The Linux compatibility thread!

Are you binding the axis to the buttons by mistake? Look at the right hand side of the settings screen for the axis bindings.

If it's not that then make sure only one controller is plugged in.

If both of these fail then please post your KSP.log file to pastebin.com

Are you binding the axis to the buttons by mistake? Look at the right hand side of the settings screen for the axis bindings.

If it's not that then make sure only one controller is plugged in.

If both of these fail then please post your KSP.log file to pastebin.com

nope, even worse, I thought you had to manually edit the settings file. I never even realized that the setup stuff on the right was for the joy stick!!!!

****... It just started with me now. wtf? nothing changed, in fact I was in the middle of playing when it started.

Is this with 0.21 or 0.21.1? I just got around to getting 0.21.1 tonight and it seems to be fine. Weird!

Maybe it's distro specific this time, I'm on Xubuntu 13.04, does anyone else have this mouse wheel bug?

Nope, I believe it was MechJeb for me. I had just installed it about an hour previous, then I started with this issue.

Then I uninstalled it late yesterday, so far (with a few hours of play), it has not reappeared.

TBH, I think MechJeb is toast. The 2.0 version has been in beta for ages, and does not appear to be moving forward.

I will miss the advanced SAS modes, but I can live without it.

It seems the Linux Mousewheel bug is back. Or it's probably more accurate to say they forgot to add the fix from last time to this version.
[FLUFFY BUNNIES]... It just started with me now. wtf? nothing changed, in fact I was in the middle of playing when it started.

What distro's are you using guys?

Oh, shame, I guess we have to wait on r4m0n to fix it then.

A fix is now availible:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/42601-Star-map-stuttering-on-rotation?p=552620&viewfull=1#post552620

While mechjeb triggers the bug, it appears to be a KSP problem. In other words, modders can work around the problem but only squad can fix it.

Hi, I'm running Arch on a dual core 1.6GHz 2GB RAM system. The demo did work (obviously with the graphics set way down) well enough for me to decide to buy the full game. However the full game unfortunately does not get past the loading screen for me. I am trying to play version 0.21.1.

After running LC_ALL=C ./KSP_x86 the loading screen comes up and the progress bar fills completely after which the window closes and the process is apparently killed. The terminal output is as follows:

$ LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86
Set current directory to /home/johan/bin/KSP_linux
Found path: /home/johan/bin/KSP_linux/KSP.x86
Mono path[0] = '/home/johan/bin/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/johan/bin/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/johan/bin/KSP_linux/KSP_Data/Mono/etc'
Killed

KSP.log

Player.log

Also, the game does work on windows 7 on the same laptop. Any help would be appreciated!

johanhartman, KSP is really finicky regarding graphics cards and drivers on Linux, it ca work with the open source drivers but usually you need to update them, or give up and use proprietary drivers if available.

I'm assuming you have an Intel graphics card and your logs show it does support shader 3.0, which is good, but it's using the Mesa driver, and performance or even the ability to run KSP at all can be a problem.

ARB shader compile error: line 3, char 8: error: invalid ARB fragment program option

for !!ARBfp1.0

OPTION ARB_precision_hint_fastest;

OPTION ARB_precision_hint_fastest;

# 2 ALU, 1 TEX

PARAM c[1] = { { 0, 1 } };

TEMP R0;

TEX R0, fragment.texcoord[0], texture[0], 2D;

MUL result.color, R0, c[0].xxxy;

END

# 2 instructions, 1 R-regs

Unsupported: Hidden/AddAlphaHack

Total system RAM: 2011 MiB

Event Type Ignored: MapNotify

Event Type Ignored: VisibilityNotify

Event Type Ignored: FocusIn

Event Type Ignored: VisibilityNotify

This suggests it is indeed the driver that is the problem here, can you try other versions of the driver?

I'm not sure no, it's hard to diagnose these faults, the system seems to have 2011 megs of RAM which is odd and might mean that the GPU shares system RAM, with some allocated to it.

Still, KSP should run on 2 gigs, it'd be interesting to know how much RAM the GPU is accessing.

My device driver is: xf86-video-intel 2.21.13-1 and I am using the mesa 9.1.5-1 graphics library. These are the newest versions of each. Would you say that it is possible that my mesa is too new? If so, is it worth trying KSP 0.20? I am not willing to downgrade any of my drivers, if you know of an alternative to mesa for intel then I might try that.

Still, KSP should run on 2 gigs, it'd be interesting to know how much RAM the GPU is accessing.

As I said KSP works on windows 7 on the same laptop where there is less RAM available to the game, so RAM should not be an issue. The laptop originally had 1GB RAM to which I then added another 1GB, which might explain the 2011MiB figure.

That it works on Windows 7 is not very important, we are trying to get it running for you on Linux here :)

The hardware of course is the same but the drivers are very different, I do not possess an Intel equipped laptop to test this on, but as I already said, running KSP on an Intel GPU is finicky, it may work, it may not.

One issue is that even though the card and driver should support shader 3.0, Intel do not support every single instruction and feature of the shader standard in quite the same way as Nvidia or AMD do, and Unity is very sensitive to this especially with the new shaders used for re-entry effects and shadows.

That it works on Windows 7 is not very important, we are trying to get it running for you on Linux here :)

I understand that, I only meant that if 2GB RAM is enough for KSP to work under w7 it should be enough for it to work under linux, especially as under w7 less RAM is available to KSP due to w7's hogging.

Yeah, so I don't think this is a RAM issue, an unmodded game can run in 2gigs, I'm still leaning towards a graphics issue as the main problems I have encountered with KSP for Linux are graphics related, or language.

Though there seems to be a brand new issue for me at least, if I pause KSP with Escape, 9 times out of 10 KSP will exit to the desktop when I resume unless I revert or return to the KSC first.

I get a SIGSEGV every time this happens in the player.log but nothing in the KSP.log

Anyone else getting this?

I understand that, I only meant that if 2GB RAM is enough for KSP to work under w7 it should be enough for it to work under linux, especially as under w7 less RAM is available to KSP due to w7's hogging.

KSP runs fine on my laptop with 2G ram under linux.. even lets me have a few mods :)

for reference, I'm using nvidia binary driver

KSP start flashing shadows after 2 or 3 launches. When I try to make a screenshot it just crashes.

I'm running Linux Mint 14.

This is the last part of player.log

Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 9216016B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: NewDelete

Allocation happend at: Line:395 in

Memory overview

[ ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD ] used: 32752B | peak: 0B | reserved: 65536B

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 281264425B | peak: 294786239B | reserved: 289552602B

[ ALLOC_GAMEOBJECT ] used: 11905814B | peak: 15402700B | reserved: 13610864B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 238622049B | peak: 414927225B | reserved: 239104181B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 27748B | peak: 27804B | reserved: 42613B

Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 9216016B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: NewDelete

Allocation happend at: Line:395 in

Memory overview

[ ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD ] used: 32752B | peak: 0B | reserved: 65536B

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 281264425B | peak: 294786239B | reserved: 289552602B

[ ALLOC_GAMEOBJECT ] used: 11905814B | peak: 15402700B | reserved: 13610864B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 238622049B | peak: 414927225B | reserved: 239104181B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 27748B | peak: 27804B | reserved: 42613B

(Filename: Line: 885)

KSP start flashing shadows after 2 or 3 launches. When I try to make a screenshot it just crashes.

I'm running Linux Mint 14.

This is the last part of player.log

Out of memory.