Attempting Titanus (New Horizons, 1.12.5)

FTLparachute

Ah, New Horizons.

An old mod for KSP, NH rearranged the stock system, moving bodies around and adding new ones to explore. However, the lack of any major updates past 1.3 left it in the dust against the more well known mods of today.

However, thanks to the work of several users (link here), a version of NH compatible with modern KSP is available. So today, I thought I'd use this opportunity to land on one of the mod's hardest bodies - Titanus.

What is New Horizons?

As mentioned, NH is a revamp of the stock solar system. Notable changes include:

• Interplanetary distances are now much greater
  • Kerbin is now a moon of a gas giant, Sonnah
  • Entire system in inclined to Kerbin's orbit, making transfer more complicated
  • Several other new bodies, including:
  • Ernus - vacuum planet with Eve's gravity, orbiting at an unhealthily close distance to the Sun
  • Vanor - Furthest planet from The Sun. Moons include mini-Eve (Tidus) and high gravity dogtoy (Etal)
  • Titanus - Subject of this mission. Super-Kerbin with 9 atm surface pressure, 2+ g surface gravity and 160km atmosphere.

Titanus orbits just past Jool in this mod, and has three moons, one of which happens to be Tylo. Despite a quirk of New Horizon planets having unrealisticly low entry heating, Titanus is the exact opposite - its atmosphere hits you like a brick wall the instant you drop below 160km.

Designing the lander

Although Titanus is a tough nut to crack, my solution was simple - recycle an old design of mine. Specifically, this abomination  v

jzcG2Uq.png

About a year ago I had the bright idea to send a rocket to the 0-mark of Jool's atmosphere, using helicopter rotors to push the rocket. This mission was made more complicated by doing it on Console. I will not elaborate, you probably get the idea from just that.

Turns out, the basic design works very well for Titanus, and with a few modifications (more thrust, landing legs, fuel cells for rotors instead of 100+ RTGs) the Titanus mission was ready for launch.

As well as this, I gave myself the arbitrary restriction of only using stock parts. Technically my use of ReStock does invalidate this, but I am willing to do this for the sake of prettier rockets.

Launch 1 - Lander

EzUJSOM.png

The first rocket launch was the Titanus lander. The rocket's main feature is the oversized fairing to protect the blades. It was successfully taken to orbit by an SSTO. Yes, it is an SSTO. It certainly cannot fly well, but it is a single stage to orbit.

Launch 2 - Transfer

rknZ1SB.png

Yet another holdover from the Jool Mission of Abomination, this transfer stage is powered by 24 NERVs. It lacks RCS, however, which resulted in about 20 minutes of pushing the two modules together in orbit until the Sr. docking ports connected.

Launch 3 - Crew + Minor lander

22WRw9v.png

The final launch used the only rocket I think was vaguely aesthetically pleasing. It carried up the lander for Titanus' new moons and the crew module, housing Jeb, Bob and Val. This docking was thankfully more succinct, as the reaction wheels aligned it better.

The rocket was now assembled.

qjuk73o.png

Using the Astrogator mod (link here) I plotted my course to Titanus. Thankfully, a combination of the Oberth effect of Sonnah and little inclination made the transfer very cheap. However, what I did not expect was for my laptop to crash KSP several times until I relented on using any gravity assists to capture.

iPuNAEC.png

The capture around Titanus was uneventful, minus a small Kraken attack. Turns out, this craft isn't very stable (go figure) and nearly shook itself to bits. This was fixed with Autostrut.

The Descent

dQuK42H.png

The descent to Titanus was terrible. Due to the setup of rotors and heat shields, the craft took 2 hours to fully reach Titanus' surface, leading to an entire session wasted when it fell over on a cliff. The wings did not contribute to this, as despite being behind the heat shields they burnt off after less than a minute.

[mission is WIP, will update when landing is / isn't done]

Edited by FTLparachute
updated post

I like this! The New Horizons pack has always been one of my favorites, even if it’s a little dated compared to a lot of other planet packs out today.

I also agree with the use of a rotor-powered craft… leaving Titanus on rocket propulsion alone sounds next to impossible. If I recall correctly, there is oxygen in its atmosphere, which allows for the use of jet engines. I remember trying to make some sort of stratolaunch contraption years ago with it, but never managed to successfully get it to the surface without burning up. Best of luck!