Who’s excited for KSP 3?

On 7/4/2024 at 10:40 AM, Observe said:

Define KSP3 and I'll tell you if I'm excited about the idea of it. If the vision for a hypothetical KSP3 is anything like KSP2, then no. I want a real solar system (RSS) and no cartoony Kerbals. Give me a proper space (and aircraft) simulator game and I'd jump on it.  In other words, it couldn't be called KSP anything. It would have to be a whole new game altogether.  

Then you don't want Kerbal Space Program, but Generic Flight Simulator

7 hours ago, Skorj said:

Yeah, KSP is and should be a gentle introduction to orbital mechanics.  Not taking itself too seriously, not an engineering sim, but not just a joke either.  The humor in the first was more subtle, often found in part descriptions, not "in your face".

Patched conics is IMO fundamental to the brand.  You can have stable orbits around planets with moons without station keeping.  Orbits can be "on rails."  It's a simpler approach, that is still plenty complex for most players.  And of course it was a good enough approximation for the Apollo missions.  Giving up two unstable Lagrange point is a fine trade (especially as there's no station keeping, so you couldn't keep a satellite there for long anyhow).

That being said, I think RSS / RO / Real Scale would be a great DLC, for players who have mastered the base game and want a harder challenge.  Much like life support: KSP1 is too hard already for most players, but that added challenge is fine for an optional extra.

RSS/RO becomes to sweaty  in my personal opinion, don't get me wrong it's a challenge and all that good stuff but I think, like around JNSQ is the truly ideal scale for KSP. I'm currently doing a hard career game with stock or stock alike parts at 3.5x scale but it still keeps all of the Kerbal 'charm'.

On 7/11/2024 at 11:59 PM, caipi said:

I think it'll be a race between Portal 3 and KSP3. Let's see which game will be first. =)

If Take Two sells KSP rights to Valve, it will be the funniest thing ever.

We won't know the prospects for a KSP3 until we hear how the plan to sell PD went.  If T2 somehow found a buyer, that might not be announced for months.  But in the likely event of no announcement by the end of Q3, we can conclude the Kerbal IP is dead due to T2 putting too high a price on it.

However, I have not just hope but expectation that we'll get a future rocket-sim game with colorful emotive characters, just not green space frogs.  While KSP2 was in development, it would have been silly to make another game with the same tone.  But now the field has cleared, and so there's room for a new "have fun learning astrophysics" game with mechanics that balance realism with an appealing learning curve (and some normal game progression, rather than just a sandbox with missions)..