[1.12.5] JNSQ Volumetrics | v1.5

rbeap

Question because I can't get home yet to test this - does support of latest scatterer make the atmosphere look like stock + latest scatterer now? Honestly that was my biggest gripe. It was really hard to play stock and then go back to JNSQ.

And yeah, KSRSS defaults to a really unnecessary (IMHO) upscaling setting of 4x, whereas I think Blackrack uses 9x by default in the stock configs.

That being said, the KSRSS clouds at 9x on my 4070 super/7800x3d rig do perform a slightly worse than Blackrack's config for the stock system. They may look a bit nicer, however.

This duplicate cloud issue seems to happen a lot. OneSaltyPringle made the same error on his OPM config and has not been back to correct it. Although, somebody did make a fork.

Edited by shifty803
Adding question

@shifty803 Hey! The new atmosphere is not exactly 1:1 with the stock version, but it's similar. I found more duplicate cloud issues; however, I managed to fix them in version 1.3, which should be out in about 30 minutes! I also changed the stock upscaling in v1.3, as I too feel like x4 is a bit unnecessary.

1 hour ago, rbeap said:

@shifty803 Hey! The new atmosphere is not exactly 1:1 with the stock version, but it's similar. I found more duplicate cloud issues; however, I managed to fix them in version 1.3, which should be out in about 30 minutes! I also changed the stock upscaling in v1.3, as I too feel like x4 is a bit unnecessary.

Nice, sounds like a good update.

I went through Salty's configs myself and compared to some of Blackrack's stuff, there were some other issues that I first learned about via reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/s/FFN1Wf4xWM

You probably already are aware of these settings, but good to note when making your gas giant configs and whatnot.

On 6/27/2024 at 7:00 PM, rbeap said:

@WolfieKSP Hey! Thanks for your feedback. JNSQ 10x is not supported yet. 

Hi, one more question, My pc is not very good so I don't expect awesome FPS, but in the stock system the game runs quite smoothly for my standars (above 24 fps), but with JNSQ 10x whenever I look at clouds the FPS drops to 4/5 or something like that. Do you think this is a result of the volumetrics pack not being compatible with the planet pack? In other words, do you think the FPS should be bearable once you make the 10x version, IF you are planning to make a 10x rescale version

Edited by WolfieKSP

@WolfieKSP Hey! I will make an x10 version, but not yet. I want to polish it more on the normal scale, then convert it to x10. Your performance is worse on x10, as there are way more clouds in your FOV than on the stock scale. Could you check your performance with the low performance config from the extras folder on the new version (1.3.1)?
Also, I haven't been testing anything with deferred lighting, as I prefer using Parallax, so that might be the problem! @evileye.x 

Mod is looking better and better! At an altitude below 20km things look amazing, and I would agree that above that your perspective does bely an obvious and close (distance wise) repetitive pattern in the clouds.  Performance is good for me compared to stock. I'm running with the linked parallax.  I've got an RTX 4070Ti with all graphics settings maxed and 0.02(s) physics tick at 4k.  Lowest framerate I've seen is 15fps with a 100 part rocket at launch. 

1 hour ago, rbeap said:

@Ariel Kerman It does lower the visuals quite a bit, but do note that the 4070Ti person was playing at 4k.

Ahh that's true, i was playing at 1080p lol
About the repetitive tiling issue, i dont know if youre aboarding this, but when i was trying this problem with my configs, Blackrack give me some advices about that. Basically the key is to use the correct scale frequency in the noise used for the Detail Texture. Also use a higher resolution cloud map is helpful too. Im sharing that just in case you dont know or want to experiment this out. Of course is up to you... looking forward to this! :prograde:

Edited by Ariel Kerman

Has anyone tried with deferred rendering? I seem to get a bug that I cannot replicate in my KSRSS or Stock saves, also with deferred rendering.

Basically, the sunflare sort of penetrates through kerbin to the dark side of the planet. I have been trying some debugging but no luck so far. Only removing the zzz_Deferred folder resolves the issue currently.

PUIVAHE.png

Edited by shifty803

I have noticed another strange artifact that is not related to deferred rending. There seems to be a sharp division in the clouds right above KSC.

This is more or less visible depending upon what the clouds above KSC look like at the time. Try time warping to get different views and check.

vT8M3hh.png

Edited by shifty803
Added picture this time

28 minutes ago, rbeap said:

its a seam in the textures but idk why it appears here 
the current config is basically just stockvolumetric clouds tweaked a bit so idk 

it doesnt appear in stock

ill talk to blackrack about the sunflare issue i noticed it as well

Yeah, I figured it's the edge of some texture, but I cannot figure out why it happens here and not in KSRSS for example. Was working on debugging that as well but no luck. It would help if I knew what I was doing!

Your 1.4 config uses the original StockVolumetricClouds config for Kerbin, and I think it looks better in JNSQ if you increase the height of the clouds. Something about the scale of the planet relative to the cloud height...

For example, I increased the height of all cumulus clouds by 200 to 300, and then moved the altitude of the second layer to compensate. Maybe give the attached file a try on your end and see what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nrrlk7lsutsd47t6n2nrv/clouds.cfg?rlkey=7udkv36qft3gozoefuqrpbhqq&st=oljiakh4&dl=0

Edited by shifty803
a word