Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

HI Snjo. I installed and reinstalled this mod many times. And with a clean game. But whenever i use the Water launch it spawns me a few feet above the ocean, then quickly telport me to the main runway. By the way this mod is a must have. Bye!

Hey Snjo I'm sure most will say this is ugly as Sin but i thought it was a fun little craft that i wanted to share with you.

That's how all rockets should look if you ask me!

HI Snjo. I installed and reinstalled this mod many times. And with a clean game. But whenever i use the Water launch it spawns me a few feet above the ocean, then quickly telport me to the main runway. By the way this mod is a must have. Bye!

The new water launch module code will only work with the latest version of KSP, so if you're running something older than 0.21, update. What you describe used to be the case in launches too close to KSP in the old code.

I run the code in the latest pre-release myself, if you haven't tried that one, do so.

My KSP version is 0.21.1.

To make you own coordinates for the water launch system follow these instructions posted earlier:

Turn water launch off in the action editor, fly something to the desired location (has to be close to the KSC), right click the water module and click the Log button.

In the debug log (Alt+F2), you'll see the current coordinates. Edit the water launch part.cfg to replace/include the lines

MODULE
{
name = FSmoveCraftAtLaunch
launchPosition = -1199.2, 66.2, 4095.4 // using your log coordinates of course
}

edit: this whole water launch code is held together with duct tape and hair pins. It's doing stuff the game does not expect at a vulnerable time in the vessel creation process, so no promises. It's only good luck that it works at all :)

Edited by Snjo

Thanks Snjo for the quick reply :) And i am in 0.21.1 plus using the newest prerelease, but it still happens. I will try what you suggested.. and the F 86 is awsome! And again thanks for the quick reply. Edit: When i check the water launch cfg under the module i have this..

MODULE

{

name = FSmoveCraftAtLaunch

moveAtLaunch = True

addLongitude = 0.5

altitude = 2.0

}

Anyway, I just thought that mabye that the addLongitude could be messed up or something. I am probably wrong, because I know nothing about coding!

Edited by Wolf123

the longitude and latitude is no longer in use, that's what I used in the old version of the code. It now reads a vector3 that corresponds to the vessels location in the current reference frame while in flight. Since the reference frame shifts all the time, the location you read in the log from the part only works close to KSC, after going there directly from launch. Other values are possible, but require guesswork, trial and error. I once put myself into space with some high numbers, but the game didn't like that, and I was stuck. Other parts of the planet might be OK though.

I spent a few hours landing choppers on the roof of the new VAB. Occasionally, they were even the right way up and intact.

A few pointers:

- Use pontoons instead of wheels, as wheels grip and cause a flip unless exactly in the direction of travel.

- Remap your throttle controls (including cut throttle) to your right hand (I didn't, but I will!), it makes landings easier as your left hand is best left full-time on WASD controlling pitch, and helps prevent fatal key-press errors.

- It's near impossible to get a chopper that flies perfectly level. I found if it tended to pitch the nose up, this made landing much easier. I must play with the trim settings part.

- Use downward lights to help mark your landing spot; it's difficult to line up landings on screen due to lack of depth perception.

I experimented using a docking port under the rotor and controlled from there to test if the different nav ball view helped. I'm not sure it did.

I'm also using the radial tanks as my primary fuel source, placed after (and each side of) the rotor such that they do not move the centre of mass. This means they won't unbalance the chopper when fuel drains.

Pic of my example (I later settled on the bigger rotor as it actually is more efficient, running at lower throttle) while a Kerbal checks out an awesome bugged ladder on the roof:

screenshot15.png

Edited by colmo

Hi i cant seem to fix the problem whatever I do. maybe my luck is not holding out! Anyway I have noticed you said i might be too close to the KSC, so i have tried going further.. mabye to far. So what is the perfect place to log. I have no idea why this is happening. But i do have B9 which does use firespitter, so im not sure if they are interfering.

Hi i cant seem to fix the problem whatever I do. maybe my luck is not holding out! Anyway I have noticed you said i might be too close to the KSC, so i have tried going further.. mabye to far. So what is the perfect place to log. I have no idea why this is happening. But i do have B9 which does use firespitter, so im not sure if they are interfering.

Make sure you replace any instance of firespitter.dll with the one in the pre-release.

Is that the F86 Sabre?

Yes, or as close as I can get with this modular system. My goal is the version pictured on wikipedia, cause it looks bad ass. With the new tail surfaces I posted, and when I make an alternate skin for the fuselage fuel tank, it'll be close enough. Don't have the rear landing gear to make it perfect, but there's a limit to how many unique landing gears I can make without going insane :)

Improving :)

wX17nUQ.jpg

I even made a craft with drop tanks. It's a bicth to take off with, but with constant vigilance on the trim, and the tail stabilizing air brakes, it should give you great range with 300 fuel.

Thanks for the quick reply! You are one of the greatest mod creators i have ever seen. I listened to your newest help and... It works. Sometimes it spawns me and explodes me, but it also spawns me in the water. Thanks so much for your help. And as you said there are bugs, so I should expect them. Wow, now i cant wait to build a navy. Thanks!

Loving the 50's/60's jet theme - it's the most Kerbal time in history. Checking out the new wings now....

Placement of drop tanks has to happen last in assembly - keeping an eye on the CoM indicator, try to place them without it moving, I'd guess.

Hey Snjo! I am working on a Ballast Tank to allow proper submarines in KSP. I can definitely see using the water launch tool, rudder and propellers!

I will have to seriously consider the FSbuoyancy plugin. Particularly it would have to be adapted for the deepest part of the ocean (1km?), but it is much better to know how buoyancy is being calculated than.... however KSP does it. How did you determine what the appropriate amount of buoyancy force should be, and how does this exactly affect it? I have read through the source code and a link to a previous post would be fine. :)

By the way, is this what I think it is? Does InputLockManager.ClearControlLocks() fix that stuck craft issue that happens when loading sometimes? Could this allow for midair saving!?!

The input lock fix and such may no longer be needed, I haven't tried without it, but you don't get the lockup you did in 0.20 any more. That piece of lock fix code is based on lots of experiments by both me and InfiniteDice, so no one really knows what it all does any more :) Try one thing at a time and see what happens.

The buoyancy kills the stock buoyancy on the part, and does pretty much the same thing, but with more configurability, and less crazy. So after killing the stock code on a part, that part will fall through the ocean like it wasn't even there. It's all just air then. The stock one just pushes you more up the deeper you are, no matter what kind of part you are dealing with. Mine pushes up to a max, to allow for parts that have a max load capacity basically. It also allows you to set the ocean level. If you were to set it at 70 m, you would be floating like in water 70m off the ground.

If you turn debugMode = true on the float module cfg, you can increase or decrease the float force on the part. It goes between 0 at "ocean" level, and the set force (12 in my case), at the defined max depth (0.5m I think on the floats). If you retool the code, you can just make the part think the ocean level is at your current target depth, and just clamp that so you can't have a target above sea level. It also limits the speed at which a part can rise to decrease bobbing up and down. It does this by only applying force if the vessel is rising less than 0.2m/s.

Oh, and water impact resistance in stock is just based on ground impact resistance, so I made that a separate thing. Any part placed on the sub that's missing custom buoyancy code will drag you up, so it has to consist of only parts with that code, unless you do a Destroy on all vessel.parts[x].partBuoyancy. That has to happen after OnStart though, cause it's added at some odd time.

Edited by Snjo

Aren't there any props that use only electricity and not liquidfuel?

There are four I think. One helicopter electric folding one, a regular 1m and a 0.5m prop, one folding electric 0.5m prop, and all the tail rotors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.