[1.12.x] [Planet Pack] Outer Planets Expansion (OPX)

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, QuadrilateralsAreCool said:

I hope you left some for us to discover ourselves! I'll have to check it out in full (career mode) soon. Yeah, I misinterpreted a bit, and adding asteroids isn't much for detail, but can come in useful sometimes.

I'm fairly sure OPM proper comes with customasteroids configs, although I may modify those in some way. OPX will come with asteroid celestial bodies, so you may enjoy those. I think I'll stick the list of added objects for each under a spoiler for that reason.

Edited by The Minmus Derp

As for Urlum+, things are gonna get a little funky. It'll come with a brand new ring system, with all that that entails. It has been a challenge dealing with the fact that the existing OPM Urlum moons somehow avoid being analogs for any actual Uranian objects, though.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, QuadrilateralsAreCool said:

If the only way for Jool Revamp to be compatible with your mod is to delete and edit the configs, could you put the instructions in the main post?

I've actually figured out how to include a patch in the code of the mod itself, necessitating no intervention whatsoever from you aside from a little switch in a settings file if you change which texture you want on your Jool. 

Posted (edited)

v0.4.1 of JoolPlus has been released. Same download link, added a user-editable settings file. On the request of @QuadrilateralsAreCool, PROPER compatibility, no file digging required, has been added for JoolRetexture. How this is handled is also included in the settings file. If you like, you can now make Bop into another outer moon like Pol. Slimmed down the file size by removing some unnecessary stuff, as well. 

On 7/10/2024 at 7:29 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

v0.4.1 of JoolPlus has been released. Same download link, added a user-editable settings file. On the request of @QuadrilateralsAreCool, PROPER compatibility, no file digging required, has been added for JoolRetexture. How this is handled is also included in the settings file. If you like, you can now make Bop into another outer moon like Pol. Slimmed down the file size by removing some unnecessary stuff, as well. 

Looks amazing! I wish you the best of luck with the rest of the pack.

OPX Progress report below. If you really want to go in blind, don't read.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2024-07-20_at_8.13.47_PM.png?

OPX update! Hypo has been redone from the ground up, now with a VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2 based height map instead of the stupid ass cube gimmick I came up with when I was ten. The craters are indeed intentionally that deep, seeing as there are really weird pits on the actual Hyperion I figured I'd attempt to emulate them.

Screenshot_2024-07-15_at_4.51.49_PM.png?

Garrath, the first element of OPX-DwarfPlanetsPlus, is also in place. I will refrain from showing exactly what it looks like, but it is serving as an analog for a few dwarf planets unrepresented by MPE. Neidon also has a white thing sitting in a quasisatellite orbit in the form of Omtaht, which is old thatmo. It only exists if you want it to in the settings file.

Screenshot_2024-07-13_at_8.30.22_PM.png?

OPX-SSM's Kerbol realism patch also functions. There's a bit of color weirdness but if youre close enough to see it you have bigger problems. Theres a better texture now. It looks very nice I think.

Screenshot_2024-07-13_at_6.09.14_PM.png?

@Interplanet Janet has also created UrlumPlus' Chiron analog, Pab, and its moon. I'm in love with this little guy.

Screenshot_2024-07-10_at_4.58.41_PM.png?

Lyxis, the outermost moon of Urlum, also functions perfectly with full texture and heightmap and biomes.

Total to-do list:

• NeidonPlus: Gryspar. thats it. we're awesome.
  • UrlumPlus: Dathil needs a good color map, and I need to make the three ring moons.
  • SarnusPlus: New Hypo biome map, Phabus needs a redo because right now its placeholder textures to see if the PQS repurposed bovine waste works, and I need to buckle down and make Redda
  • JoolPlus: Laythe and Jool EVE clouds if/when I figure out how to do that, Should I replace the alternate Bop position in the settings with a Trojan orbit with Jool?
  • SSM: I'm thinking about giving Moho lava lakes with a settings switch, and if I can add any asteroids to fill out groups left behind by MPE and JMP (Hildas and the like, possibly Vulcanoids), a thing that shuts off the kerbol patch if betterkerbol is installed,
  • DwarfPlanetsPlus: literally everything that isn't Garrath

I play with that, and it works! AVP ruins the texture, though, and I have not tested with Spectra.

EDIT: stripped some configs and textures that delete those stupid stripes on Jool. Can't look at it now, going to sleep.

