Boat Parts ~~~0.90~~~ R4.65~~~

InfiniteDice

Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?

After making some quick adjustments to the shark to make it FAR compatible, I landed three of those birds on the Narwhal. I played around with the lift and reverse thrust and parked one plane on the lower deck. Great mod so far. But since this is Kerbal Space Program, you would not be satisfied with landing something as little as the shark, would you. So I decided it was time for something bigger.

I then loaded up the Haldeman from the B9 pack, quickly added a hook and proceeded with what I am best at in this game: killing kerbals.

About 20 lost souls later and having failed in many different ways (including crashing into the rear of the ship, scattering debris all over the deck with only the cockpit surviving, crashing into parked planes, taking a 'swim' in the ocean, involuntarily buzzing the tower a bit too closely) it was finally Jeb's turn.

Needless to say, he nailed it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

After this attempt, I made some more of less perfect landings with the hook still not catching and thus having to do a touch-and-go. Where and how precise does the hook have to be placed?

This was my quick and dirty setup and it didnt work multiple times.

JqOycKl.jpg

Edited by bimbo0099

sorry if im just being blind, but where did all the boat parts go? like not the carrier parts, the small boat parts? i haven noticed there not in this version.

Correct, some of the older parts made it in, but I simply didn't have the time to get the vintage R1 parts in. I'll be pulling some out of the dusty drawer in the future, as well as a few new parts that can be used with carriers, or to make other forms of ships.

Where and how precise does the hook have to be placed?

This was my quick and dirty setup and it didnt work multiple times.

It has a wider range than what would be visually possible. Remember to keep in mind that detection distance to the arrestor cable is from the center of the cable... so if you are too high and too far to one side you'll miss it every time. Positioning the hook as low as possible would make catching it easier, but not by much. I'd say concentrate on making it as close to the center of the arrestor as possible.

Thanks for the clarification. I might have had some deviation to the sides :-)

Any chance for tweakable parameters on the arrestor, preferably via context menu but externalizing it to the cfg would be just fine?

Had an idea and started to test, I'm still working out a few kinks but I thought I'd share.

You can land larger planes on the Narwhal by adding and additional arrestor line....but what about take off? I can imagine that making a catapult system like what is used by real carriers would be a nightmare in KSP. So what's the next best think that would be manageable?

My conclusion.....JTOL Boosters!!!!

So here is the test. I made a copy of the stock SeperatronI, renamed it JTOL, and changed max thrust from 18 to 22 in the config file. Next I added the 'grab/attach' config modules used by KAS to the JTOL.

This is the test refit car:

czRcTRA.png

Jeb grabbing a JTOL to fit a Shark NV1:

Ym4mLAa.png

JTOL in place and ready to launch:

h6cf0nL.png

When a plane re-lands on the carrier the empty JTOL's can be reattached to the panels, when all the JTOLs are used the refit car can be pushed overboard and used for torpedo practice.

Got my fingers crossed the refitting a plane with torps and freefalls may work in the same manner, though the grab/attach modules seem to just plain not work in some parts.

Excellent Khaos! I was thinking of this kinda thing for something slightly different but that seems very useful for aircraft that have poor takeoff capabilities! :)

On another note, NEW VIDEO!!! :) You'll need to wait till tomorrow for Pt.2

Well, I decided the remade speratrons were not good enough. So I am going to make a proper RATO system.

Its gonna take awhile though as I'm teaching myself how to mod as I make em.

That having been said the sepmotor version work, I got the K-17 (from firespitter) in the air just over the carrier mark, a double pack and it could have gotten off the Narwhal no problem.

anyone know how big a seperatron is =P

Edited by KhaosCorp

I've been trying for some time now to mount a few KAS winches in the Narwhal's lift bays, but with little success. Is there some sort of trick to this that I'm missing?

Hey, KAS winches need a node connection. Use one of the vanilla 1x1 or 2x2 structural panels to the carrier and then attach the winch to that panel.

Hey, KAS winches need a node connection. Use one of the vanilla 1x1 or 2x2 structural panels to the carrier and then attach the winch to that panel.

I saw nodes on the ceilings of the lift bays and assumed they were for the winches. That's not the case?

Edited by Maikie_G

I saw nodes on the ceilings of the lift bays and assumed they were for the winches. That's not the case?

They can be used for that yes. Make sure you have the proper orientation with the winch, you need to rotate it. Then try to look at it from the side when you attach it. If that node doesn't want to connect, use the method I mentioned earlier.