Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

here is just my small rover outpost on Duna. the small rover is a kethane rover and the larger rover is our maned rover. Use ksp attachment system to hook the rover to there bases our landing gear. (the large rovers base landed further away)

screenshot7.png

screenshot5.png

screenshot8.png

Does use a couple mods but was all gotten there by stock rocket

The Persephone was made to be anywhere standard rover.

The Persephone rover during testing at the KSC.

SbuncXx.jpg

On the surface of the Mun. Incidentally my first successful Mun landing, unmanned.

UczFrlh.jpg

Hey!

I'm new to KSP so I'm not completely familiar with the game. Anyway... I noticed that you have more parts on the ship construction screen and also a bit different GUI than I have and I would like to know why.

Thanks for your answer.

Hello,

I noticed that you have a slightly different GUI and more parts on the construction screen than I do. I'm a bit new to KSP so please don't get angry because I don't know why. Is it a mod or some sort of an exclusive edition?

Tiny, mediocre first-interplanetary-mission rover. It first had extendable solar panels, but they just broke off, and I had to relaunch with nuclear reactors. Eve is evil. At least to solar panels.

F436879BBB2B3823271D17F2F0647D4DFF463487

And yes, that's MechJeb in the side. Don't judge. I sometimes forget to F2. ;.;

I figure it would be best to introduce my self with my rovers!

Here is my first 0.19 rover:

jVIrpzrh.png

Catching some air:

eX7gt2vh.png

WELP:

DJ6tyqRh.png

Luckily Jeb is fine and happy as ever:

vcjT0dXh.png

My tiny Duna Rover and its sky crane:

MSY8PmSh.png

Not the most stable of rovers:

Rer1ts5h.png

I found another magic boulder!

NSd4enBh.png

My massive Sport Utility Rover heading to Duna to act as transport between different bases:

PNxDbZMh.png

Landed!

B8LQgXZh.png

My Dres lander with my Dres Rover:

KJksq04h.png

This thing can go wicked fast. Also, Dres is a great place to catch air and go flying!

EhqpJ6Eh.jpg

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/JCuRu#0

I'd recommend taking a super stable rover out to Dres, just to fly across the landscape. :D

Mun Roller and Come Backer One

Mun lander with a Shrimec(*) and a platform to take off again. All parts stock, no mods:

(*) A term from Robot Wars TV Show meaning self-righting mechanism used when you're knocked upside down. No, I have no idea why there's a letter "H" in the abbreviation. I didn't invent the term.

In Transit to Mun:

59BF3DC3AFD8E9E1C1B36348D18088A40D5C2EDC

Making de-orbit burn for landing:

9363915EB49C6064A0D38BACCD9E37CD36E35FC9

Landed:

06A4ECEB868B4C64A351AD322D6E5A90FDDCA2D9

Disconnected from lander platform and starting to drive:

4BBEFDC12D128589A2666DC427ADC236E198DA79

Self Righting mechanism (made of landing legs upside down on the roof) pushing lander back onto its wheels again after a driving mishap:

00254488F463E687EB8B73911B42536053FA165DD3B6D4C628B9E4C394AFF2F5E691E8305B1041F7

Driving rover back onto lander platform after an excursion. There is a docking clamp at the front of the rover that will connect to the clamp on the lander when it drives up against it:

14341E451EF0179826E2AD8F8F9FFDE758EF5C59

Clamped to lander for re-flying:

9D06876A2AF17004C9A03CA9150BEACBA36407FA

And take off again, ready to be taken elsewhere on the Mun (or if I had better skill at landing and hadn't wasted almost all my fuel trying trying to abort crashing trajectories over and over, to be taken back to orbit around Kerbin again and dock with a space station.) :

E283FC9E78511151333CBC89A8DD0D2AD2508115

Really nice idea, a reusable Platform to land again and again !

I'm curious how this worked, because when I tried it I failed hard. The wheels fall right thru the parts. Is it because it's so flat that the wheels fall thru and are touching the ground underneath?

also, don't try this. I desperately wanted it to work but the wheels fall through the ramp parts. I've tried them all. save yourself the heartache.

hxdtXsK.png

I ended up going the skycrane route, a simple tank with side thrusters actually worked out perfect

2HVphpn.png

Edited by automcdonough

I'm curious how this worked, because when I tried it I failed hard. The wheels fall right thru the parts. Is it because it's so flat that the wheels fall thru and are touching the ground underneath?

I don't know. I know that the panels did constitute a "bump" to drive up onto so the physics engine must be treating them as real objects for the wheels to interact with. But for attachment, I used a normal decoupler underneath the rover attaching it to the central axis of the rocket, and the docking clamps were originally not connected in initial construction. The rover was parked with it's clamp facing the front, and the lander's clamp was at the back. This is because you can't have two points of attachment in construction.

I ended up going the skycrane route, a simple tank with side thrusters actually worked out perfect

I was trying to avoid the problem of carrying around the takeoff fuel on the rover itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.