Edited by theogameren

1 hour ago, Iapetus7342 said:

Does this work with other visual mods? (i.e eve, avp, scatterer)

At present I do not supply configs for EVE and scatterer, but I do have plans. Unfortunately IIRC it is not possible to force KSP to not load the configs provided by another mod, so I am a little stuck.

I have a question for everyone with interest in this mod. What is the inner system missing? As it stands, for OPX-Stock System Modifications I'm lowering Eve's inclination so reaching it is less annoying, providing settings to move Minmus and the Mun, and possibly adding small lakes of lava to Moho just for fun. :) More tentatively, I'm also considering adding some asteroidal bodies to fill out the groups that lack representatives in MPE and JMP, like the Hildas. What is this plan missing?

6 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

I have a question for everyone with interest in this mod. What is the inner system missing? As it stands, for OPX-Stock System Modifications I'm lowering Eve's inclination so reaching it is less annoying, providing settings to move Minmus and the Mun, and possibly adding small lakes of lava to Moho just for fun. :) More tentatively, I'm also considering adding some asteroidal bodies to fill out the groups that lack representatives in MPE and JMP, like the Hildas. What is this plan missing?

if you want planets farther in than moho, quackpack's gotcha covered

can't think of anything except giving eve a quasi-satellite 

Vulcan analog, instead of messing with Moho. Perhaps a smaller (not asteroid sized) moon for Duna?

Edited by Mr. Kerbin
added stuff

10 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

I would like an Apophis analog, And making Dres better (to be honest, Dres sucks.) You can just use my simple config on my dres removal mod, if you want it GONE.

As of now, OPM is not a dependency, But later, when all the other Add-ons get released, depending on whatever  Add-ons you have, OPM will be a dependency. It replaces the planets, though, and calls them for example BetterJool instead of Jool.

2 hours ago, theogameren said:

As of now, OPM is not a dependency, But later, when all the other Add-ons get released, depending on whatever  Add-ons you have, OPM will be a dependency. It replaces the planets, though, and calls them for example BetterJool instead of Jool.

The only reason Jool is replaced is because its stock texture is hardcoded into the planet, so to change the texture as I did it is necessary. The other three are not. I am however pondering a method to make Urlum and Neidon in particular decoupled from OPM, but my last attempt failed utterly so that will be for a far future update.

10 hours ago, theogameren said:

I would like an Apophis analog, And making Dres better (to be honest, Dres sucks.) You can just use my simple config on my dres removal mod, if you want it GONE.

Apophis analog could be good, but the main point of interest is the fact that it passes very close to Kerbin. This is not possible in KSP, as having overlapping SOIs breaks the game hard, so since the singular interesting fact about Apophis is not possible to emulate in KSP then I don't know what would make it anything that isn't filled already by, say, Doppler from JMP. As for dres, I like dres. If you want a better one though, I'd recommend Techo's stock planet revamp.

19 hours ago, Mr. Kerbin said:

Vulcan analog, instead of messing with Moho. Perhaps a smaller (not asteroid sized) moon for Duna?

Vulcan analog could be good, although I'd have to duck around the quackpack orbits to maintain compatibility. As for your Duna suggestion, you can't get much smaller than Ike and not be an asteroid. It isn't that much larger than Minmus, after all.

20 hours ago, Iapetus7342 said:

can't think of anything except giving eve a quasi-satellite 

That's a good idea, I think I'll do that. Shouldn't be too difficult.

2 hours ago, theogameren said:

29 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

The only reason Jool is replaced is because its stock texture is hardcoded into the planet, so to change the texture as I did it is necessary. The other three are not. I am however pondering a method to make Urlum and Neidon in particular decoupled from OPM, but my last attempt failed utterly so that will be for a far future update.

Allright thx for the answers! I'll keep following this with interest because I really like the idea. I never play without OPM so a revamp sounds great.

I'll be holding off for now though since eve and scatterer (and parallax) configs are not yet in scope, but all in good time I suppose. Keep up the good work!

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, modus said:

Allright thx for the answers! I'll keep following this with interest because I really like the idea. I never play without OPM so a revamp sounds great.

I'll be holding off for now though since eve and scatterer (and parallax) configs are not yet in scope, but all in good time I suppose. Keep up the good work!

EVE is next on the list for JoolPlus when I circle back to it, and scatterer for that is already taken care of by the configs that base scatterer comes with. Parallax... I have no clue how to implement, and the weird texture formats are going to be a huge hassle. There won't likely be much progress in the coming week or so, because there's a physics class I have to finish, though.

Beyond JoolPlus, none of them are adding any new bodies with atmospheres anytime soon, so you should be able to get by on OPM-VO.