kept holding out hope that KSP2 would go somewhere, if I just waited a little bit longer. :(

* Core i7-14700KF, 16GB ram (to be expanded), Radeon RX 7800 XT, m.2 ssd games drive,

On 6/8/2024 at 9:24 AM, Jarin said:

Any answer for automation and/or resource shipments?

Wild Blue Core  - Automatic Supply Line from this ultra-light mod. That's repeatable supply missions. Can be configured to cost money to run. SimpleLogistics allows to set up a resource network in 2km radius and one-time request from it, or plug into it completely (like in USI but without USI).

Is Extraplanetary Launchpads still the primary answer there

Yes. Sandcastle, will give you modern parts with simpler mechanics. Also Keridian Dynamics and KPBS for smol bases have modern parts. Jade is doing some huge buildings and ISRU structures and foundations but not released yet.  You can produce Kerbals by MoarKerbals.

• How about future tech progression? Those fancy metallic hydrogen engines and the like. 
    1. Can one make a reasonable tech progression mod collection from vanilla up through theoretical, or even FTL?
  • How about rare resource acquisition? Any mods that give unique reasons to visit various planets? Maybe we need Jool for proper production of H3, or can only find exotic matter for top-tier tech out on Eeloo (or beyond).

FFT gets you fully covered. Exotic engines and ISRU system SpaceDust for them. 

KSP1 engine be made to function with this theoretical mod list

You still need a beefy PC, specifically fast single-core performance of CPU, and 16-32GB RAM. 4+GB VRAM if you love part packs. Heavily (absolutely) recommended to run KSPCommunityFixes, i'm currently on alpha version and have like 80fps on huge colony scene. Turn on Commnet Throttling in its configs, too, since you're talking satellite network.

I've been on a long KSP "vacation" for a while too, it really became cooler. Especially after Kopernicus fixed the interstellar landing gear problems. Having plenty of fun currently, hope you will, too.

On 6/8/2024 at 2:24 AM, Jarin said:

[heavy snipping for brevity] Any answer for automation and/or resource shipments?

I vaguely recall a mod maintained by LinuxGuruGamer for automated missions. I have not used it but if you check his mods on CKAN you'll likely find it. [edit: that mod is Kerbal Space Transport System; Grenartia replied below]

My preference is to use HyperEdit to avoid boring repetition. After I build a tanker or freighter and prove it works, I just use HyperEdit to magically refill fuel depots as a shortcut. IMO it's an acceptable amount of cheating in Sandbox, Science, and even late Career when funds are no longer a constraint.

Edited by DeadJohn

6 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

I vaguely recall a mod maintained by LinuxGuruGamer for automated missions. I have not used it but if you check his mods on CKAN you'll likely find it.

My preference is to use HyperEdit to avoid boring repetition. After I build a tanker or freighter and prove it works, I just use HyperEdit to magically refill fuel depots as a shortcut. IMO it's an acceptable amount of cheating in Sandbox, Science, and even late Career.

I think you're referring to KSTS:

It would be nice to get some resources on certain planets that aren't minable on the rest so we have to do the colony building there to build advanced technologies like what were were promised in KSP2.   I guess we could 'fake' it and pretend Kerbonium or whatever isn't minable until we get to Tylo but I'd rather it was an actual feature of a KSP2 colonylike mod.

On 6/14/2024 at 10:34 AM, Hohmannson said:

Wild Blue Core  - Automatic Supply Line from this ultra-light mod. That's repeatable supply missions. Can be configured to cost money to run.

It can cost money? Would you please be able to point to where/how this can be done?

Edited by ttikkoo

3 hours ago, Hohmannson said:

In ModuleSupplyLine - ChargeForResources and PayFlatFee  parameters true/false

Ah I thought it was a variable in the config file but turns out it's in the .cs source files! Welp, no idea how to edit and/or compile that but I've been meaning to learn more about it anyways! Thanks for the information.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.