[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

I just browsed 300 pages looking for anything about this, and couldnt find a definitive answer. I just DLthis pack, and when i build the Saturn V using the instructions in the parts descriptions it ends up looking correct, but upon launch, i fail every time, the rocket wiggles and wobbles/breaks at its joints or shortly after lift off, sometimes the engines do not even fire and i just drop... any help on this? am i missing something? orrrrr??

I just browsed 300 pages looking for anything about this, and couldnt find a definitive answer. I just DLthis pack, and when i build the Saturn V using the instructions in the parts descriptions it ends up looking correct, but upon launch, i fail every time, the rocket wiggles and wobbles/breaks at its joints or shortly after lift off, sometimes the engines do not even fire and i just drop... any help on this? am i missing something? orrrrr??

Try on a clean KSP install. Are you using 0.23 or 0.23.5? The Saturn V is meant for use in 0.23.5.

I think it was mentioned before that some would like to be able to transfer Kerbals from the Apollo CM to the LM. I'm sure someone suggested Connected Living Space and Ship Manifest, or something similar, but I don't remember if anyone provided a config file to allow for the transfer. If someone has already provided this capability, then you can just ignore this post, but if not I'm putting a config file for Connected Living Space that allows you to use Ship Manifest to transfer Kerbals between the Apollo CM and LM without EVA.

@PART[FASAApollo_CM_Top]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
passable = true
}
}

@PART[FASAApollo_CM_parachutes]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[FASAApollo_DockingDevice]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[FASALM_DockingCone]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[FASAApollo_CM]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[FASALM_AscentStage]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

Has any one came up with a fix, for Farem Airospace? I am thinking about trying to get RSS to work again, or does the patches for it fix it?

FAR works fine with RSS and FASA. Be sure to install the RedAV8R realism pack for FASA to get the right sizes/masses.

I'd love to see this fairing made available. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been requested, but 300+ pages, ouch.

Do any other mods offer the part? I know some others were working on Skylabs, hopefully to fit the FASA Saturn rockets.

I also need to figure out why my Apollo 9 1B (added the CSM to AS-204) is not reaching orbit...

That I can help with a bit!

I as also trying to recreate that mission, and in researching it I found that the CSM was not fully fueled for that launch. I have calculated and experimented with the fuel load before, a few weeks ago. The mass was reduced such that the CSM could be placed in orbit by the S1B hardware.

Hello and thank you for the mod!

I just returned to KSP after an absence and the FASA mods are something I looked up first. All of the new parts and features since I last played are very impressive. I do however have one issue, the Gemini capsule is extremely unstable when it comes to orbital maneuvering using MechJeb. (I know many will just tell me to do it manual, but that is not the point! :cool:)

Previous versions it was very stable and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or possibly knows a way I can fix it.

Thanks again for the time you take to make these mods!

Yeah, I a having some issues, with the RSS and Realism mod. I have all the patches and every thing else I need but cant seem to get Explore 1 sat into orbit sadly. if any one else uses that mod with FASA pm me with any tips you might have

Yeah, I a having some issues, with the RSS and Realism mod. I have all the patches and every thing else I need but cant seem to get Explore 1 sat into orbit sadly. if any one else uses that mod with FASA pm me with any tips you might have

We have our own very special thread for RO, which includes the realism pack for FASA. For orbit of Explorer probe, you must launch the Juno I to achieve your wanted final perigee, using the 1st stage only, then at apogee fire the 3 stages of mini-Sergeants in order, which if done properly should achieve orbital velocity. FYI, this is just like the real bird did it. Hence why in RSS/RO, you must fly it the same way.

Also if your going for Real Life launches, they were much, much harder to get into orbit with extremely narrow margins for error.

Stock FASA is loads easier than their real life counterparts, I did this to keep it fun and less frustrating for the average player...

Stock FASA is loads easier than their real life counterparts, I did this to keep it fun and less frustrating for the average player...

Which really is the whole point of stock. I found FASA to be amazingly well-balanced -- you did a fantastic job there.

