Nodes attaching backward

54 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

For some reason, many of the attach nodes on many parts in my game are connecting backwards. They attach on the inside of the part instead of the top of it.

Can you give an example of a part those nodes are fine, and a part those nodes are screwed?

Additionally, can you publish the ModuleManager.ConfigCache too?

26 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Can you give an example of a part those nodes are fine, and a part those nodes are screwed?

Additionally, can you publish the ModuleManager.ConfigCache too?

It stopped doing it, but the proteus command pod from Near-future technologies didnt have the issue, while the rockomax brand adapter did.

Config Cache:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19VC63liTHc39A-jl1k0cV-wt9mbuYDcc/view?usp=sharing

4 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

It stopped doing it, but the proteus command pod from Near-future technologies didnt have the issue, while the rockomax brand adapter did.

Since the problem stopped happening out of the blue, it's not something I would detect on the ConfigCache. It's something on code, at runtime. Worst, it's something transient and apparently random.

On a wild guess, perhaps a new weirdness due asymmetric CPUs? Nope, your CPU is a i7-10750H and it has 6 symmetrical cores (2 hyperthreads each).

Anyway, I inspected your ConfigCache anyway - at least I will document WHAT IS NOT happening:

proteus :: Mk1-TMA
        node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.0172, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
        node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.251, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1

rockomax adapter :: largeAdapter
        node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.75, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
        node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.755, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

The information I quoted above are how we define the position and the orientation of the attach nodes for Stack Top and Stack Bottom, the ones that were biting you. The first 3 numbers are the X,Y,Z local coordinates of the node (in meters), the following 3 are a normal vector pinpoint to where the node is facing, and the last one the node's size.

You see the 3 numbers related to the vector are exactly the same (0.0, 1.0, 0.0 for top; 0.0, -1.0, 0.0 for bottom). So we don't need to even try to plot them mentally: if these numbers are the same, the behaviour needs to be the same too.

I wondering is this may not be something related to this other problem I just remembered...

Did you used ReRoot on the subassembly where the problem started to happen?

Edited by Lisias
Better phrasing.

I gave a try on this, rerooting a craft with parts with and without VARIANTs as root. Changed the variants, rerooted it in different ways, but didn't reproduced the thing.

However, I didn't did it on a environment similar to yours. I will try again after doing it - but it will take some time.

In the mean time, if it happens again, try what follows:

• Save the craft, and load it again and see if the problem goes away;
  • Exit to the MainMenu, then load the savegame back, ditto.

Restarting the game is surely a way to solve the problem, otherwise you would still be suffering the problem.

If merely saving the craft and loading back solves the problem, we would had zeroed into a problem on the ReRoot code what it's failing to do its job properly - I already have envidences of the ReRoot being screwed, but you probably found a new way to trigger the problem.

If not, it's probably a unholy interaction between 2 or more add'ons that, by unhappy coincidence, ended up with a similar Modus Operandi. Or it may be something really screwed on the Craft file itself (i.e., the ReRoot had really damaged the craft on memory) - but since the problem gone away, I don't thing this second hypothesis has teeth.

Let's see what else we can find about this ordeal.