The Linux compatibility thread!

Just to make sure, have you tried a fresh install/deleted the old settings.cfg?

Yes, everything is minty fresh.

I concur that it looks like an old driver bug that has resurfaced, though this is worse.

The "binary patch" is sadly still needed for those of us with lots of mods, and needs different offsets compared to before. Here are the updated fix commands for 0.23, for everyone who keeps segfaulting at start:

echo "838077: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

echo "83807c: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64

I can verify these offsets.

I also have this problem with the loading being stuck at "Squad/Spaces/mk1PodCockpit/model".

I made a quick search on this topic and saw the message about locales, so I changed a few lines in my locale configuration file (/usr/share/i18n/locales/fr_BE) :

%mon_decimal_point         "<U002C>"
%mon_thousands_sep "<U002E>"
mon_decimal_point "<U002E>"
mon_thousands_sep "<U0020>"

in LC_MONETARY.

And in LC_NUMERIC :

%decimal_point         "<U002C>"
%thousands_sep "<U002E>"
decimal_point "<U002E>"
thousands_sep "<U0020>"

Replacing the "," ("U002C") by "." ("U002E") as decimal points and "." ("U002E") by " " ("U0020") to match the "american way". I also used the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales" and rebooted.

Here is the KSP.log with my system information :

Kerbal Space Program - 0.23.0.0 (LinuxPlayer) Steam

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4)
RAM: 7947
GPU: GeForce GTX 560/PCIe/SSE2 (1024MB)
SM: 30 (OpenGL 4.3 [4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32])

Log started: mer., déc. 18, 2013 10:32:27

[... Last line : ]
[LOG 10:32:55.337] Config(INTERNAL) Squad/Spaces/landerCabinSmallInternal/internal/landerCabinSmallInternal

I also noticed that, in the settings.cfg, every decimal number is written with a "," as "decimal point" even after the change I made to my locales (and despite forcing the game to recreate a settings.cfg by deleting the previous one). Manually replacing them by "." doesn't change anything (the game don't overwrite it, but get stuck at the same point).

Other configuration files (such as "GameData/Squad/Spaces/mk1PodCockpit/internal.cfg") correctly use "." as decimal separator.

I guess the game is using the comma as decimal separator despite the change I made and it causes a problem when it tries to read the configuration files that it hasn't generated itself. So my question would be "Where does he find its configuration for the locales ?" (and how can I change that, but I guess the answer to "where" is a file which can modified).

EDIT : Setting "LC_ALL=C %command%" in the "Set launch options..." worked. (The OP didn't mention that it fixed this problem so it didn't appear in my search result.)

Edited by LudwigVonHellsing

Hello.

After update to 0.23 the ksp 64 bits+optirun becomes very slow, in the launch pad the time stay in orange, running without optirun or on 32bits mode the performance better but stil the color flickers betwen green and orange.

whit the same graphics configuration and same rocket the 0.22 have a way better performance

i am using a I7 CPU whit a GeForce GT 630M, drive is ok everting else runs normaly in the optirun.

KSP completely freezes X after a while (sometimes a few seconds, sometimes 1-2 hours). When that happens, I can't change TTYs, and basically have to SSH in and issue a restart, since I can kill neither KDM, X nor KSP. I'm on Arch Linux, this happens on both 32 and 64 bit versions, and my graphics card is a HD 7950 and I'm using catalyst beta drivers (13.11 beta 9.4). Here's a traceback: http://pastebin.kde.org/pfgfbjp5o.

Any ideas on how I could fix this?

LudwigVonHellsing, I didn't know LC_ALL fixed that :)

Colmo, will do.

ricotero, delete your settings.cfg

willlim, this may be because of the new version of Unity :/

mueslo, not as of yet no, remember though that Unity only really supports Ubuntu (debian) so while KSP can work on other distros, there may be missing or incompatible libraries.

mueslo, not as of yet no, remember though that Unity only really supports Ubuntu (debian) so while KSP can work on other distros, there may be missing or incompatible libraries.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure there are other people successfully running KSP on Arch (at least the wiki suggests it), since I haven't found a single person with an issue similar to mine, I'm not quite sure what to think. I think this at least partially related to catalyst, though.

