[1.12.x] Kerbal Alarm Clock v3.13.0.0 (April 10)

TriggerAu

Is it possible to reduce the spam written to the log? Alarm Clock writes a bunch of messages like "parsing bool", "parsing int", etc. when reading the config. Similar for "loading" textures (AFAIK the textures are already loaded during game startup, Alarm Clock only obtains pointers from GameDatabase class when it writes that).

Those messages not only make the log less readable, they might also hit performance, writing to log is a quite expensive operation. So could you remove the messages that don't have much significance in debugging, please?

P.S. The time at the beginning of messages is also quite redundant. KSP already prepends it (without date).

[LOG 22:58:55.467] 1/6/2014 10:58:55 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Awakening the KerbalAlarmClock-KACSpaceCenter

I was worried about that parsing thing a while ago, but there is no write to the log with that text in my code - I just searched again in case I missed it :). I figured it was unrelated to the KAC, but thinking about it maybe its KSPs pluginConfiguration.GetValue API that is writing that when used. I cant change that unfortunately.

For the textures it only changed back to pointers in the last version, and it looks like I left a debug in there when I changed the loading method. Easy fix.

For the time entry - Is needed in the debug log (which is where debug writes) so when people have errors I can help out and see the sequence/timing, unfortunately KSP writes debug messages to both logs which is a bit annoying, but I try to ensure as little debug entries as I go.

That said, I probably wont release a fix to this code base unless people are having big issues. I am part way through writing a skeleton framework to improve performance and code for both KAC and ARP, which uses a different method to store the settings and a cleaner folder structure. If you can live with it for a while I will get through the coding as quickly as Real Life permits.

Small bug report: For some reason, sometimes the alarm window ends up outside the screen area, not sure why this happens nor if it's even related to KAC (might be something else that makes my mouse shoot out beyond the screen edges when moving the KAC window). However, something small and simple you could do is clamp the window position values to the users screen resolution. Whenever this happens to me I have to go to the config.xml and change the x/y values manually (they're usually in the 10000 range, my resolution is 1920x1080.. :P) in order to get the window back into view.

Small bug report: For some reason, sometimes the alarm window ends up outside the screen area, not sure why this happens nor if it's even related to KAC (might be something else that makes my mouse shoot out beyond the screen edges when moving the KAC window). However, something small and simple you could do is clamp the window position values to the users screen resolution. Whenever this happens to me I have to go to the config.xml and change the x/y values manually (they're usually in the 10000 range, my resolution is 1920x1080.. :P) in order to get the window back into view.

Thanks for the details Nelien, I do have window clamping down on my list for the next release. Is this occuring in the SpaceCenter like for Elan - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24786-0-23-Kerbal-Alarm-Clock-v2-7-0-0-%28December-20%29?p=884772&viewfull=1#post884772

• 2 weeks later...
My setting keep resetting every time I restart KSP. Is there something I can do to prevent them from doing that?

If you can look in the logs you should see entries when the settings save and load and see if there are any errors that are present there, search for KerbalAlarmClock.

Only thing that comes to mind is whether it is installed in windows in the "Program Files" path?

If you can look in the logs you should see entries when the settings save and load and see if there are any errors that are present there, search for KerbalAlarmClock.

Only thing that comes to mind is whether it is installed in windows in the "Program Files" path?

I've got it installed into the gamedata folder like normal. When I next start up KSP I'll watch then. I know I've got some funny business going on with B9 though. That might be affecting it =/

What he meant was "Program Files" is do you have KSP stalled via Steam, or in a directory like "c:\Program Files (x86)\Squad\KSP" or "c:\Program Files\KSP" or "c:\Games\KSP 0.23.0".

If you have the game installed in "c:\Program Files" or "c:\Program Files x86" you may be running into Windows blocking access to write the configuration file. If you copy the KSP directory, say, to your root C:\ directory, then run, see if you have the same problem

Ah, it's saved in a folder directly from the desktop (easier access then using steam to start the program)

There might still be an access issue if it's installed on the desktop, as that is really C:\Users\***USERNAME***\Desktop or C:\Users\Default\Desktop and sometimes those have limited access rights.

