LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

I find It is usually better to have the doc port on top of a payload anyway. I assign undock to an action group so you can undock the payload and then lower with the ramp.

Yeah, which seems to be the typical way of doing things. Also, I have made a manned rover I *really* like, and sadly it doesn't fit into the 2x1 bays, so I was going to try and replicate the enclosed bay with the legs, but the bay sit in a slightly larger cavity inside the craft. There goes that idea.

The re-organised LLL-Full MrWizerd has been helping with (read: done basically everything for. Seriously, thanks for your help) is looking a lot better.

I'm re-doing the 2x1 hulls a bit to avoid requiring different copies of a large texture for the LFO, LF and Kethane versions by essentially replacing them with a strip, like I did for some TAC boxes with another user (that I don't think were actually released publicly).

I also added some 3D detailing. That can be tabbed out in the config, so I would be able to release a MM config file that turns it off, or the .mu could be deleted.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'll do the same for the 1x1 as well (and re-sizes of those, respectively).

The re-organised LLL-Full MrWizerd has been helping with (read: done basically everything for. Seriously, thanks for your help) is looking a lot better.

I'm re-doing the 2x1 hulls a bit to avoid requiring different copies of a large texture for the LFO, LF and Kethane versions by essentially replacing them with a strip, like I did for some TAC boxes with another user (that I don't think were actually released publicly).

I also added some 3D detailing. That can be tabbed out in the config, so I would be able to release a MM config file that turns it off, or the .mu could be deleted.

http://imgur.com/a/jC25e

I like. It's enough to give it character while not enough to ruin your trademark sleek appearance.

I like. It's enough to give it character while not enough to ruin your trademark sleek appearance.

Thanks.

Also, thoughts on re-sizing the Copernicus inspired parts in SXT to 3.75m so you can fit small landing craft inside the truss sections? If I did that I'd leave the configs for the 2.5m parts, but would set "category = -1" so they don't show up in the VAB.

Thanks.

Also, thoughts on re-sizing the Copernicus inspired parts in SXT to 3.75m so you can fit small landing craft inside the truss sections? If I did that I'd leave the configs for the 2.5m parts, but would set "category = -1" so they don't show up in the VAB.

Yes, please.

http://imgur.com/a/jC25e

Lack, gotta say I'm super-impressed with your UV unwrapping skills for SXT!

Thanks, some of the UV maps' actual layout looks really weird. You certainly get used to massively abusing things like mirroring and folding bits of UVmap back and forward over itself. The hexagonal structural panel, despite looking relatively normal, was actually one of the hardest to do.

Updated 2x1 Fuel tank model

iurUzJl.png

Edit:

Improved shading.

Z8gmPh3.png

Edited by Lack

Thanks, some of the UV maps' actual layout looks really weird. You certainly get used to massively abusing things like mirroring and folding bits of UVmap back and forward over itself. The hexagonal structural panel, despite looking relatively normal, was actually one of the hardest to do.

Updated 2x1 Fuel tank model

http://i.imgur.com/iurUzJl.png

Edit:

Improved shading.

http://i.imgur.com/Z8gmPh3.png

DAMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNN~~~

yeah those look real good and are also slightly what i expected them to look like O.o oddly enough

Thanks.

Why not just keep both? I'm finding the 2m parts super useful, it'd be a shame if you made them unavailable.

Why not just keep both? I'm finding the 2m parts super useful, it'd be a shame if you made them unavailable.

I'm not so fond of straight re-sizes now though, so I'd need to find some way to make one set visually distinct on the VAB icons.

@BananaDealer,

It's possible, but you'd sacrifice fuel capacity.

kGAeNNz.png

TgWojYp.png

I always thought there'd be a walkway in the middle... You know, since the parks are meant more for starships and stuff...

Awesome non-the-less.

I had asked Lack the same question about a part in SXT as I was setting up a cfg for his parts for connected living spaces. I think it would be neat for there to be a walkway part so that you can use it as a hall to get to other modules in a station or megaship situation. Also Lack, in the SXT set what was your vision for the Pipes? Are they conduits for Kerbins or for "virtual" movement of materials?

I like it. Maybe lessen the scaffolding and make the tanks slightly elliptical vertically to make for more fuel?

