[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

the ECLSS thread seems to have slowed down.

I've been playtesting 2.0 whole weekend and found a bunch of issues. Once I fix them I'll do another round of playtesting, and then put out public beta.

Please don't get too excited about it just yet. Unfortunately I can't do anything during work week these days as I leave home at 6:30 am and come back at 8:30pm every day, so the only time I've got is weekend. Public beta is still at least a week or two away.

But its also primitive compared to the soyuz (Not TMA) too

No, it isn't. It's a straight-out modification of Soyuz 7K-OK, the DM is almost the same. It's missing a spare chute, has some weight shaved off, has a different power source and docking system, but all of those are modifications necessary for it's mission as Moon orbiter. It's quite similar to Apollo CSM regarding the technology it uses.

So I have a really random question...How do I get the NASA LER from the American Pack off Kerbin and it still be usable? Every thing I have tried lately has failed, the failure being that the wheels phase through anything I try to use and then the LER becomes undrivable. Any tips, or suggestions or even telling me I'm an idiot then telling me how it is meant to work would be awesome, because I can't figure it out.

So I have a really random question...How do I get the NASA LER from the American Pack off Kerbin and it still be usable? Every thing I have tried lately has failed, the failure being that the wheels phase through anything I try to use and then the LER becomes undrivable. Any tips, or suggestions or even telling me I'm an idiot then telling me how it is meant to work would be awesome, because I can't figure it out.

You put in on the lander, there's a cargo platform where you can put 2 rovers on, then a ramp for you to roll them off.

Will the soviet and american packs work without the ECLSS folders, I like realism but I don't want all my Kerbals in space to die as soon as i install, and I just don't want the hassle of having to constantly monitor life support, I just want to you know........... ROCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will the soviet and american packs work without the ECLSS folders, I like realism but I don't want all my Kerbals in space to die as soon as i install, and I just don't want the hassle of having to constantly monitor life support, I just want to you know........... ROCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can delete the Life support folder and play without it.

Does the Orion work in 0.23? I know that in the OP post there's only 0.22 compability mentioned but sometimes things works good enough without full update :)

Works for me. :D

EDIT @hoodedarche0 I seen that happen if you are using FAR.

Edited by Mecripp2

Has anyone else figured out the Buran landing gears? The front gear doesn't stick out enough to bring the nose down without scraping the runway. Back gears on the wings seemed fine at touchdown, I only scraped the belly when letting the nose gear touch the runway. Kerbals survived, but what's with the scary nose gear? I am still going to use this extensively, despite that problem. The vehicle is just so useful and awesome!

Has anyone else figured out the Buran landing gears? The front gear doesn't stick out enough to bring the nose down without scraping the runway. Back gears on the wings seemed fine at touchdown, I only scraped the belly when letting the nose gear touch the runway. Kerbals survived, but what's with the scary nose gear? I am still going to use this extensively, despite that problem. The vehicle is just so useful and awesome!

Never had this problem. The nose gear barely extends below the gear door - but has always held the fuselage off the runway when landing. Do you have a picture?

Never had this problem. The nose gear barely extends below the gear door - but has always held the fuselage off the runway when landing. Do you have a picture?

Right, it barely clears the gear door. But as soon as I let the wheel touch the runway it buckles and gets pushed back into the bay, but doesn't seem broken. I am making as smooth and lightweight landing as possible, using RealChutes drags and dumping all oxidizer and monopropellant. Most of the liquid fuel is dumped also with a tiny bit saved up just in case I deorbit short and need to clear the mountains west of KSC. I land on the numbers at about 60m/s in a flare, then down goes the nose slowly and the front gear just compresses. I've never killed a crew yet even though every landing is a crash landing.

But I have an even worse problem with the internal airlock dock not releasing now. Worked once yesterday, now I can't undock it anymore. I've tried the saved craft included and also tried rebuilding the whole thing myself with same results.

Yes, I get that they're not synced. I got around that with action groups, but the front gear just has a very weak suspension.

Anyhow, I got around both my problems and my Buran is back on missions FINALLY! Pics below, if you have same problem and want an idea.

Stock wheel gears.. They look nice enough on Buran:

screenshot113.png

Also got around the airlock problem with a stock inline dockport, strutted to the shuttle body and capped with a nice FusTek lighted window like this:

screenshot114.png

Hmm. So the Energia-Buran (Energy-Blizzard) has been done, does anyone know if Bobcat ever planned on doing the Energia-Uragan? (Energy-Hurricane, for those of us, including myself, who can't speak russian.) It looked really cool, but IDK if it would work. I hope it would though. A completely re-useable orbiter, even down to every aspect of the Launch system.

Pics:

Energia-Buran, that we all know and love:

Energia-Buran-LiftOff.jpg

Energia-Uragan, that most people havent heard of:

hstfD.jpg

del54.jpg