The Linux compatibility thread!

Hi,

I have an issue, which I described here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/36895-openSUSE-12-3-primusrun-Program-received-signal-SIGPWR. Here's a copy:

This is very weird. After upgrading openSUSE from 12.2 to 12.3 (both x86_64) KSP crashes on startup. In 12.2 it worked without any problems. In 12.3 running with optirun works, but has less FPS than it had on primusrun.

I'm running it with "primusrun env LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64"

Output from gdb:

Program received signal SIGPWR, Power fail/restart.
[Switching to Thread 0x7ffff0350700 (LWP 30689)]
0x00007ffff6d9f970 in sem_wait () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0 0x00007ffff6d9f970 in sem_wait () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
#1 0x00007ffff0bf53f7 in mono_sem_wait () from /home/etam/games/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so
#2 0x00007ffff0b5bd3b in ?? () from /home/etam/games/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so
#3 0x00007ffff0bc622a in ?? () from /home/etam/games/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so
#4 0x00007ffff0bed12c in ?? () from /home/etam/games/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so
#5 0x00007ffff0c0e125 in ?? () from /home/etam/games/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so
#6 0x00007ffff6d99e0f in start_thread () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
#7 0x00007ffff63b17dd in clone () from /lib64/libc.so.6

Player.log: http://susepaste.org/12271182

Because thread was closed, I continue it here:

I've found that this crash happens only when SCREEN_RESOLUTION_WIDTH, SCREEN_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT and UI_SIZE in settings.cfg (fullscreen is on) does not match actual screen size. I use laptop and use it's screen or attached external ones, so my screen resolution changes. Right now I keep separate copies of settings.cfg for each resolution. If I need to create new one, I delete settings.cfg, launch the game without primusrun and adjust settings. Then I can launch KSP with primusrun.

Sorry about lack of logs, that was rubbish of me. I should know better than that.

Anyway - Player.log - http://pastebin.com/s4AZNXKu

Can't find a ksp.log, I've done a find for ksp.log and KSP.log in the KSP_Linux directory with no joy.

So I had trouble triggering the problem again. I deleted settings.cfg and all seemed well for a while. I did a little one-stage suborbital flight and exited the program. Then I changed resolution to 1280*720, and all was again well, did a little launch, fine. Restarted, and made a bigger rocket.

Then this happened: http://imgur.com/a/9GPOF

First image you can just see the top of the screen starting to go. Bottom image is what you see if you look down. This is the last session I loaded the game. My machine is incredibly sluggish after this has happened, even after I've quit the game, I have to log out and back in again before I can do things like scroll webpages smoothly and so on.

This is on my laptop, which is Ubuntu Gnome 13.04. Will try on the desktop later. Double checked, turned out it's an NVidia GF210 with 1GB of ram in the desktop, I don't even remember upgrading that! Both machines are using the manufacturer binary drivers, both are up to date.

I haven't had a chance to try what triffid_hunter suggested, but will do that and report back.

etam, try -popupwindow maybe?

johnnytruant, Unity games aren't great with the open drivers, I see you are using Mesa but I bet if you tried the proprietary driver you'd have no problems, oh your gallery didn't load for me by the way, Imgur seems to be slow tonight.

johnnytruant, Unity games aren't great with the open drivers, I see you are using Mesa but I bet if you tried the proprietary driver you'd have no problems, oh your gallery didn't load for me by the way, Imgur seems to be slow tonight.

Hmm. I was under the impression I was using the proprietary driver. The Intel linux graphics driver update tool thinks I am. My desktop machine is definitely using the NVidia drivers. I shall do more checking.

Also, I thought Mesa was the OpenGL library, not a driver? It's been a long time since I've done much non-console gaming so I could be wrong about that.

I tried a few other games, Angry Bots and Unitroids, and they worked fine - but I'm not sure what kind of load they (or KSP) was putting on the GPU.. Angry Bots certainly had more fancy shaders going on, but perhaps was throwing around fewer polys.

I'm sure lots of games will be fine, and I didn't see Intel (tired), but it should be okay, I'll check your gallery later.