Generally the desktop is not a good place to install software. If you want to have access to it from the desktop, install it somewhere else (not program files as mentioned) but another folder, or even better, another drive, mine is in E:\Games\KSP_win, and be sure the access permissions are set to allow read & write. You can do this by right-clicking the folder and selecting properties, then go to security and be sure those permissions are allowed. You may have to have admin access on the computer in order to do that, but if it's on a drive that isn't the boot drive, usually those permissions are set when you initialize the drive.

Then, once you have that set, right click and drag the folder that contains KSP to the desktop and drop, then select "Create shortcut here" and you'll have desktop access to the folder without having the hassle of having the game actually installed on the desktop.

If you're running the steam version, then not sure what you can do with that, I think Steam will allow you to move the install folder to a location you want.

Just in case I forgot to post after installing... I absolutely love this plugin! Indispensable for any multi-mission space program, IMO. Should be stock. You rock, Trigger :)

That said... I can't get it to work a lot of the time. When adding an alarm and subsequently switching to another ship in map mode or back to space center, sometimes the alarm isn't there when the KAC window is opened again. This mostly affects ships in interplanetary space, and is more prevalent if there are a few in the list already. Trying multiple times doesn't help, either it saves alarms of a craft or it doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: it's the latest version, but the problem was there in 0.22 as well.

Edited by Ravenchant

The mod is very useful, thank you!

Yet recently I've encountered a problem that forced me to temporarily uninstall it: sporadically when a node alarm triggers (the game is paused and a message is shown) and I push 'delete alarm and continue' button, my ship instantly jumps to the point in orbit where the alarm was created, but stays in it's timeframe (i.e. all other vessels remain where they were before such jump). Alarms I'm talking about are created automatically, and the ship is already in focus before an alarm triggers.

This bug is a killer to any rendezvous.

I'm running KSP v0.23 in career mod.

Other installed mods:

CP_Airbags.zip
VTOL-AutoEngine1.zip
AOTF1.1.zip
Haystack_0.0.2.0.zip
TTMK3cockpitinternal-v1.2.zip
Simple-Part-Organizer-v0.250.zip
SubassemblyManager_v0-1-3.zip
TTVectorEngine-v0.2.0.zip
DockingStrut.zip
EditorExtensions_v0.6.zip
VASIMR-ENGINE-v1.zip
Squad-Texture-Pack-0.1c.zip
uploads_2013_10_ionenginesounds22.zip
kOS_0_9_2.zip
CleverBobCat-1.3.0.0.zip
DockingPortAlignment_3.01.zip
KAS_v0.4.5.zip
KerbalAlarmClock_2.7.0.0.zip
MechJeb2-2.1.1.01.zip
ProcFairings_2.4.3.zip
RemoteTech2_Release_1.3.3.zip
Romfarer_LazorDockingCam_v32b.zip
SH-MK2Cockpit.zip
TacLifeSupport_0.8.0.4.zip
FerramAerospaceResearch_v0.12.5.2.zip
RcsSoundsV2.0.zip

There might still be an access issue if it's installed on the desktop, as that is really C:\Users\***USERNAME***\Desktop or C:\Users\Default\Desktop and sometimes those have limited access rights.

Generally the desktop is not a good place to install software. If you want to have access to it from the desktop, install it somewhere else (not program files as mentioned) but another folder, or even better, another drive, mine is in E:\Games\KSP_win, and be sure the access permissions are set to allow read & write. You can do this by right-clicking the folder and selecting properties, then go to security and be sure those permissions are allowed. You may have to have admin access on the computer in order to do that, but if it's on a drive that isn't the boot drive, usually those permissions are set when you initialize the drive.

Then, once you have that set, right click and drag the folder that contains KSP to the desktop and drop, then select "Create shortcut here" and you'll have desktop access to the folder without having the hassle of having the game actually installed on the desktop.

If you're running the steam version, then not sure what you can do with that, I think Steam will allow you to move the install folder to a location you want.

I actually have the game from Steam. There's no actual difference between the Steam distro and Squad's distro, just that Steam will install it in a specific place.

Just in case I forgot to post after installing... I absolutely love this plugin! Indispensable for any multi-mission space program, IMO. Should be stock. You rock, Trigger :)

That said... I can't get it to work a lot of the time. When adding an alarm and subsequently switching to another ship in map mode or back to space center, sometimes the alarm isn't there when the KAC window is opened again. This mostly affects ships in interplanetary space, and is more prevalent if there are a few in the list already. Trying multiple times doesn't help, either it saves alarms of a craft or it doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: it's the latest version, but the problem was there in 0.22 as well.

