Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

Holy kraken, that's pretty. Also kinda ominous, with the reflection of the SAS module where their faces ought to be...

Thanks so much Redhaze! Yeah, I'm loving the refection effects that come with the latest version of the Texture Replacer mod. Here's a couple more of the kerbals enjoying the view from their spaceplane:

spKjTkTl.png

2yPFkPZ.png

If you would like to see more pics, I posted a collection of images from this mission in the SSTO thread here.

Edited by Yakuzi

Since I went through all the effort of taking these screenshots (which I also sent to the wonderful team of the Kerbal Podcast- I hope they'll share them on their website next week if they discuss them at all) I thought I'd also share them with you guys...

These are the launches of my 3-part Munar-1 mission: my first mission to the Mun in my current Career game in Real Solar System 6.4x (I had a save-breaking error before that forced me to lose my last save, so I started off with a lot of free Science using the Custom difficulty setting, nor wanting to grind back up the tech tree...)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The first launch was my Scientific Package (launched separately due to the 30-part limit on the level-1 VAB) and refueler for the lander (most of its initial fuel-load is used for the Munar transfer).

The second was my Munar lander (two-stage, and launched ahead of the Command/Service Module due to its minimal use of cryogenic fuels- I am also playing with RealFuels installed)

The third launch was my Command/Service Module (which was launched last due to its heavy reliance on HydroLox propulsion, so as to minimize boil-off)

The Lander and Command/Service Module rendezvoused+docked in Low Kerbin Orbit before heading off the the Mun together (this allowed the lander to use its lower-ISP hypergolic engine for the initial part of the transfer-burn, whereas the Command/Service Module finished the burn with its HydroLOX engine- mainly on the next peripasis-kick around Kerbin...) I wish I had taken some screenshots of that as well, because it made for some rather spectacular imagery of their docking and making their two-part transfer-burn to Munar intercept... (where the CSM will perform the capture with its HydroLOX engine)

Regards,

Northstar

P.S. For those wondering, using your lower ISP-fuels first is a way to minimize propellant requirements for any mission. This also works in stock KSP: for instance using chemical rockets before ion engines, or a lower-ISP chemical stage before one based on LV-N engines... Docking my Lander and CSM together allowed me to thus save some of the Lander's fuel (and reduce the size of the refueling-tanker), even though the Lander had enough fuel to get to the Mun on its own: as I was able to use the lower-ISP hypergolics for the initial part of the Munar transfer, and HydroLOX propulsion for the remainder (due to the relatively much higher mass of the CSM, the Lander was not able to complete the transfer-burn on its own with the Command/Service Module attached...)

http://i.imgur.com/BJEtjsf.png

"Who needs parachutes anyway"

Yup- I've done that before. In fact, see the recovery of my sustainer-stage in my latest pictures: the stage simply lands on its engine as its Terminal Velocity (54 m/s) was lower than the engine's impact tolerance (60 m/s). I actually found that one out by accident- I thought I would be watching my sustainer burn up in the atmosphere with Dealy-ReEntry (nope, the angle was so shallow that re-entry heating never got high enough to be a real problem), the thing land on its side and explode (turns out engine-first was the most stable aerodynamic profile with no fuel left), or a glorious explosive crash-landing/explosion into the ground- not a free recovery of one of my stages. :cool:

It can be done in real life too- the Terminal Velocity of the launch-stage of the Sea Dragon was only supposed to be about 54 m/s with a drag-skirt around the top (sort of like a very weak parachute) and it was projected to be able to survive splashdown in the ocean at up to 60 m/s (it was a pressure-fed Kero/LOX stage built to Big Dumb Booster levels of precision to save on costs- so no major issues were expected with getting saltwater inside the engine...)