Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

The Dragonfly series Low Gravity Vehicles were designed as mobile facilities to explore the larger low gravity bodies in KSP.

Dragonfly-1 was designed with its own landing "backpack" assembly that would allow it to land safely, at which point the descent engines and extra fuel tank are ejected.

screenshot39.png

A triple ion engine array provides the thrust necessary to move. Aldberry Kerman is ecstatic to have successfully completed the first landing deployment test.

screenshot36.png

Dragonfly-7 was redesigned to maintain the vehicle's flight capability after landing, and no longer relies on external thrust for forward motion. This makes it less reliant on support from refueling vehicles and stations. The 7 series also features enhanced lighting and docking facilities for support vehicles.

screenshot42.png

Jebediah joins Aldberry in celebrating yet another successful landing deployment test, before holding a moment of silence to commemorate the loss of their friend and co-pilot. Bob, who was tragically lost in an accident during the Kerbin-side hover flight testing phase of Dragonfly-6, will be remembered as one of the finest and most skilled test pilots of the program. Jebediah, who recommended Bob for consideration into the program, carries a piece of the faulty strut that caused the tragic accident with him to the Mün.

screenshot47.png

CR7EAIJ.png

Leafa-1 moments after landing, performing a system check of the scientific insturments on board.

Her mission is to locate a mun arch.

Alas, it ended in failure. Upon attempting to drive, the pod torque caused it to flip over and destroyed both RTGs, depriving it of electrical power.

This is a prototype for a Crew retriever on Kerbin, since only landing on the planet and calling it quits because i am still sucking at point landing. As ive seen through the testing stages, it needs an engine for propellation through water.

That was quite a fun ride, though.

2013-04-21_00009_zpsb06886fa.jpg

Werhvin and his pet rover stranded together on the Mun:

tOSqb8m.png

HllGA6V.png

Var03c6.jpg

It was not intentional for him to be with the rover, he was supposed to fix the rover wheels if any broke on landing and then return home to Kerbin. The ship just happened to explode on landing, but Werhvin and the rover were safe.

Edited by rryy

I designed this thing i call Sysiphos (currently, it's 5th incarnation) for on-Kerbin rescue missions.

As stated by someone else in another thread: Spaceplanes are hard.

2013-04-22_00001_zpsc44a2ab5.jpg

2013-04-22_00002_zps1feb519d.jpg

2013-04-22_00003_zps4e7c24c2.jpg

The plane part is kinda stable, but still a bit rough on the landing (topples over, goes into uncorrectable spin)..

KXQS48N.png

Seven out of eight wheels still working. Good enough.

The rover made its landing unmanned, and all the colonists are on the other side of the planet. Ogre-D has a long drive ahead of it to get a repair.

...I haven't bothered getting mine to Laythe yet, not until 0.20.0 when they are fitted with their Mining payloads

I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out. :)

I LOVE this, I've tried similar but it's never worked for me :(

Thanks! The current design does suffer from low-carriage (don't run over any sudden bumps!) but my landing spots have thankfully been flat plains or gentle slopes.

FD449F7A92513ECEBE59CD15E55B7662E7E74A87

My favorite light-duty rover design on the red world. It would have been a better shot if I hadn't bounced my landing and broken 3 struts.

CFA157A9A68BB2DFC5E60ABC2CBA63A3F8800ACD

A slightly more ambitious application of that same rover. It turned out that though the flight went perfectly, they were too close to the ground and would not let go of their docking clamps when decoupled.

Responding to a nice comment made:

Yes you are so right, the second image shows a craft of supreme inefficiency. That was done just to see if I could actually get it there at all. It turned out that it did arrive, and even had enough fuel to return to Kerbin after failing to deploy the rovers.

Edited by Curs0r
Response to comment

What's this dapper creation?

XgVbgbI.png

So suave... wait what?

l3ChC2C.png

Introducing, The Cube!*

Destroying debris in style!

*More of a rectangular prism.

UDhDPLN.png

Normally, I agree with Squad's no weapons stance. But this time, there was a job to be done!

Until a structural failure lost me one of the wheels. A panel had broken loose, and the vehicle was immobile.

I could've ended flight, but that would've left more debris. So I turned my heat ray inwards...

jD4qj7g.jpg

Close enough.

r7sYkkX.png

Clean up operations continued with a more practical machine.

cpBnE89.png

UlgXmLa.png

Much better. Kerbals woke up to much less laggy launchings.

Now, all I need is to motivate myself to clean my room to the same extent...

Also, I think I'll show my Mega Munar Load lifter, as the thread it appeared in was lost.

JIFPxyF.png

zdrOv0S.jpg

How Kerbals get things out of their buildings, we'll never know.

Here is one of its smaller siblings (customised for Minmus), taking of from the launchpad. That accent vehicle was designed before I learnt I could transfer vessels from the SPH to the VAB, and launched things like this vertically from the runway.

It works well.

T0bIqQg.jpg

This family of vehicles has been instrumental in the construction of my Mun base.

Edited by Tw1

The Light Rover MKI plus lander, the new series of rovers is designed for low gravity environment and will replace the Interplanetary Rover series that managed to land at almost every body in the Kerbal Solar System

1aDx2Gs.jpg

59Baus4.png

Interplanetary Rover Series

MkI

30q3yww.png

MkII

slQf6MD.jpg

MkIII

ciUyw1e.png

MkV

NTSOpCR.jpg

(The MkIV was destroyed at Duna and i forgot to take any screenshots)

MK I Rover (My very first rover-Very hard to drive)

screenshot10.png

screenshot11.png

MK II Rover A significant improvement, but still needed work

screenshot50.png

MK III Rover The Latest and Greatest

screenshot73.png

~At the Munar Grand Canyon-Yes it drove down into it and back out

screenshot86.png

~A Sunday drive on Ike

In case you were wondering, the landing gear on the front was put there to allow for a vertical landing, followed by a drop of one of the landing struts without damaging the wheels from the impact

Edited by wolfedg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.