[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

I seem to get a lot of wobble and slight-off-trajectoryness when using the Nova rocket on the 1st stage, Saturn V 1st stage starts rolling when launched/used

Ok I don't fly "Real Saturn" missions so I haven't spent a lot of time on this. outside of Skylab I use Saturn II INT-18 And Gemini Titan IV almost exclusively for in Kerbin SOI+. But here are some observations from my few launch tests with the Saturn S1C stage.

1) The more launch clamps attached radially the worse the twist is.

2) Using alternative engines of similar total thrust with bottom node attachments (RD-191/RD-170 from Soviet Engine Pack at .64 scale.) and using the 2.5m FASA launch clamp on the central RD-170, the roll was GREATLY reduced (4 total launch clamps, CL engine, and 3 of the SPACE-Y super clamps at every 120 degrees.)

2a) Using only bottom attach launch clamps of the 1.25 and 2.5m FASA persuasion eliminated Launch twist to a non issue (It was so negligible that I couldn't see it under the low resolution NAV-BALL. However the Full Saturn V tries to tip over with just these. During the Test I was using a probe core on a parachute equipped and properly fared S1C stage only.

3) issue is even worse with Nova sized 1st stage. Same test conditions as above

4) Issue is mitigated with asparagus style launch of smaller diameter "stages" until you get to about 10-15meter radius launch stacks then it can appear again.

hypothesis: Radial launch clamps are staged sequentially. At a smaller radii it is not noticeable. But the higher number of clamps + Greater radii cause enough lag for some radial clamps to release before others with a "Physics calculation scene" in the middle of the release process. I believe this is tide in some way to the NODE SIZE and an internal calculation dealing with the greater radius than expected (EG 5m class instead of 3.75m class.)

NOTE: I have not tested this with any other 5m tanks or other 5m class engine/engine launch plates. But CFG wise I see nothing in the existing CFGs to cause this issue on their own.

Edited by Pappystein
Fixed gramatical error

So I've got the LEM built as well as the CM and they appear to stack well using the lunar module adapter but the fairings appear way to short. The don't even reach the nozzle of the CM engine. What am I missing here? See photo. I was able to offset the LEM deeper into the adapter but I cant get the engine closer to the LEM. Even then the fairings appear too short.

GbBeSYH.png

The CSM engine has 2 nodes at the top, one to attach it to the fuel tank and one for the LEM plate. The plates top node(the one floating in the air) should snap to the top node of the engine. Then place your fairings and what ever else you need.

Also a bit of shameless self promotion, yesterday I posted Shiperoids to Steam Greenlight. Vote yes for me if you would like to see it available on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386213739

Mz3U2X8.jpg

Edited by frizzank

This might be a question that's already been asked and answered, but how do you put the Juno 1 together? I figured out that you attach the "3x Baby Sergeant Rocket cluster" to the bottom of the Baby Sergeant 11x Cluster Decoupler and then mount the "11x Baby Sergeant Rocket Cluster" around the 3x cluster. What I can't figure out is how to stage it.

I think I have it. Explorer > 1x Sergeant > 3x Decoupler > 3x Sergeant, then the 11x decoupler goes above the 3x Sergeant, basically covering the 3x decoupler. Then the 11x sergeant mounts to the 11x decoupler and fits around the 3x Sergeant. Then the nose cone, fuel tank and engine. Still have to take it out for a test flight.

The CSM engine has 2 nodes at the top, one to attach it to the fuel tank and one for the LEM plate. The plates top node(the one floating in the air) should snap to the top node of the engine. Then place your fairings and what ever else you need.

Also a bit of shameless self promotion, yesterday I posted Shiperoids to Steam Greenlight. Vote yes for me if you would like to see it available on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386213739

http://i.imgur.com/Mz3U2X8.jpg

I have looked everywhere. That aj-10-137 does not have a second node anywhere near the top of the engine. At least the one that comes with FASA doesn't.

I completely get what you mean but if you look at my screenshot the CM Motor only has one node available after attaching it to the CM and thats at the nozzle and not the base like your screenshot shows. I even looked at the cfg file for the motor and it only has 2 nodes. 1 at the base for cm attachment and 1 at the nozzle.

ElBXf2t.png

You should be placing the Apollo 3.75m Attachment Plate to the engine and then place the LEM inside.

http://i.imgur.com/11mS33x.jpg

I have a bug where the switches in any capsule only "flip" when a kerbal gets out, and back in again. I press one of the action group switches, but it does not animate. A kerbal exits and re-enters, and they are flipped.

