Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

It probably does fit better, I just liked the idea of Jeb riding a robot's head. And bonus points if you can actually land it on another celestial body. I can't figure out how to get it spaceworthy. Actually, I haven't launched anything of note recently.

Your resized wheels are spot on. :D

They are the perfect size to build fast stable Munbuggies.

/snip

This NOT how you want to see your Kerbals. (Did I really say stable?)

Glad to see you having fun with them! They're pretty nifty looking, I much prefer them at this size as opposed to the stock sizing. And haha yeah, "stable" is not the right word for these wheels unfortunately, any sharp turns exceeding about 12 m/s will end in some very dead Kerbals! It's not a lot better in Munar gravity either (read: it's much, much worse)...

Caterpillar I ....mobile munbase

here is the main thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31671-Caterpillar-I-mobile-base-rover-launch-vehicle-0-20-%28Mechjeb-2-version-included%29

Pictures:

base in "parking mode":

UBc98mc.jpg

rover/base after dropoff:

Xo3fHVx.jpg

powered descent (rover with dropship)

wc6EUbx.jpg

stats:

crew capacity: 13 (including driver)

mass when deployed: 16.04t

max safe speed on flat terrain: 20m/s (12m/s in "bumpy" terrain)

max safe speed for sharp turns: 2m/s (5m/s in "precision mode")

Video:

Built a mobile Duna base that can hold 10 Kerbals at once and, assuming you have any fuel left, has some VTOL functionality:

opIkefR.jpg

wCThpq6.png

Some assembly (in space) is required to get it to Duna:

jyM7WI2.png

mRdZXEq.png

LOVE the new docking port sr. It's all the stability I'd wanted in a docking port-turned-structural-integrity-centerpoint, and makes awesome builds like this one much more feasible! :D

So I thought I would test ramps in the new update.

O7DLQuS.png

0hS1B8g.png

:D

MW16X6W.jpg

this still doens't work tho.

I did find that if you undock, then tab around or go to space center and come back, THEN it'll treat the ramp properly. but using ramp shaped lander still not going to work very well. :/

First rover I have built after months of not playing KSP. And I think I have found a bug or something...

I've hit those same invisible bumps, they're a known issue.

You might want to mount the RTGs inside the framework rather than outside. That way if you do roll it there's fewer things to break off.

I wanted to build a rover that was both fun and durable, the Puma is what I came up with through testing.

It can handle pretty ugly rolls/flips at moderate speeds, and is equipped with boosters for righting itself if flipped over.

Puma2_3.png

Puma2_4.png

Puma2_5.png

Download it here

What kind of crazy made-up animal is a Puma?

(Seriously, great looking design. Thanks for posting!)

Umm... Personnel Utility Mobility and Accessibility? Yeah... I got nothing. I was kind of going for a Red vs Blue reference.

: )

I forgot to mention I included 2x4 and 4x4 operation based on the desired need. Locking the steering on the rear wheels reduces the likely hood of flipping in a turn. Use the Custom01 key binding to toggle between modes.

my first Kethane mining/refining Rig:

ksKe2VD.jpg

.....yea that is a landing platform

L6zl7ui.jpg

i made a small walkway.....

MSyfbzO.jpg

the empty weight is about 67tons

cS7E3Gm.jpg

as long as you have sunlight the converter and drill can work at the same time

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.