Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

Well this is my second attempt at a large rover. The first was terribly difficult to maneuver and was scrapped. This is my NMRB, (Nova Mobile Rover Base) program using all stock parts. As I said before this is the Mk 2 of the NMBR program. The team will continue to make improvements and modifications in hopes of eventually creating an interplanetary version.

LH9JM0C.jpg

Here it is semi-deployed after touchdown. Jeb and bill are moving to the first staging area. Where they will then lower the legs to make the base stationary. This will also make it easier to gauge the height of docking ports.

NxL0sXB.png

And here we have Jeb and Bill exploring the surface for a second time, but just excited to be here as the first.

Does this qualify as a rover? :)

does it have ladders on it to board the top of a capsule? I was thinking of making something like that with some ramps and ladders on hinges for manning up colony ships rather than using the crew manifest mod to do it

Looking at the thread (there's some pretty damn epic stuff here), this is pretty low-rent, but it's my first one and I'm pretty chuffed that it even works.

I already have a Jeb waiting on the moon for delivery (he's happily landed in between the two ridges on south edge of the giant equatorial crater), so it's unmanned and driven from a flat probe module wedged in between the batteries and the descent stage. It's a 'Vertical descent/controlled topple' landing for now.

1x44WOm.png

MseVeYJ.png

It seems to drive pretty well, but I've been having a few teething troubles.

1st attempt – Staging errors in liftoff stage (ooops). Only 6 of 13 engines fired. Did actually lift off, so I didn’t notice at first, but broke up while trying to ignite the other engines in mid-air.

2nd attempt (pictured) – Tried to land at local night on the moon. Couldn’t see the surface. Smashy Smashy.

3rd Attempt – Landing lights now fitted, but landing would be in lunar daytime anyway. Landed successfully about 20km from the manned base. While attempting to drive on the moon, the rear kept lifting up (like, 45 degrees up, pulling all 6 wheels off the ground). I initially thought this was just because it was nose heavy, then I wrote it off to stupid wheel reaction physics and tried shutting power off to certain wheels, no better. Actual cause of the problem was that the ‘drive forward’ and ‘pitch nose down’ commands are mapped to the same key, so the control unit’s gyros (at the rear) were pitching the nose down hard enough to lift the tail up. Separating these controls led to successful driving. Rolled and crashed about 10km from base.

4th attempt ("Burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp") – The lights worked perfectly, landed at lunar sunset, 10km from Lander. After the previous roll, switched to front wheel steering only in the hope this would make it skid less on cornering (previous was front and rear steered). Rolled and crashed 5km from base. I think I was on a hill, but it was properly dark by that point and even with the nose light I couldn’t see too well. I think I actually just need to stop trying to corner at 15m/s.

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to edit with a picture of it parked up next to the lander. Or at least get some pictures of it driving. Or at least remember to take some pictures when I crash it again.

does it have ladders on it to board the top of a capsule? I was thinking of making something like that with some ramps and ladders on hinges for manning up colony ships rather than using the crew manifest mod to do it

It has a lander-can for driving, with ladders leading up, although it's tricky to get to with the current design. I'll be moving it much lower to the ground.

launchtowervab.jpg

Added central core, fuel lines, and gantries. Tower completed at 809 parts. More like a lag tower.

launchtower1.jpg

launchtower2.jpg

I love how people are building launch towers to replace the one that was removed.

The great thing about custom towers is you can move them away!

And Kerbals placed on top don't need to be cleared away before you launch.

Designing ladders to get them up and down can be tricky though.

This is the rover that help me find so many of the Easter eggs on Krbin and the Mun.

http://imgur.com/a/o75tQ

It has been modified since the photo to include 4 solar panels with 4 battery packs under the chassis and an antenna in one of the 4 corners.

I mount 8 if these on a rocket. Place the rocket in orbit. Draw just enough fuel for each drop rover to land at the possible mapped locations and drive around to find whats there.

:)

BJ Quest - PS: Working on a planet base station :)

Attempted to use Imgur but appears to to be working for me at this time :(

Edited by BJ Quest
I think I got the image thing right :-)

I think you're using the wrong Imgur link. The one you need is the middle one on the right column, and you don't need to use the forum's 'insert image' function. Just include the link in your post.

Edited by Vanamonde

Came up with a new rover design, decided to share it.

6Su1IGFl.png

This is the rover, it's lander and Munar orbit stage. If I had used a larger tank for that, it could probably do the trans-Munar injection as well, but space constraints forced me to use smaller tanks. More the launch vehicles fault than the landers, but I digress.

S1Qjo64l.png

The lander and rover landed. It had plenty of fuel left in it - it's powered by four ant engines and still manages a respectable TWR on the Mun. Also looks cooler with only one antenna deployed. It's not obvious but there is a little clearance between the rover wheels and the ground.

bXGGKnsl.png

The rover itself. Power comes from four RLA MMRTGs. These are the only non-stock part on this rover, so a solar powered version would be completely stock. Note that the wheels are canted to provide a longer wheel base, which works fine in regards to steering and such. The docking port on top is how the rover attached to the lander and it can re-dock to it easily, which provides opportunities for more advanced versions of this rover.

In the background is an earlier rover creatively titled "Munar Rover".

Here are a couple of my rovers

number 1 is a huge transport rover for smaller rovers and other stuff. it has 12 of the big wheels.Plenty of fuel supplies for refueling small craft.can use the KAS attachment system to hold craft in cargo hold or docking ports.

screenshot36.png

screenshot32.png

Number 2 is a small maned attack vehicle with 2 guns attached to its sides.it has 6 medium wheels and runs on both soar and rtg's

screenshot40.png

hope you like the rovers. i will probiably post up some more latter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.