[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

Oh god, Top Secret! Haven't seen that in ages! 'Souvineers, novelties, party tricks.' Who'd have thought Omar Sherif would have gone for a bit part in something like that! Maybe he just had a thing for car crushers? :)

After futuristic, high-tech and serious Grand Tour, doing this pure stock (except for Kerbal Engineer Redux and Protractor) 0.22 upbeat mission felt different. And cool:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I would really love to hear your opinion on upgrading the Grand Tour to 0.22 version, guys.

I'm still wondering whether I should do this. This probably won't affect the rate at which new chapters show up. But there are other issues:

Interesting how you pitched the Goo canister. I look forward to anticipating how you'll 'interpret' other scientific instruments. One question though, if we ever see the Duna Base crew ever again, will there be instruments at the base as well? It'll be interesting to have the Grand Tour bring science fully into the fold, the definition of the Grand Tour will have to be changed to "Every planet and moon AND a data set for each." I'm still kind of worried about what BERTY defines as science if he cuts up 'biomass' for petty experiments

This brings a bigger issue of updating the Grand Tour to 0.22. The whole story was planned in March (not that much left from this early ideas) and initiated in April. Currently it's still running on 0.20.2 version. Now I guess I could transfer it somehow to 0.22 (asssuming there won't be problems with some parts and some of them are from 0.18) but this would erase all the traces of "Protues" journey - flags, debris, vehicles and probes and of course planets configuration which is obviously different in a starting date (Year 1 Day 1). There are some ways to make it work (timewarp and set every thing on a correct orbit in a correct time using HyperEdit) but it would take a lot of time I would prefer to spend on other things like writing for instance. I've a lot of crushes recently when I'm playing the Grand Tour however, so I'm considering doing it anyways. I'm not sure though what do you guys think about this - it would be, in a way, cheating since it won't be a Grand Tour if I start with a new persistent file with "Proteus" above Vall and continue from there. What do you think about it?

What do you think?

Definitely. I usually keep a copy of the old versions of KSP for completing old challenges. Same goes for this... I guess it is a self imposed challenge anyway really, isn't it? Stay with current version for now. Changing also has issues with landing legs at the moment, but I'm sure that'll be cleared up. Wouldn't want your landers bottoming out on you!

I bought KSP on Steam a couple of months ago and I class myself as a rookie with 140 hours of play time logged. I can get in a stable circular orbit, I can dock and I can land on the Mun and get back in one piece. But, the Mun is as far as I've managed so far.

Yesterday, oct 24th, the motherboard of my 3 month old alienware M17x-R4 decided to commit suicide................so I'm on a dog slow old laptop awaiting a new motherboard to be installed.

Why am I typing this? Well, since the old laptop can't run KSP I had to get a KSP 'fix' somewhere and I stumbled on this wonderful AAR. I've read all 89 pages since the MB died.

All I can say is...........wow!!! EPIC story! Ok, yes, there are some grammatical errors but they in no way get in the way of the atmosphere and story telling that this yarn brings.

Reading it all pretty much in a day and a bit really was thrilling and I literally couldn't put it down and now, I join the legions of fellow readers who sit by awaiting the next instalment with baited beath...........

Not tryin' to smack czok or anything here, but how is it that Jeb even considered climbing into a ship without a Shiny Red Candylike button (commonly known as a Manual Override)?

He's a pilot, he'd want to be able to fly the thing himself. Plus, he's Jebediah Kerman. He says jump, the universe asks, "How high?"

I bought KSP on Steam a couple of months ago and I class myself as a rookie with 140 hours of play time logged. I can get in a stable circular orbit, I can dock and I can land on the Mun and get back in one piece. But, the Mun is as far as I've managed so far.

Yesterday, oct 24th, the motherboard of my 3 month old alienware M17x-R4 decided to commit suicide................so I'm on a dog slow old laptop awaiting a new motherboard to be installed.

Why am I typing this? Well, since the old laptop can't run KSP I had to get a KSP 'fix' somewhere and I stumbled on this wonderful AAR. I've read all 89 pages since the MB died.

All I can say is...........wow!!! EPIC story! Ok, yes, there are some grammatical errors but they in no way get in the way of the atmosphere and story telling that this yarn brings.

Reading it all pretty much in a day and a bit really was thrilling and I literally couldn't put it down and now, I join the legions of fellow readers who sit by awaiting the next instalment with baited beath...........

I did the same thing. Although I read Kadmos first, when my gaming laptop died and I had to use my 10 year old one running openSUSE this story kept me going. Hope it gets fixed soon!

I'd stick with the version you've got. Last time you updated it sounded like it was a real pain in the backside. There's really nothing to add to the story by making that jump, and some of your parts are from even older versions which could completely stop working.

I guess I'm selfish, I want to finish reading the story! :)

I did the same thing. Although I read Kadmos first, when my gaming laptop died and I had to use my 10 year old one running openSUSE this story kept me going. Hope it gets fixed soon!

Cheers tom1499. A Dell engineer came to my office and swapped out the motherboard late Friday afternoon and it still won't power :( turns out the MB is fine its the Nvidia. So, its rebuilt and working minus the Nvida awaiting a new one (Tuesday with luck) but god, the Intel on board graphics suck....I can build in the VAB but laggy as hell trying to fly anything over 200 parts....

So waiting patiently for the next chapter and also starting to read Kadmos to keep me sane

Just keep up the good work czo!! We anxiously await the next chapter!

Well, I would love to finally finish it and release it but real life sometimes gets in the way constantly. Please be a little more patient guys and remember - there are still weeks of new releases ahead of us :)

Honestly, I have saved a few of the screens from the story as desktop backgrounds... Maybe I should have asked first... :wink:

I'm afraid I have no other choice than to sue you :P

I love this AAR and everything, but I always had one question referring to the parts of the Proteus ever since noticing the front of the ship.

Where is the frontal shield from? I looked through most all of the 90 pages and went through the parts of Deadly Reentry & others, but I still couldn't find it.

I'm wondering as it could come in handy for a certain project that I have going on that involves Jool.

I love this AAR and everything, but I always had one question referring to the parts of the Proteus ever since noticing the front of the ship.

Where is the frontal shield from? I looked through most all of the 90 pages and went through the parts of Deadly Reentry & others, but I still couldn't find it.

I'm wondering as it could come in handy for a certain project that I have going on that involves Jool.

Here you are: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/31251-The-Icarus-Project

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.