Boat Parts ~~~0.90~~~ R4.65~~~

InfiniteDice

Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?

Updated to 0.90.

Notes:

Removed the enlarged hangar code, if you're building large get Snjo's Hangar Extender.

Did a few tests - everything else seems to be working but if you notice anything let me know.

I'll likely make a construction video as I haven't made a video in ages and I've had more than a few requests.

I have a question and for the love of everything please forgive me if its just my incompatency but how do i build a aircraft carrier? cause the ones i make just flop about like a wet noodle

Better question Why does this thing lag my game to the point where it forces my computer to restart?

Disregard, My computer was just throwing a hissy fit over a bunch of stupid updates that my computer was tried to do at the same time

Edited by KazeNinja
Mod Incompatibility

ok and also I did realize a small bug in which aircraft landing/taking off on the carrier might fall into a "pothole" of sorts and causes immediate shredderation. What can be done to prevent this? also I figured out the carrier building.

• 3 weeks later...
I have this same issue...Was anything determined to be the cause, or fix?... :)

This is likely a mod conflict. I have seen it happen once or twice but haven't been able to reproduce.

- - - Updated - - -

ok and also I did realize a small bug in which aircraft landing/taking off on the carrier might fall into a "pothole" of sorts and causes immediate shredderation. What can be done to prevent this? also I figured out the carrier building.

This goes back to your wet noodle issue. The carrier needs to be built a certain way for ideal strength. I'll try to get that video together.

@KazeNinja

Why don't you put structural panels over those "Potholes". It may look ugly, but would you rather have an ugly (But maybe a bit stronger, since if it gets hit, the panel will take the attack, giving the hull another hit) carrier, or loose an aircraft that you worked hard to land be destroyed by the dreaded shredder glitch? Or you could either wait for it to be fixed or fix it yourself. Your call man.

Also, you can use the carriers already provided, the grasshopper or the narwhal.

It is there. It only shows up once you launch it.

But I was able to make a version of the grasshopper that has B9's large structural panels covering the hole. I went over it, and it was not exactly a hole. I think you had some sort of issue matching up the texture with the mesh of the model, or something like that

Here's the temporarily fixed version of the grasshopper carrier. (requires B9)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sftytigteg8amyq/R4_5%20Grasshopper%20Mk2%20Rev2%20Fixed.zip?dl=0

Edited by Raptor22

• 2 weeks later...
How does the 0.90 update play with Better Buoyancy? My time constraints mean KSP is strictly vicarious at the moment!

I wouldn't use better buoyancy... it's not better than boatparts buoyancy from what I can see... Boatparts also has code to mimic fluid dynamics for the ship so it self corrects and behaves like a boat. Better buoyancy from what I seen doesn't do that. To the original question though I'm not sure how it would behave, my guess is it wouldn't be good.

I wouldn't use better buoyancy... it's not better than boatparts buoyancy from what I can see... Boatparts also has code to mimic fluid dynamics for the ship so it self corrects and behaves like a boat. Better buoyancy from what I seen doesn't do that. To the original question though I'm not sure how it would behave, my guess is it wouldn't be good.

I'm thinking of the non-boat parts - BB comes in handy if you blow a landing and ditch in the ocean. Hopefully they'll try to fix water a bit for 1.0.

Every time I launch my carrier from the SPH, the control towerw breaks off in the water "due to aerodynamic stresses."

That's almost certainly FAR doing that, right? Turn off aerodynamic stress breakup on launch, then turn it on again. KerbinSide has water launch sites, they may work better for launching big ships. It didn't play well with the 0.25 Boat Parts, but don't know about 0.90.

My carriers are launching but the engines and rudders I put on the bottom break off, if of course the thing doesn't just rip itself apart upon water insertion

Was FAR's aerodynamic failures killed the beast... :0

• 2 weeks later...
Swim mode sucks :P the button to toggle swim/walk mode should be improved, and also need more carriers :P

It's the best solution so far... yes it's clunky I may revise how it works though, sometimes the kerbal needs to sink all the way to the bottom to unfreeze and be able to swim or walk.

Swim mode sucks :P the button to toggle swim/walk mode should be improved, and also need more carriers :P

I've gone ahead and rebuilt the code around swimming/walking. Now it's much better! I'll release a video showing what it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Carrier capsizes every time on launch =/

Try lowering the launch to water altitude by 1 or 2 metres.

- - - Updated - - -

When I try and build a sub,I can't crew it...

If you mean the mini-sub: these have kerbal seats, so you can't crew a kerbal seat from launch. You need to make the mini-sub part of a larger craft then crew it in the game. If you mean the larger sub, you can add bunk beds to that and fill those.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking of the non-boat parts - BB comes in handy if you blow a landing and ditch in the ocean. Hopefully they'll try to fix water a bit for 1.0.

I think boatparts allows for the cockpits to float, if the rest of the plane is intact, it's likely heavy things like the engines will drag the whole aircraft down.... another reason you want boatparts is you can get out underwater and swim around, I've updated the code so I'll likely release the updated dll as a separate download.

• 2 weeks later...

Lag almost certainly destroys boats at launch. The update in which squad 'fixed' the wobbly joint issue actually made things fall apart worse, because carrier parts are really heavy the effect is exponential. I'll see how things go with ksp 1.0.