My system would also say Mesa as the renderer if I were using the open drivers, or Gallium depending on the card, but I'm using Nvidia's own so it says Nvidia for me, I'm no expert on Intel Linux drivers but are there any newer ones you can try?

I'm no expert on Intel Linux drivers but are there any newer ones you can try?

Turns out there are newer drivers. Intel are really kicking them out at the moment (they're working closely with Valve on improving linux gaming performance at the moment, some say for the arrival of a SteamMachine later this year...)

I only updated two days ago. :)

Will install them and see how it goes.

What nvidia driver version is best for ksp, 319.23?

Probably yes, though I'm still on 310.44 as I forgot to re-enable the xswat repo after upgrading to 13.04, I'll have to try a later version myself.

My laptop, Lenovo G580 shows that under Linux Mint 14, it's using the Mesa DRI Ivybridge OpenGL Renderer, but I read somewhere that this laptop uses an Nvidia chipset, listed as N13P-GL...can I use linux Nvidia drivers with this?

Hey, i'm playing KSP on Arch Linux 64bit for a couple of days now. After Jebediah Kermans tragic death while testing the atmospheric beta version of my new moon lander, I decided it would be inevitable to take action and find a more efficient way to control the RCS boosters. When I finally attached my old and dusty Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Joystick, I was somewhat disappointed to realise KSP would not recognise its axes D:

Luckily I accidentally touched the thrust lever, when trying to assign one of the other axes and that one got recognised! When inspecting the settings.cfg after that, I found something like that:

AXIS_THROTTLE
{
name = Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2 Joystick 3
id = joy0.3
inv = True
sensitivity = 1
deadzone = 0
scale = 1
group = 0
switchState = Any
}

I guessed "joy0.3" would be some kind of device/axis identifier, so I tried and wrote slightly modified versions of this entry to the other axis definition sections in settings.cfg and it worked just fine:

AXIS_PITCH
{
id = joy0.1
inv = False
sensitivity = 1
deadzone = 0
scale = 1
group = 0
switchState = Any
}
AXIS_ROLL
{
id = joy0.2
inv = True
sensitivity = 1
deadzone = 0
scale = 1
group = 0
switchState = Any
}
AXIS_YAW
{
id = joy0.0
inv = False
sensitivity = 1
deadzone = 0
scale = 1
group = 0
switchState = Any
}

So just in the case it was unknown until now: There seems to be a bug in the axis detection code in KSP settings, but - at least for some devices/setups/whatever - you can get your joystick working through manual settings.cfg modifications.

This is quite handy syslock, thanks, and it'll help us with sticks until Unity pull their finger out and fix their controller code :)

This is actually handy for the other OS's too...

Here's a reminder for anyone using a dual-boot.

You must have KSP on a Linux-based partition; other file-systems can't handle Linux file attributes and so KSP will lack the executable tag.

Thank you...I couldn't figure out why KSP wouldn't run on my Linux partition....that's the ticket. Thanks!

Sigh. Trust me. I can get the Windows version (0.20.2) to run fine on Windows. I can't get the Linux version to run (currently 0.20.0), period, even by using LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86, basically it drops out once it gets to a certain stage in the loading process. I'll include my Player.log once I get Linux rebooted, I didn't see a KSP.log anywhere when I tried executing. I'll also give 0.20.2 a try once I download it.

Anyhow here's a 0.20.0 player.log from Ubuntu 12.10 Linux: http://pastebin.com/X5xGgvLB

I'm scratching my head about this one...

(Post 3)

Well, I should be using the proprietary fglrx driver. I'm not using radeon, I'm definitely using fglrx. Anyhow, further to my post of last time, here's a run from a brand-new 0.20.2, freshly installed and with .config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program renamed so that that directory gets recreated.