Fonts

I'm still working on the LCL (Linux Compatability Loader) Figured I could start releasing patches here first before the big thing is done.

InstallFontsKerbal is a bash script that should install the Arial True Type Fonts required by kerbal.

All you need to do is extract the tar.gz in your Home folder of choice and run the bash script InstallFonts.

Download Removed!

It will first try to install it to your $HOME/.fonts dir

it will then run fc-cache (http://linux.die.net/man/1/fc-cache) to build font info for your system. Then it will hunt for the files with fc-list.

If they are not found it will then ask to install with root to /usr/share/fonts and run the above fc commands.

If it all fails it should tell you why with a error code to email me.

sal_vager

Your Information for Fonts and Localisations section on the first page, first post, has a few things that need fixing.

1) "For all distro's, putting the fonts in /user/share/fonts should do the trick."

it is /usr/share/fonts

2) Also after adding any fonts to a linux system you should run fc-cache -fv this will look in the common font directory(s) and build from there.

Next up is to make a one run bash patch for the Segfaults

Edited by meeki

This is really weird.

When i run KSP from Steam using primusrun (or optirun), it runs with low fps, no anti-aliasing, and stuff like that, so i assume in runs on Intel graphics card (but ksp.log says otherwise).

But, if change the in-game render quality slider from medium to low, hit accept, and then change it back, i get high fps, anti-aliasing, and some stuff that happens only when using primusrun (tearing in one specific spot (happens in every game) and UI flickering when looking at water).

My laptop configuration is:

Intel Core i3-3120M 2,5 GHz

Nvidia GeForce GT 740M

Fedora 19 x86_64

KSP 0.23 64bit

New SEGFAULT Patch Directions[

Goto the kerbal folder that your settings.cfg is in

right click on a empty space in the folder NOT A FILE

and select open in terminal

you should now be sitting in terminal in the home DIR of KSP

type:

xxd -s +0x838077 -l 1 KSP.x86_64

you should get

0838077: 01

type:

type:

you should get

0838077: 00

type:

xxd -s +0x83807c -l 1 KSP.x86_64

youshould get

83807c: 01

type:

type:

youshould get

83807c: 00

For KSP version 0.22 or less go here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24529-The-Linux-compatibility-thread!/page41?p=806007#post806007

Segfault bash patches!

If you don't feel like typing I've made bash scripts to do the work for you.

Copy the patch to the kerbal home dir, the DIR with KSP.x86_64 in it.

Run the Bash file you download in terminal.

Patch for KSP 0.23 64bit

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12968946/kerbal/Segfault_0_23

Patch for KSP 0.22 or less 64bit

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12968946/kerbal/Segfault_0_22

Edited by meeki

LCL Linux compatability loader

update news:

Things are looking good now with the unity version of LCL.

Will allow GUI interface to apply paches with out a need to know how to use CLI (command line interface)

What it does now.

1) Detects system info:

Linux, arch 64 or 32 bit, kernal version, KSP version

2) Start Options:

64 or 32 bit KSP start depending on detection. Can override to use both if your on a 64bit system with multi arch support!

option to use LC_ALL=C

option to use Threaded Optimizations for nvidia

3) Patches:

SegfaultPatch

install ariel fonts

doubble open file limit with ulimit

What I'm working on now.

4)Settings.cfg:

one click delete / backup / edit settings.cfg

5)Screen resolution:

GUI for changing screen resolution Full or windowed

custom and predefined resoultions with a test box that will popup showing how the new window will look.

6)Steam:

make all this work with steam installs.

7)KSP DIR Location:

option to select KSP directory to use

8)Backup Utility:

ability to backup things like your settings.cfg or current quicksaves.

9)Modlister

Ability to show all current mods installed with clickable link to mod homepage

10)Installer:

Make LCL .deb installer and also a bash installer for non deb guys

Any one care to add an idea please do.