Little on the heavy side for the mesh I fear, weighs in at about close to 6000 Tris. Certainly not a problem on it's own. But worth considering that the model I showed previously was half that, and the usual 2x1 is a measly 28,

I'd never previously considered them to be passable for crew-anyway (unless you fancy crawling) as they have the same dry weight as a stock-part would have, and the idea of putting the fuel near a habitable area just seems like an altogether bad idea. They almost certainly wouldn't be pressurised for the same reason.

@MrWizerd,

No real vision. Just wanted to make some pipes. Probably just passing fuel,excrement/kerbals escaping from prison.

Little on the heavy side for the mesh I fear, weighs in at about close to 6000 Tris. Certainly not a problem on it's own. But worth considering that the model I showed previously was half that, and the usual 2x1 is a measly 28,

I'd never previously considered them to be passable for crew-anyway (unless you fancy crawling) as they have the same dry weight as a stock-part would have, and the idea of putting the fuel near a habitable area just seems like an altogether bad idea. They almost certainly wouldn't be pressurised for the same reason.

@MrWizerd,

No real vision. Just wanted to make some pipes. Probably just passing fuel,excrement/kerbals escaping from prison.

The walkways could be like the ones of the Enterprise... Jeffrey's tubes was what they were called.

I always though your parts had some sort of crew-transfer capability since the textures have a sort of a door thing...

The walkways could be like the ones of the Enterprise... Jeffrey's tubes was what they were called.

I always though your parts had some sort of crew-transfer capability since the textures have a sort of a door thing...

For the fuel-tanks I always just figured them as access-hatches for works. Technically passable, but a tight squeeze and you would be advised to avoid putting your foot through a tank-wall. Not for routine foot traffic, anyhow.

Will probably release a copy of the tank with the thoroughfare as a standalone.

Edited by Lack

For the fuel-tanks I always just figured them as access-hatches for works. Technically passable, but a tight squeeze and you would be advised to avoid putting your foot through a tank-wall. Not for routine foot traffic, anyhow.

Will probably release a copy of the tank with the thoroughfare as a standalone.

Exactly, Jeffrey's Tubes.

@MrWizerd,

In 2014k, Andy Kerbal escaped from Shawshank prison barge. All they found of him was a kruddy set of prison clothes, a bar of soap, and an old spanner, damn near worn down to the nub. I used to think it would take six-hundred years to tunnel through a bulkhead with it. Old Andy did it in less than twenty. Oh, Andy loved metallurgy. I guess it appealed to his meticulous nature. A bronze age here, million years of mountain building there. Metallurgy is the study of pressure, heat and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, heat, and time. That, and a big god-damned poster. Like I said, in prison a man will do anything to keep his mind occupied. It turns out Andy's favorite hobby was totin' his wall through the exercise yard, a handful at a time. I guess after Tommy was killed, he decided he had been here just about long enough. Andy did like he was told, buffed those shoes to a high mirror shine. The guard simply didn't notice. Neither did I...I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes? Andy crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of ***** smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to. Five hundred yards...that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile....

*Now I have to make a Kerbal named Andy HAHA

Edited by MrWizerd

In 2014k, Andy Kerbal escaped from Shawshank prison barge. All they found of him was a kruddy set of prison clothes, a bar of soap, and an old spanner, damn near worn down to the nub. I used to think it would take six-hundred years to tunnel through a bulkhead with it. Old Andy did it in less than twenty. Oh, Andy loved metallurgy. I guess it appealed to his meticulous nature. A bronze age here, million years of mountain building there. Metallurgy is the study of pressure, heat and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, heat, and time. That, and a big god-damned poster. Like I said, in prison a man will do anything to keep his mind occupied. It turns out Andy's favorite hobby was totin' his wall through the exercise yard, a handful at a time. I guess after Tommy was killed, he decided he had been here just about long enough. Andy did like he was told, buffed those shoes to a high mirror shine. The guard simply didn't notice. Neither did I...I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes? Andy crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of ***** smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to. Five hundred yards...that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile....

*Now I have to make a Kerbal named Andy HAHA

I red this in Morgan Freeman's voice...

Also, awesome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.