[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

your suppose to add an action group for a docking port under the LES with decouple node to remove the LES

This worked, thanks! Attempts to land with the Kliper though were not too successful, but the updated one now discards the LES correctly...

Still stuck on the Buran cargo hold though; and would the docking port actually work with the Buran's own inside the hold, once the other end is attached to the Mir, as it's not from the same Bobcat pack? I tried putting another Soyuz port over the top of Buran's just in case, but it doesn't seem to have any attachments there?

This worked, thanks! Attempts to land with the Kliper though were not too successful, but the updated one now discards the LES correctly...

Still stuck on the Buran cargo hold though; and would the docking port actually work with the Buran's own inside the hold, once the other end is attached to the Mir, as it's not from the same Bobcat pack? I tried putting another Soyuz port over the top of Buran's just in case, but it doesn't seem to have any attachments there?

Buran's docking port acts the same as all 1.25m sized ports.

Also! Whilst waiting for the Buran blueprints, the Kerbals decided to have a go with the Kliper; but oh no! They got all the way to Mir and discovered they couldn't dock. Because they couldn't jettison the LES as there was no option to do so?

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/684845889519687764/0797E5E5FD8B061322AEF01D941017FE0F53AA8A/

I've tried rebuilding it, but been unable to locate why this may be; there's a Soyuz Docking probe underneath as in the construction video, and the LES rockets work at least, but even when empty I can't remove it. I can however decouple the piece above it. Any ideas, or is it a bug?

What part pack are you using there? The parts look pretty nice!

You need to either use action groups, or clip your camera inside the LES and right-click on the docking port, the press "decouple node". That'll ditch the LES.

What part pack are you using there? The parts look pretty nice!

I'm using this one, of course! ;) That's Mir coming in on the far right, and the final stages of the Kliper approaching to dock; The Kliper doesn't have a craft file in the current release, but the video on page one shows how to build it. Just make sure to do what people are suggesting and swap to Action Groups when you place the Soyuz docking port on, and map "Decouple" to a custom key before putting the LES on... then add the LES and set it to decouple too and also fire the engines for an emergency escape system. I mounted it on a Proton rocket from the same pack as I recall, and saved it as a Sub-Assembly to quick launch other payloads.

The only other things visible are Mechjeb windows, and the little ? is for a crew swapping mod which allows you to move them about without having to go for space walks. There is the Lazor system installed, and you'll need it for the Buran arm, but on this flight it didn't have the Lazor modules attached so it's windows aren't visible. I've been testing it ready to try and land on the Space Centre's runway and you can hide those modules under the Kliper and Buran's nose cone...

And here's what it looks like attached to Mir, after a second flight with the correct decouple action groups set, and now acting as a lifeboat for the crew. You'll see there's also a ScanSat icon top left because one of the readers is on attached to Mir too, and the Lazor box on the right as Kliper 2 came with it.

FE0C110F68453EB84F8F01C9DF5A35492EACD0E1

Edited by Titler

Not sure if this has been mentioned before… But is there any particular reason why the part names changed with the 0.22 Sovet Pack Update? This is the first KSP/Mod update that has completely broken my save… I've moved it all the way up from 0.18…

"Mir Core Module" became "Mir_Core_Module" (or something similar)… Why?

I decided to launch the Mir modules again… and found that the .craft files didn't exist…

As a last resort, I figured I'd follow the directions outlined in those handy PDF manuals… But they are nowhere to be found…

Because spaces are Bad News and Shouldn't Be Used for partnames?

(In particular, spaces in partnames break all sorts of things, most importantly ModuleManager)

I figured as much, but why have spaces in the first place, then?

I have the craft file and the pdf's if you would like a copy

Sure, I'd be very grateful if you would send me one :)

Any plans to make the ESA Orion Service module (pictured below). It's pretty much the same as the original one, only with long spindally solar panels.

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/images/ni1401/15mpcvesm_400341.jpg

I just use the 1x6 stock solar panels; I don't have a picture on hand but it looks alright.

If you want to try something else, Near Future Propulsion Pack has some similar looking panels that you could try out, like these ones (though they are not really long enough):

4ZlyKHm.png

I just use the panels from that pack as they fit pretty well with stock aesthetics, but you may want to mess with their stats.

Edited by Yasutaka
Changed image w/ NearFuturePack panels to one with Orion MPCV.

Totally forgot about that.

EDIT:

Looking up Yogui's ATV again, it turns out that while the panels are long and thin like those on the concept of the ESA version of the Orion SM, they are still somewhat different (see here). It comes down to preference, I suppose. :)

If you want to try them yourself, you can download them as part of the European Historical Pack from Lionhead Aerospace.

Edited by Yasutaka

I have a quick question about the Proton rocket. When it was first released, I could've sworn it had more fuel. With it's current fuel, I can barely make a 100km-100km orbit.. That is with all three stages. What should I do to make it like it was first release (I mean with as much fuel as it had)?

Danke,

Nicolas

I have a quick question about the Proton rocket. When it was first released, I could've sworn it had more fuel. With it's current fuel, I can barely make a 100km-100km orbit.. That is with all three stages. What should I do to make it like it was first release (I mean with as much fuel as it had)?

Danke,

Nicolas

What's your payload? Bobcat made Proton 64% everything, including payload capability. If I'm remembering what he said correctly, which may or may not be still here on this thread depending on when he said it.

What's your payload? Bobcat made Proton 64% everything, including payload capability. If I'm remembering what he said correctly, which may or may not be still here on this thread depending on when he said it.

I am launching a Block D made by Bobcat, the Luna 17 thing made by MrTheBull, and the Lunokhod made by bobcat. And the stock 2m decoupler between the Luna 17 and Block D.

I am launching a Block D made by Bobcat, the Luna 17 thing made by MrTheBull, and the Lunokhod made by bobcat. And the stock 2m decoupler between the Luna 17 and Block D.

why are you shooting for 100x100? Try 80x80, or 75x75. If you're going somewhere else, start lower so your rocket doesn't have to do too much to get you into an orbit. Same thing with Apollo program.

why are you shooting for 100x100? Try 80x80, or 75x75. If you're going somewhere else, start lower so your rocket doesn't have to do too much to get you into an orbit. Same thing with Apollo program.

I am trying for the Mün, so you recommend 80x80?