Mueslo, I seem to have the same problem. I'm running a Debian/testing with a HD7970. The problem arises even with the latest fglrx version (19 december), mostly when I EVA (there's something like a 75% chance an EVA will freeze X). X is then unkillable, and KSP.x86_64 as well. It seems to occur with the 32bit KSP version as well. I've tried many things to avoid that, no to avail. Latest fglrx, 32 bits KSP version, AMD compatibility mode (seems to be a CPU related fix, but hey.)

If someone's got news about this ...

Dukat863 i was able to get better FPS running the 32bits version and reducing the resolution.

I am using debian testing

I meant that KSP runs with optirun/primusrun exactly the same as it would without those (which would start it on Intel GPU, which is slow and has no anti-aliasing support)

If i go to settings and change render detail slider (and then change it back), it runs fast and with anti-aliasing, just like it should.

KSP worked fine in 0.21 and earlier, which makes me think something in 0.22 caused it to broke (it might be Unity3D update, or the appearance of the launcher)

type:

you should get

0838077: 01

type:

Check

type:

you should get

0838077: 00

type:

youshould get

Double Check

type:

type:

youshould get

Meh I get 00

$ xxd -s +0x83807c -l 1 KSP.x86_64
083807c: 00

Is this bad, can I do anything to get it work? I use the Steam version.

The game still starts.

EDIT

Ok, I think you've made a mistake in your post and wrote one step 2 times. 00 is the right value, I used your bash file and it patched it successfully and gave me 00.

EDIT 2

And I can confirm that it work, I can now use B9 Aerospace and KW Rocketry together, without crashing on the loading screen, YEAH! Thanks :)

Edited by NoXPhasma

Ok, so I got a "few" issues with .23 and Catalyst 13.12. I'm using Arch Linux and have a HD7570 (which for some reason shows up with 256MB in the log, even though it has 1GB).

Sadly, I didn't try my older version of Catalyst with .23 before upgrading, so I don't know if the issue is because of the new version or not.

So, when I launch the game all textures are glitchy, don't load correclty, the lighting is just wrong and everything looks unsharp. It does load fine, it doesn't crash, it just looks horrible. I'm going to attach a few screenshots I made. When I try to go the VAB, the game crashes. Everything else seems to work fine, except that is REALLY slow. I get like .5 fps even if I'm just in the scenery or launch only a module with 1 Kerbal (via the SPH, which works fine, for some reason).

The game is stock and this is the log (the one from the screenshots, I quit with ALT+F4 after the last one):

http://pastebin.com/g6mBMWfq (I had to use pastebin, because the log is too long for the character limit)

Screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/eK2JA

EDIT:

Okay, so I just realized that I could try an old copy of .22 and try if it works there. Turns out that I get the same problems there. Everything is exactly as in .23, so I would say if you want to play KSP don't upgrade to 13.12 even if AMD marked it as stable.

EDIT2:

Normaly I use the x86, even though I have a 64bit system, but I decided to give it a shot and the graphics are back to normal. Performance seems to be roughly the same as well, so there is only to hope that the 64bit version is decently stable.

Edited by harrim4n
New Info

NoXPhasma

ya the last line in the patch check should have read 00 . I wrote 01.

I updated my post.

thanks for letting me know about my goof.

Nothing about the patch would fail you it was just a last line check.

Linux Compatibility Loader Update.

Started My own thread http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/63128-Linux-LCL-Linux-Compatibility-Loader-0-0-1

I will no longer be posting about it's development here.

I will post here about it to relese a new version but thats about it.

Almost done! Just putting in GUI stuff now. Almost all the place holders are gone.

Hi, Hello, I recently purchased ksp on steam but I've a problem with the linux version.

This is a screenshot of windows version:

KSP_WIN.png

And this is a screenshot of linux version:

ksp_linux.png

The game don't show the green spheres and I can't dock any part. ¿What's the problem?

Regards.