[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Yeah. There was an idea to use the S-IC as a first stage for the Shuttle, effectively eliminating the SRBs, with the Shuttle somehow crossfeeding from it apparrently. I have no idea how in the **** that would work though, as the S-IC is powered by F-1s, which run on Kerolox, not the Hydrolox of the RS-25D SSMEs.

If you look at the second link, the top section looks it is the fuel tank for the shuttle, while the bottom section is cut off from the top. I believe the bottom is detached at a predetermined altitude and the top tank carries on with the shuttle. There's a clear line that shows the separation point.

Edit: Just found this website after I posted.

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/satuttle.htm

It's called the Satuttle, or Saturn Shuttle. I was right about the top part being the Shuttle Tank. The main rocket is made of two tanks, the bottom being LOX/Kerosene, the top being LOX/LH2

Edited by GoldForest

The game crashed when I tried to place a mercury capsule. Help?

You are running out of memory. Try lowering in game textures to 1/2, deleting unnecessary parts, downloading texturereplacer, downloading active memory reduction.

You might have conflicting parts or plugins.

Ok. Here's my add-ons:

B9 Aerospace

Quantum Struts

Anvil Rockets (CORE_ANVIL_170)

Exsurgent Engineering

FASA (This mod)

Firespitter Planes

Gerdin Montaplex Rescue Capsule

Hooligan Labs Airships

Hyomoto?? (Something to do with RasterPropMonitor)

JSI (More obviously rasterpropmonitor)

Kerbal Attachment System

Hyperedit

Kethane

Kinetechanmation

Klockeed_Martian

Kosmos

Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter

KW Rocketry

Mechjeb2

Resgen

Romfarer's Mods

SCANsatRPM

TiberDyne Shuttle

zCraftFiles

Ok. Here's my add-ons:

B9 Aerospace

Quantum Struts

Anvil Rockets (CORE_ANVIL_170)

Exsurgent Engineering

FASA (This mod)

Firespitter Planes

Gerdin Montaplex Rescue Capsule

Hooligan Labs Airships

Hyomoto?? (Something to do with RasterPropMonitor)

JSI (More obviously rasterpropmonitor)

Kerbal Attachment System

Hyperedit

Kethane

Kinetechanmation

Klockeed_Martian

Kosmos

Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter

KW Rocketry

Mechjeb2

Resgen

Romfarer's Mods

SCANsatRPM

TiberDyne Shuttle

zCraftFiles

With all those mods, there's bairly any ram left! That's your problem! B9 alone takes up most of the memory! You're hitting the 3.5 limit marker easily! Take off some of those mods if you want to stop crashing.

Back up all your mods to a location outside of the KSP directory.

Delete all of your mods, except squad

Start with FASA and re copy your mods one by one seeing if the game still crashes.

When it does crash, copy the end of your ksp log file and post it here.

JSI

MechJep2RPM

SCANsatRPM

these are also in FASA as well as part of Raster Prop monitor.

Edited by frizzank

Have you ever considered making the extra launch clamp that falls away for the redstone? I don't know exactly what its called but it looks like it just falls off right before launch releasing the rocket. The launch clamp now is very accurate and I know its very nit picky. So I am just asking if you ever considered making it. It would just make it that more accurate.

If you look at the second link, the top section looks it is the fuel tank for the shuttle, while the bottom section is cut off from the top. I believe the bottom is detached at a predetermined altitude and the top tank carries on with the shuttle. There's a clear line that shows the separation point.

Edit: Just found this website after I posted.

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/satuttle.htm

It's called the Satuttle, or Saturn Shuttle. I was right about the top part being the Shuttle Tank. The main rocket is made of two tanks, the bottom being LOX/Kerosene, the top being LOX/LH2

Yes, I know that. I had HEARD that the plan was to crossfeed fuel to the SSMEs from the S-IC before it burnt out and separated from the ET and Orbiter. I know that won't work, which is why I find it a funny and stupid thing that it was thought up in the first place, but still, my point remais. AFAIK, the S-IC's F-1s and the SSMEs were to fire at the same time for stabilization, and have the ET separate from the S-IC full, as the SSMEs were supposed to be using fuel from the S-IC before separation, effectively removing the boosters, if it was even possible, which it isn't.

/Off topic

Woo! FASA is awesome! ^_^

Actually, if the S-1C was modified to include an LH2 tank and a larger LOX tank, you could crossfeed SSMEs from it. That probably would've worked, and would have eliminated the solids, which were rather problematic due to the impossibility of aborting with them on.

Actually, if the S-1C was modified to include an LH2 tank and a larger LOX tank, you could crossfeed SSMEs from it. That probably would've worked, and would have eliminated the solids, which were rather problematic due to the impossibility of aborting with them on.

If it was up to me, the SRBs would have an abort sequence. Small charges inside the nozzle, so when they blew, it cut the burn off. That or I would put bigger separators on it. I would also make the cabin eject able, like the whole cabin just flies off the cargo bay.

They considered an ejection pod, found that it wouldn't work. Blowing the SRB throat is an option, but I doubt it'd help a lot when stuff like Challenger disaster happened. It also doesn't completely cut thrust off. An all-liquid booster like Energia or Satuttle (or even that Shuttle with kerolox LRBs concept) wouldn't have such problems.