Hello, Frizzank! I have been enjoying your mod for a long time now!

I am working on cleaning the a few mods to work more consistently together. In particular, I am noticing that The Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo capsules do not work consistently with DRE (Deadly Re-entry) in RSS with RO.

Currently, the Mercury capsule has a heat shield, the Gemini capsule has the code for it in the part, but it has been commented out of action, and the Apollo capsule heat shield has no heat shield code or abilities.

Here is the commented out Gemini code:

// MODULE

// {

// name = ModuleHeatShield

// direction = 0, -1, 0 // bottom of pod

// reflective = 0.05 // 5% of heat is ignored at correct angle

// ablative = AblativeShielding

// loss

// { // loss is based on the shockwave temperature (also based on density)

// key = 650 0 // start ablating at 650 degrees C

// key = 1000 320 // peak ablation at 1000 degrees C

// key = 3000 400 // max ablation at 3000 degrees C

// }

// dissipation

// { // dissipation is based on the part's current temperature

// key = 300 0 // begin dissipating at 300 degrees C

// key = 500 90 // maximum dissipation at 500 degrees C

// }

// }

// RESOURCE

// {

// name = AblativeShielding

// amount = 1000

// maxAmount = 1000

// }

// MODULE

// {

// name = ModuleDecouple

// ejectionForce = 80

// //explosiveNodeID = top

// isOmniDecoupler = true

// staged = true

// }

}

A consistent behaviour is preferred as many other mods rely on your excellent mod at the base. Modifications could certainly be made to those other mods, but I think it is more elegant if a consistent behaviour is selected and put into place in the FASA mod. If you agree to that, please let me know which behaviour you prefer and I can adapt the code as necessary.

So, no heat shields on all capsules, or heat shields on all capsules?

Thanks!

I need to remove all outside mod references including heat shields from all the parts. Module manager should be adding in these bits since I am not in control of the mods it is referencing. Also it leads to less problems when you dont have those mods installed.

I'm trying to build the Mercury-Atlas in RO but I'm running into a problem. I've gove one of the Atlas fuel tanks and engines. I've actually launched this same basic Atlas a couple times without issue. Instead of an explorer probe core, though, this time I have the Mercury/Atlas decoupler, then above that I have the Mercury command module (complete with Re-entry module and retro straps). Less then 30 seconds into the launch there's a small explosion and suddenly my command module slides off the Atlas rocket. When I hit F3 I get the following:

[00:00:43] Join between Mercury Retro Strap / Decoupler and Mercury Re-entry Module failed due to aerodynamic stresses.

I've launched the Mercury/Redstone (which has the same exact command module setup, just a different engine, duel tank and decoupler) twice without incident. Is there some glitch with the "Mercury - Atlas Spacecraft Adapter"?

@chrisl: Post your questions about RO in the RO thread. Frizzank has nothing to do with RO, leave him out of it.

I was under the impression that the parts I was using were from FASA, since they aren't available if I don't have FASA installed. I only mentioned I was playing in RO so it would give some idea of the other mods I'm using. If this is an RO issue, I'll report it over there but right now it seems like it's a part failing.

I was under the impression that the parts I was using were from FASA, since they aren't available if I don't have FASA installed. I only mentioned I was playing in RO so it would give some idea of the other mods I'm using. If this is an RO issue, I'll report it over there but right now it seems like it's a part failing.

You're using FASA parts reconfigured to work with RO. Therefore it's an RO problem.

So the exploding Apollo was a weird bug that was somewhat related to the craft file and something seriously messed up in the model file. I reverted it back to the 5.00 version and did a full Apollo 11 mission with reloads and ship switching with no problems. On kerbal stuff now

http://beta.kerbalstuff.com/mod/27/FASA

* Fixed exploding Apollo capsule, You may have to rebuild your old craft by detaching and re-attaching parts to it.

* Rebuilt Apollo craft files

* Added gimbles to LEM engines to help with COM balance issues. If the weight balance is way off your still going to have problems

* Added SASServiceLevel = 4 to Apollo Inst Unit

* Put the Apollo S1B wings in a lower tech tree "supersonicFlight"

* Fixed missing fuel tanks for Gemini Lander Legs, I thought I had fixed...

* Lowered price of LR-87 and LR-91

* Changed some of the Landing Legs to Landing Gear, looks to have fixed some of the animation problems...

* Removed more references to outside mods. Module manager configs should be updated for Deadly Re-entry and FASA pods

* Reduced RCS power on LEM from .75 to .50

Also I made a Biplane, included with the download.

NrAIKdg.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.