International construction ISS in Kerbal orbit.

BobCat

@Yogui87

I laughed at the EF/ELM-ES covered in RCS thrusters. :)

Here's an idea, using the PM-EF connection as an example:

T2OoHGp.png

Use a two docking port attachment design. This will allow for [semi-]automatic orientation and realistic modularity. To prevent misalignment by docking to the wrong port, make the main attachment point use full-size docking nodes, while making the secondary point use small (probe-size) docking nodes.

Of course, you will not want the secondary ports to be visible, and thus breaking realism. Instead I would suggest having the part(s) look like innocuous aesthetic bits of each module, then have the docking nodes "floating" just off the surface of the part, so that they are "touching" in the space exactly halfway between the modules. I would make them visible so we don't have invisible parts in the VAB... though I suppose an invisible, docking port could have it's uses for some people.

The same method could of course be used with the EF-(ELM-ES) connection.

EDIT: Just a little nitpick: could you try to match the color of your windows to that of BobCat's... just to have everything look the same. :blush: Sorry...

Edited by Yasutaka
nitpicking

@Yogui87

I laughed at the EF/ELM-ES covered in RCS thrusters. :)

Here's an idea, using the PM-EF connection as an example:

Use a two docking port attachment design. This will allow for [semi-]automatic orientation and realistic modularity. To prevent misalignment by docking to the wrong port, make the main attachment point use full-size docking nodes, while making the secondary point use small (probe-size) docking nodes.

Of course, you will not want the secondary ports to be visible, and thus breaking realism. Instead I would suggest having the part(s) look like innocuous aesthetic bits of each module, then have the docking nodes "floating" just off the surface of the part, so that they are "touching" in the space exactly halfway between the modules. I would make them visible so we don't have invisible parts in the VAB... though I suppose an invisible, docking port could have it's uses for some people.

The same method could of course be used with the EF-(ELM-ES) connection.

EDIT: Just a little nitpick: could you try to match the color of your windows to that of BobCat's... just to have everything look the same. :blush: Sorry...

Nice idea, I don't know if it's possible to dock 2 nodes at the same time. If it's possible may it's the solution I need. The bad thing is this would add 6 docking nodes (2x2 to attach PM with ELM-ES and 2x1 for PM and ELM-PS).

It's not impossible to dock 2 parts with the same inclination ^^ It's very annoying, but not impossible :P I personally want the full animation you showed in the video :)

I need to dock exactly with the same incliantion, a difference of 1-2° would be awful when you'll play the animation.

Edited by Yogui87

I need to dock exactly with the same incliantion, a difference of 1-2° would be awful when you'll play the animation.

It's still not impossible. Quite hard, but not impossible. If you put your station the good way, it's easier to dock perfectly aligned. Anyway, make it the best way you can. It still is an amazing work :)

It's still not impossible. Quite hard, but not impossible. If you put your station the good way, it's easier to dock perfectly aligned. Anyway, make it the best way you can. It still is an amazing work :)
The ORDA always perform autodock with 100% precision, so if everything else fails one can just use this mod.

The problem is that JEM have to be docked using the shuttle arm. I don't know if it's possible too be so precise or use ORDA .

It is possible to have two nodes docked at the same time. At least it seems that's what happening when I try it. It could be that only one node is actually docked and the secondary node is just pulling everything into alignment when it is approaching. But I have docked crafts with multiple nodes that match up.

The problem is that JEM have to be docked using the shuttle arm. I don't know if it's possible too be so precise or use ORDA .

Perhaps if you can get in contact with Romfarer, he may be busy now that he is a dev, and if he is still planning to partake in this project, he can reprogram the workings of the robotic arms. Instead of controlling each pivot individually, as it is in the current robotic arms pack, have controls that are designed to carry out motions relative to the grappled object, i.e. moving it in, out, left, right. Have the programming figure out how much each pivot has to move in order to carry out the desired function, instead of the user. I am aware this would require more complex programming, but it would make assembly more precise, and make it less frustrating for the user.

Nice idea, I don't know if it's possible to dock 2 nodes at the same time. If it's possible may it's the solution I need. The bad thing is this would add 6 docking nodes (2x2 to attach PM with ELM-ES and 2x1 for PM and ELM-PS).

It is definitely possible to dock with multiple nodes simultaneously. One of my favorite designs used two arrays of seven probe-size docking ports each to force alignment and form a very solid link between modules.

I did consider the additional parts, but I think this solution is preferable to the alternatives. Were it me (and were I a skilled modder), I would use this method, and possibly include an alternate version using your method 1, for those who's computers were struggling with the extra part count. They would, of course, have to use an alternate launch method, as I'm pretty sure the pre-assembled PM/EF/ELM-ES won't fit in the STS's or the Buran's cargo bays.

@sciencepanda

Procedural animation like you are suggesting would be awesome, but is dramatically more complicated than the existing method used by the Robotic Arms Pack, and would constitue a major update for the mod. I know that Romfarer want's to do right by the fans of his mods, but seeing as he is now working for Squad, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the time to start a new project like that.

Edited by Yasutaka
syntax

as I'm pretty sure the pre-assembled PM/EF/ELM-ES won't fit in the STS's or the Buran's cargo bays.

Remind me again, were they all launched at the same time?

EDIT: Not gonna double post, so here's a sketch I found on Pirs to help us make it!

N6aoYhK.gif

EDIT EDIT: Even more information, DIRECTLY from the manufacturer Energia. http://www.energia.ru/ru/iss/rs/pirs.html It's in russian, but to make it english, simply google the link, and hit translate this page.

Edited by WCOLE360

Remind me again, were they all launched at the same time?

According to the wikipedia page it was launched on three separate flights:

-The ELM-PS came first, and was docked, temporarily to the Harmony node.

-The larger PM was attached second, and the ELM-PS moved to it's current location "atop" the PM.

-The EF and ELM-ES were launched together, with the ELM-ES apparently being brought back to Earth on the same shuttle flight.

Netris

Yea. Zero gravity oposite direction rotation...Every Truss component have 5t mass

Work too slow and now im start working other components ISS.

Devo

what size Node1 ?

make blender quad view model pls. Im making CBM and Destiny

Edited by BobCat

In KSP, that would make a lot of sense, actually. A Saturn V first stage is a mighty fine lifter on it's own, especially it it'd be made in a "standard" diameter, allowing other mod parts to be bolted on. What is already done of ISS would already make a really neat station.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.