Blowing holes in the sides and ends of the SRBs HAS been proven to work. Most of the Titan III boosters had that setup from when they were planning the MOL program. They just decided not to retool the production lines after MOL was cancelled.

Challenger happened because of the manufacture dropping the section of the srb tank and denting it. That and the cold weather made the damage worse. That's why NASA never went back to separate segmented SRBs. They didn't want that accident to happen again, so from then on it was one piece srbs all around.

Anyway, I wish they would release .24 so Frizzank could get back to work on the Saturn V! I really really really want to play with it! Jeb is so anxious!

Challenger happened because of the manufacture dropping the section of the srb tank and denting it. That and the cold weather made the damage worse. That's why NASA never went back to separate segmented SRBs. They didn't want that accident to happen again, so from then on it was one piece srbs all around.

Not true, SSRBs, and ATK's RSRM line, were always segmented. ASRBs (IIRC) had much less segments, but were never used (though they might be for SLS), and SRMUs were shipped in just 3 segments, but having a single-segment booster of that size would be a handling nightmare.

Anyway, liquid rockets fail in much more benign ways than SRBs. Liquid engines can be cut off, you can have multiple engines feeding from one tank (meaning engine-out capability is possible) and many of them can be re-started if needed.

Why does .24 have to come out?

.24 is going to have physics and joint fixes I need to make it playable.

The Saturn V rocket is so large and heavy that it rips itself apart without a metric ton of struts. The S1B is half the size and already needs struts on its engines to keep it from sliding off.

Well, that, and it'll have the SLS. You'd probably want to have Saturn V match up with those parts (and NovaPunch too, now that I think of it).

.24 is going to have physics and joint fixes I need to make it playable.

The Saturn V rocket is so large and heavy that it rips itself apart without a metric ton of struts. The S1B is half the size and already needs struts on its engines to keep it from sliding off.

Ahhh! ok well they better hurry up with .24 then. How does Lovad do it then? His Saturn V was amazing. I chose FASA because all the ships are amazing. But Lovads Saturn 5 was really stable but it didn't have a LEM. I launched your LEM and put your CM docking port on top his Command Module flew a full Apollo mission beautifully. But the more mods I added I had to get rid of it to keep using FASA. But his Saturn V worked excellent. It didn't even wobble.

Not true, SSRBs, and ATK's RSRM line, were always segmented. ASRBs (IIRC) had much less segments, but were never used (though they might be for SLS), and SRMUs were shipped in just 3 segments, but having a single-segment booster of that size would be a handling nightmare.

Anyway, liquid rockets fail in much more benign ways than SRBs. Liquid engines can be cut off, you can have multiple engines feeding from one tank (meaning engine-out capability is possible) and many of them can be re-started if needed.

The SRBs used on the Challenger were separate segments held together by O-rings, which were never tested. One of the one rings was faulty. The O-ring was not completely sealed, that's where the smoke in the videos can be seen. Not only the faulty O-ring, but the SRBs(no matter who made them) are known to have problems in cold weather. The investigations turned up the O-ring results. The usual SRBs are segmented, yes, but they are not different parts of the SRBs, they are contained in one long tube.

Zlacze_miedzysegmentowe_rakiety_SRB_promu_kosmicznego.jpg

That's an image of the SRBs Challenger was using. You can clearly see each segment is a separate part.

I know how it looked, how it worked and why it failed. And I also know what was done to prevent future failures like this, and de-segmenting Shuttle boosters wasn't one of those changes. Titan IV ones, however, got changed in part due to this and another, similar failure on a Titan IVA.

Case in a point: http://www.pbase.com/image/99632172

The SRB tail segment. It's clearly separated from the rest of the tube. Post-Challenger SRBs are very similar to cold weather rated SRBs they wanted to use at Vandenberg (which is a bit colder than Florida). Those were still segmented, but much better protected against leaks, and had double o-rings (IIRC, they were also made of different materials).

The SRBs used on the Challenger were separate segments held together by O-rings, which were never tested. One of the one rings was faulty. The O-ring was not completely sealed, that's where the smoke in the videos can be seen. Not only the faulty O-ring, but the SRBs(no matter who made them) are known to have problems in cold weather. The investigations turned up the O-ring results. The usual SRBs are segmented, yes, but they are not different parts of the SRBs, they are contained in one long tube.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Zlacze_miedzysegmentowe_rakiety_SRB_promu_kosmicznego.jpg

That's an image of the SRBs Challenger was using. You can clearly see each segment is a separate part.

Where are you getting all this? I've never heard of the SRB segment being dropped and dented as contributing to the disaster. I also haven't heard of one of the O-rings having a particular fault (as opposed to the fault being inherent in the design of the O-rings, particularly in cold weather). I also don't think NASA went away from segmented SRBs after Challenger.

The diagram of the Challenger SRB doesn't seem relevant.

The O-rings were not faulty they were just improperly tested for cold weather temperatures. What happened was the ship sat on the launchpad with the o-rings compressed the temp dropped below 32 degrees causing the o-rings to shrink and became incapable of filling the gaps. Simply put the cold caused the o-rings to lose their elasticity. This cause a hole to burn through the srb and then through the external fuel tank like a welder. Causing a catastrophic failure of the entire spacecraft. Because of a hectic schedule that had the ship launching faster than it was supposed to Mission Control chose to ignore the warnings that the o-rings might fail if the temp drop below 32 degrees. So politics and oversight is what caused the challenger disaster.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.