Console output:

----

fatty$ cd /Fedora/home/viking/bin/KSP_linux/

# ^^^ that directory is stored on another drive, I'm running this under Ubuntu 12.10

fatty$ LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86

Set current directory to /Fedora/home/viking/bin/KSP_linux

Found path: /Fedora/home/viking/bin/KSP_linux/KSP.x86

Mono path[0] = '/Fedora/home/viking/bin/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Managed'

Mono path[1] = '/Fedora/home/viking/bin/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono'

Mono config path = '/Fedora/home/viking/bin/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono/etc'

Aborted (core dumped)

fatty$

---- End of Console output ----

KSP.log (311 bytes):

----

Kerbal Space Program - 0.20.2.0 (LinuxPlayer)

CPU: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50 GHz (2)

RAM: 4027

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series (187MB) <=== (and the card's supposed to have 256Mb on)

SM: 30 (OpenGL 3.3 [3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context])

Log started: Fri, Jul 12, 2013 20:15:39

---- End of KSP.log ----

First run of: >> LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86 << yields this Player.log

in /home/viking/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

http://pastebin.com/z8VYv2wB

Second run of >>LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 ./KSP.x86 << yields this Player.log:

http://pastebin.com/ud0p8EpG

I seem to get a window opening, but nothing visible in that window, then I get (in the console) Aborted. No doubt the second run of player.log shows something more important than the first, which doesn't seem to be very useful.

I also can't find a coredump file anywhere. I may have to rerun this once I figure out how to actually save them.

(Post 6)

Second run of >>LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 ./KSP.x86 << yields this Player.log:

http://pastebin.com/ud0p8EpG

"System.Net.WebException: Error: ConnectFailure (Connection refused) ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Connection refused" seems relevant.. what is it trying to connect to, and howcome the game bombs when it fails? Could possibly be another vestige of the recent change to loading png images via webrequest?

may want to point strace at it (LC_ALL=C strace -s 1024 -f -o ksp.strace ./KSP.x86 or similar) and just give us the last 50-100 lines (the whole log may be up to a couple of GB long)

I might be wrong, but I think the threaded optimizations are only for nVidia's proprietary driver.

So, I'm having an issue, and I'm a new linux user, so if you could bear with me that'd be great. '>_>

So, I have ubuntu 13.04 installed, and I know that you can use the version of steam for ubuntu to play this, but I've found that version of the game to actually run more sluggish than running steam through wine, and playing from there.

But I have a problem. There's not text in most of the menu boxes, which I see is addressed in the OP, and I've installed the fonts to a .font folder in my user directory, but that didn't solve the problem at all. I've also installed the microsoft core fonts through the terminal, but still the same issue. I hope this isn't the wrong place to post this '>_>. If anyone could help me out, that'd be great. Thanks!

Tried .fonts as well, and rebooted after both attempts, text still doesn't show up. Does it make a difference that I installed steam from PlayOnLinux? Or should I still just have to put them in the home folder?

A friend of mine just mentioned something about turning off dwrite. Is that something I should have to do or does that matter?

So, I have ubuntu 13.04 installed, and I know that you can use the version of steam for ubuntu to play this, but I've found that version of the game to actually run more sluggish than running steam through wine, and playing from there.

Ive delved into that subject for months now, and all ive come up with is this:

-DO NOT run KSP along with a composting window manager. Unity probably has one. They are implemented differently than windows gdm and its software counterpart, and they WILL slow your game down. Use Openbox/LXDE/XFDE/MATE and/or disable it.

-USE nvidia's threaded optimizations, which only work for the propietary driver (forget Nouveau, it's not meant for gaming) - this will give you a nice boost to fps.

-Some distros handle CPU power states in a weird manner, prefering power-saving states over performance modes. Check that your CPU is running at full power when running the game.

-Disable the driver's vsync ("sync to vblank") and cap your fps from settings.cfg instead.

-Some mods are coded with only Windows in mind, not Linux. A mod that doesnt appear to hurt fps on Windows may do so on Linux. Check with and without them - I've had problems with mods using large amounts of png files, for example.

-Linux's issues with KSP apparently stem from CPU-intensive workloads. Try reducing terrain detail if FPS are not yet high enough.

Finally, purely graphics options shouldnt make for a noticeable slowdown. Crank them up and enjoy the view ;)

Does it make a difference that I installed steam from PlayOnLinux?

running via wine? install eufonts with winetricks and try again. Native linux version falls back to what looks like smallfonts if it can't find the specific one it's after, whereas wine simply won't draw any text at all- reasons unknown.