Kerbal X In Mun Escape Trajectory With No Fuel!

3 of my kerbals are stuck on an escape trajectory from the mun and i cant send them back the craft has no fuel remaining, I need some help to save my 3 kerbals from living the rest of there lives in high kerbol orbit (this is in a sandbox save)

Spoiler

If they're escaping Mun but still in Kerbin's SOI, you should be able to built a a ship that can reach and rescue them. Make an upper stage with a lot of fuel but small engines, which gives it long range, and then build something under that which can carry it to orbit. 

9 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

If they're escaping Mun but still in Kerbin's SOI, you should be able to built a a ship that can reach and rescue them. Make an upper stage with a lot of fuel but small engines, which gives it long range, and then build something under that which can carry it to orbit. 

The craft is still in Kerbins SOI but i do not have the ability to build such a rocket

9 minutes ago, SolMonster3318 said:

The craft is still in Kerbins SOI but i do not have the ability to build such a rocket

Just takes practice. :) Give it a try. If it fails you'll still learn something to apply to your next attempt. 

4 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Just takes practice. :) Give it a try. If it fails you'll still learn something to apply to your next attempt. 

ok

11 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

but i did just kill another 5 kerbals

4 hours ago, SolMonster3318 said:

ok

but i did just kill another 5 kerbals

can't you reload the game?

if you have decided to make a no reload career without having much practice, then a golden advice is: don't send a crew unless you really need to. in  a rescue mission, you most definitely don't need no crew. especially not a crew of 5.

anyway, there are ways to rescue your kerbals, but the fast ones require some skill. namely, while your ship is still in kerbin's SoI, you can send another ship, with lots of deltaV, and aim to pass close to the first one. it's tricky because the game won't give you a close approach. So you have to take your original ship trajectory, decide on a position, for example mark a point where the ship will be in 10 days. then find a traectory with the rescue ship that will pass close by in 10 days. once you're close to the ship to be rescued, use the navball. it will take quite a bit of fuel too, especially to revert the trajectory after the rescue. if you accidentally stranded 3 kerbals on a kerbin escape trajectory, and then you accidentally killed 5 kerbals on a rescue mission, then you most likely don't have the skill for that maneuver.

which leaves the slow option. your lost ship will go in solar orbit. just send the rescue ship in solar orbit to rendez-vous with it. it's not much different than doing it in kerbin orbit, it's just a lot slower.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2024 at 12:46 PM, Vanamonde said:

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. 

I know I'm late to the thread, but this is too good to pass up:

Spoiler

I do not like green eggs and ham,

I will not eat them, lead mod man!

I will not have them on the Mun,

Not even in an airtight room.

I do not want them while I fly,

More so since these missed the sky.

For it seems truly rude and rash,

To have eggs made from Kerbal hash!

Anyway, in the interests of offering something a little more on-topic, @SolMonster3318, if it helps at all, you should know that most people who play this game learn how to do rendezvous from doing rescue missions.  It's become something of a meme, and though this won't tell you how to rescue your lost crew, I offer it in the hope that you can both laugh and appreciate that this sort of thing has been going on since the beginning.

Keep at it, and soon enough, you'll not only know how to rescue your crews when things go wrong, but you'll also know enough about why and how they went wrong to keep them from happening in the future.

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.