Idea for a car/vehicle mod "Stock Alike Vehicles Mod"?

So I recently came across a few mods that add vehicles to your game: KSO, Grounded Modular Vehicles, and Omega's Stockalike Utility Vehicles. I should also mention Cold War Aerospace, which gives you a few vehicles too.

I was thinking that in the future (probably me, but someone else can take the idea if they want since I, well, don't have any experience making mods so I have a long way to go if I wanted to do this) if a mod that adds vehicles should follow.

First, what size? I noticed that OSUV gives you the G1 and G2 parts in the same size as the utility vehicles across the KSC, but KSO and Grounded give you a smaller size, which is more "accordingly" to the size of a Kerbal.

Wg56LKe.jpeg

Spoiler

(I'm not counting Cold War aerospace since, well the vehicles are waay too big.

b01IA65.jpg

Spoiler

Note: in personal I prefer the KSO size since well, for me, as I said earlier, goes more accordlt with the size of a Kerbal. 

9FYas94.jpeg

Second, and the main reason I'm making this post, what art style should it follow? I came across the mod Kerbin Side Core, which gives you multiple statics, including one in particular, "Parked Vehicles," that offers a strip of parked vehicles with the same "art style" or "architecture" as the G1 and G2 trucks. 

00lo2Yl.jpg

So I was thinking about what could be better: following the "stock" art style of the lorries, or something more like the KSO, which, for me, gives a more "varied" look for other vehicles. And well, I also want to ask, what do the players like more, or what would they like to see?

Edited by AciveriousTippoline

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KSO sedan and rover are undersized even for the Kerbal scale. Kerbals can't actually fit inside without clipping through the vehicle and through each other with their feet, hands and heads sticking out with the interior overlay engaged

5765Bme.png

Spoiler

10sUxYS.png

With it's undersized lower body and tiny wheels the KSO sedan is cartoonish and clumsy, unable to climb the ramp of an aircraft or drive into the parking lot. The KSO bus and lorry are okay though (still have some problem with ramps).

CWA vehicles are real scale and they are big in real life, I had hard times climbing into a suspension-lifted UAZ with 34 inch tires, it's a real beast with an average sedan's roof barely reaching it's hood, and it is the smallest vehicle in the entire CWA collection. That's a bit too much for 1 meter tall creatures so they need a ladder.

Mini Moke versatile offers a nice collection of Kerbal scale vehicles that do get the Kerbal scale correctly: they are neither cartoonish or clumsy and don't feel oversized. So you can use this mod as a size reference instead of KSO.

No matter which style and size you choose, just don't forget to check if the crew does actually fit inside

I am currently buildng a utility vehicles mod, still a number of things to build though. I build real world scale externally but make sure the internal works for the Kerbals size. Never tried KSO but I dug up Cold War to compare to. I also make sure there are ladder colliders so the Kerbals can get in.

bFzdohF.pngM2EynZr.pngTBuu3Ax.pngUX1zaDa.png

Edited by ColdJ

17 hours ago, Manul said:

KSO sedan and rover are undersized even for the Kerbal scale. Kerbals can't actually fit inside without clipping through the vehicle and through each other with their feet, hands and heads sticking out with the interior overlay engaged

5765Bme.png

Hide contents

10sUxYS.png

With it's undersized lower body and tiny wheels the KSO sedan is cartoonish and clumsy, unable to climb the ramp of an aircraft or drive into the parking lot. The KSO bus and lorry are okay though (still have some problem with ramps).

CWA vehicles are real scale and they are big in real life, I had hard times climbing into a suspension-lifted UAZ with 34 inch tires, it's a real beast with an average sedan's roof barely reaching it's hood, and it is the smallest vehicle in the entire CWA collection. That's a bit too much for 1 meter tall creatures so they need a ladder.

Mini Moke versatile offers a nice collection of Kerbal scale vehicles that do get the Kerbal scale correctly: they are neither cartoonish or clumsy and don't feel oversized. So you can use this mod as a size reference instead of KSO.

No matter which style and size you choose, just don't forget to check if the crew does actually fit inside

I know, and yes it also bothers me the Kerbals not fitting inside and specially the wheels, God, they are awful. But i go more into like (Scaling correctly with the rocket parts) (I mean of course the CWA vehicles can be big, but I don't think like bigger or almost big as the Mk1-3 Command pod. 

12 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I am currently buildng a utility vehicles mod, still a number of things to build though. I build real world scale externally but make sure the internal works for the Kerbals size. Never tried KSO but I dug up Cold War to compare to. I also make sure their are ladder colliders so the Kerbals can get in.

bFzdohF.pngM2EynZr.pngTBuu3Ax.pngUX1zaDa.png

Cool :0. Will you make someday things like sedans or buses? 

3 hours ago, AciveriousTippoline said:

Cool :0. Will you make someday things like sedans or buses? 

I will definitely see about making a bus. I will look at a sedan, something classic I think, probably 2 door as people movers are covered, so sporty.

12 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I will definitely see about making a bus. I will look at a sedan, something classic I think, probably 2 door as people movers are covered, so sporty.

Cool, the original idea of the post was to in the future (If I'm able to do) create like vehicle "era" packs. (focus in sedans, sports cars and vehicles used by NASA and other space agencies)  
Like one for the 50's-60's to early 70's, other for the late 70's to early 90's  and so. Because well, I would like to have "proper" era vehicles for the game, that's why I come with all of the scaling and bla bla bla. 

• 2 weeks later...