The mod is very useful, thank you!

Yet recently I've encountered a problem that forced me to temporarily uninstall it: sporadically when a node alarm triggers (the game is paused and a message is shown) and I push 'delete alarm and continue' button, my ship instantly jumps to the point in orbit where the alarm was created, but stays in it's timeframe (i.e. all other vessels remain where they were before such jump). Alarms I'm talking about are created automatically, and the ship is already in focus before an alarm triggers.

This bug is a killer to any rendezvous.

I'm running KSP v0.23 in career mod.

Other installed mods:...

Glad you like it, not so glad you are having issues :) Well both of these dont sound like fun at all, probably best thing to do - if your OK with it - is to pastebin your debug log and I can see if there are any KAC specific things in there. I've really been focusing on getting a solid code base for the rewrite I'm underway with, but if I can help out I'll give it a go.

I actually have the game from Steam. There's no actual difference between the Steam distro and Squad's distro, just that Steam will install it in a specific place.

I have my Steam install in "C:\Games" so its not in program files, or Users. That said, the plugin does log some useful error info.

I have my Steam install in "C:\Games" so its not in program files, or Users. That said, the plugin does log some useful error info.

I've got my Steam set to install on my F:\ drive (dedicated drive for Steam and games bought on Steam)

I've got my Steam set to install on my F:\ drive (dedicated drive for Steam and games bought on Steam)

You mentioned you had it on the desktop, is it actually there or in your F:\ steam folder? If you've told steam to install in on the desktop, then I think the same problems may still apply, there are access restrictions on files in the users folder. Still the same advice, though, put it back in your F:\ steam folder and create a shortcut to that folder on the desktop for quick access.

You mentioned you had it on the desktop, is it actually there or in your F:\ steam folder? If you've told steam to install in on the desktop, then I think the same problems may still apply, there are access restrictions on files in the users folder. Still the same advice, though, put it back in your F:\ steam folder and create a shortcut to that folder on the desktop for quick access.

I use steam as the distro for my KSP install, but then I copy that install folder over to the desktop location and run KSP off the .exe inside the install, therefore negating the need to use steam to run KSP. Steam can only install where Steam is located. Steam's not on my desktop so it can't install there.

I use steam as the distro for my KSP install, but then I copy that install folder over to the desktop location and run KSP off the .exe inside the install, therefore negating the need to use steam to run KSP. Steam can only install where Steam is located. Steam's not on my desktop so it can't install there.

You don't have to copy the game folder. You can just put a shortcut to the exectuable on your desktop. KSP will run just fine without Steam running.

You don't have to copy the game folder. You can just put a shortcut to the exectuable on your desktop. KSP will run just fine without Steam running.

Not when you're running 5 different modded versions and one stock version.

Ah I see. I still wouldn't copy directly to the desktop, though, but to separate folders on your games drive, then use shortcuts to them, as I mentioned. I'm from the old school where NOTHING goes on the desktop except shortcuts, from back in the day when that's all you could have there, old habits die hard, lol. And that might not even be the source of the trouble you're having, it was just my guess.

Edited by Dweller_Benthos

Jivaii, you can clutter up your PC all you want, these gentlemen simply advise you not to. :wink:

It makes sense, as it always makes sense to put "valuable" data - and even games are valuable if you count the time it would need to redownload/install them again, not to forget the savefiles - somewhere safe. Safe from suddenly necessary reinstallations of the operating system, safe from hasty mark-delete actions on an overly full desktop, accidentally hitting DEL ... so, somewhere else then directly onto the desktop and therefore on C: :)

If you need different copies of KSP for modding etc., then please do so, but maybe copy them to your games folder and place a link to the launch file onto your desktop. Should you need help with that, then I am sure anyone here will help you out - just not me, because I wouldnt know the english menu items, tut mir leid. :)

Bug (?) report, possibly reported earlier.

A weird bug has been haunting me where entering/exiting a pod would freeze the game for about 10 seconds. Last night I finally narrowed the suspect list down to this mod. It seems that whenever the mod checks for updates online while I don't have an internet connection, it does this. I disabled auto-check in the CFG, set the last successful check date to today, still freezes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.