For getting Explorer I into orbit, there's a very simple solution that's not *that* far off of what they did in Real Life. First, accept that you're not gonna get a circular orbit. (This is actually BETTER for science, because the elliptical orbit you're going into is one that will net you geiger counter data for both low- and high-altitude Kerbin orbits, assuming your battery holds out.)

Then, you launch with a fairly efficient gravity turn (I recommend holding vertical to 7.5 km altitude, then turning 5 degrees every 2.5 km increase in altitude until you're either horizontal or reach 70 km altitude, whichever comes first--if you aren't horizontal by 70 km, since you're now out of the atmosphere, turn horizontal immediately) and thrust until you achieve an apoapsis of at *least* 100 km. You'll probably not hit it that exactly, as there's a good chance you'll need to use the first two solid-fuel stages to get Ap. that high, but that's not critical--you just want to make sure it's comfortably outside Kerbin's atmosphere.

At this point, you can, of course, jettison any remaining spent stages, and wait for apoapsis. (This is a good time to get your low-altitude Science data, before the battery is worn down by maneuvering.) Once you're at apoapsis, aim prograde and fire your remaining solid-fuel stages. (For me, this was just the last stage, but if you're better at hand-flying gravity turns, you might also have the Sergeant-3 stage left, too.) Hold your nose prograde until the motor burns out, and congratulations, you should be in an elliptical orbit of roughly 100-200km periapsis and about 1000-2000 km apoapsis!

Remember, you're not going for a pinpoint accurate orbit with it--Explorer I wasn't about nailing a precise orbit to get the best data, it was about getting something--ANYthing--into LEO to try and regain face after Sputnik and the Vanguard launch failure. That it had an apogee that had it fly through the Van Allen belt was merely a bonus; getting it into orbit, ANY orbit, and beeping away to prove it was there, was the real goal of the mission. I'm not sure of the exact trajectory flown, whether they launched it on a direct-insertion trajectory (where you just burn all the way to your final orbit in a single burn) or if they used a mechanical timer to delay firing the last stage or two until predicted apogee, but either is possible, and I personally would have chosen to use the latter; with the known (planned) course at cutoff of the last stage before final orbital insertion, a rather simple inertial, sun-seeking, or horizon-seeking guidance system could have been used to conduct a planned turnaround of the spacecraft immediately after separation, which would then solve the issue of making sure the final motor's delayed burn was in the correct direction, and we already had such simple inertial guidance systems... they were what was used to steer the launch vehicle on its preplanned trajectory, after all. (Simple being a relative term, in that they didn't need to be able to detect any form of acceleration, only detect vessel attitude compared to reference axes--THAT part can be done with a couple of gyroscopes; just about every airplane that's flown since the late 1920s has had that sort of IMU in the form of the Artificial Horizon, which just uses a coffee-and-sandwich-fueled voice-activated electrochemical autopilot to maintain the target attitude. ;) Basic three-axis autopilots that could hold a selected pitch, heading, and bank angle--a.k.a. pitch, yaw, and roll--were commonplace on large aircraft by then, so if all else failed, you could purchase and adapt one of those...)

I just downloaded this mod for the first time today, after watching it for quite some time. I can say without a doubt this is now one of my favorite mods. Looks great, works great and is absolutely fantastic.

Thank you for your hard work on this mod!!!! :D Im interested to know where this project is headed next, is Skylab in the cards? :D

Now back to my Apollo 13 re-creation :D

EDIT: Ive scrolled through a few pages of this thread and I have one question, are the capsules in this mod Deadly re-entry compatable right away? or do I need to add heat-shields in their construction? :) Thanks!

Edited by Rassa Farlander

rdfox: tmikesecrist3's question was directly related to RSS/RO and FASA, of which your technique does not apply.

Whoops! Well, while my specific numbers won't work, the same basic concept should still apply--don't bother trying to get a circular orbit, just try to fly a gravity turn to a comfortably high apoapsis, then use the remaining solid motors prograde at that apoapsis to insert into an elliptical orbit like done with the real one... I'd expect that would still get you into SOME sort of orbit, anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.