LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

So KSOS Phase4 will have the basic trucks, but what about the Pickup Trucks and wide-load trucks? What about the Trains? When will they be released? Soon? Is it possibe you could release them in hig-poly models, unlike the low-poly models in the VAB and space center?

Edited by GregroxMun

So KSOS Phase4 will have the basic trucks, but what about the Pickup Trucks and wide-load trucks? What about the Trains? When will they be released? Soon? Is it possibe you could release them in hig-poly models, unlike the low-poly models in the VAB and space center?

I believe you've hit the wrong thread.

@AntiMatter,

Yeah, had to take out/re-name the tweakscale configs since having them in, and the ones in tweakscale proper was causing a lot of problems. There's about half a dozen pages of the thread devoted to that whole episode.

@Gregox,

Yes, there'll be a normal and wide versions, I think I've shown screenshots of the wide version anyway. Their beauty is in their simplicity. I see little point in changing their shape 'just because'. Release shouldn't be too far away, SpannerMonkey's done a fantastic job with the wheels, so their working and in game.

Pick up trucks will need to wait a while since the mesh for them is a complete mess.

Well, I've got them, so might as well include them. By the looks of it mine'll be somewhat larger then (since they keep the same scale as the others round the KSC). They're currently about ~2.5m for the wide flatbeds and 1.875m for the thin.

Also, I don't suppose anyone's able to get wheels working? I've got some basic models, but I haven't had that much luck with wheels in the past.

Currently relying on the stock ones

http://i.imgur.com/YPC4Gwz.png

Should probably get round to getting .24 at somepoint as well.

More stuff:

http://imgur.com/a/6Yypn

Looks pretty, I'm assuming those are Ion Drives, But what is that ring on the first picture? Warp drive or is that just wishful thinking?

@AntiMatter,

Yeah, had to take out/re-name the tweakscale configs since having them in, and the ones in tweakscale proper was causing a lot of problems. There's about half a dozen pages of the thread devoted to that whole episode.

@Gregox,

Yes, there'll be a normal and wide versions, I think I've shown screenshots of the wide version anyway. Their beauty is in their simplicity. I see little point in changing their shape 'just because'. Release shouldn't be too far away, SpannerMonkey's done a fantastic job with the wheels, so their working and in game.

Pick up trucks will need to wait a while since the mesh for them is a complete mess.

Will the trucks be released in KSC++ or STX? I'd prefer them to be in their own pack.

@AntiMatter,

@Gregox,

Will the trucks be released in KSC++ or STX? I'd prefer them to be in their own pack.

My coppoter dint doo teh rite thing

They'll be in SXT, but I can post a copy here with just the trucks in.

@ Pigbear,

I just knocked that up with tweakscale and some panels. It was my re-make of Colonial One.

Looks pretty, I'm assuming those are Ion Drives, But what is that ring on the first picture? Warp drive or is that just wishful thinking?

I asked that same question. I WAS planning on doing some drives for KSPI after I finished up my 2x1 reactor, I think that I will have to physically scale my reactors instead of using tweakscale because there are a lot of things that would have to be tweaked, but its a simple matter of changing some of the values around and using a scale command for the different sizes, I think I will have a 2x1 and 4x2 and then also a 1x1 and 2x2. After I finish the 2x1 model I will apply it to the 1x1 and then run off the scales... I am still trying to decide if I want to apply an emissive layer to the reactor as suggested... I am not sure they would have that style of radiation, as I do not know the specifics of it. I read up on it in Wikipedia but I don't know under what specific circumstances in the real world application that this sort of radiation is visible.

Anyways there are new alcubierre drives in the latest KSPI and I thought that some LLL versions would be killer so I may look into if if lack has not already. The other possiblility is he added theirs and then put a fairing over it.

...Could you clarify about the greyish middle? I have only ever seen one portable reactor inside my friends sub when he was working on one, and asside from it being made of metal the core didnt have any overtly grey area that I saw, of course most everthing is painted to avoid corrosion in a sub so...

Sorry for the late reply: I imagined that there may be the primary (secondary) cooling cycle, so some form of radiation shielding wouldn't be bad. This should be the "gray-ish middle section" I was talking about, a gray-textured ring around the reactor containment , maybe the sides could be gray too.

I really like the LLL pack, hope you'll release some new stuff soon :)

Got it pretty much working now, and with an IVA.

http://imgur.com/a/odAPI

And the 'outtakes' of trying to get the IVA to work: http://imgur.com/a/wHjst

Lack! Just wanted to say that I literally laughed at Kommunotronski. It's brilliant naming I tell ya.

MOARz Please? It's my birthday! Doesn't that count for something?

Happy Birthday! :D

So for the fake "manual ejection" it requires 3 kerbin to enter there code and turn there keys, I don't have the skin yet, this will test my skinning abilities. I just need to descide if I want it to have the stripes on it, which normally are only on tanks/cargo or not. I can also just put the stripes on the back side, but I like the idea of having the color, and actually am thinking of having a skin for the stripes that is white to match the main body so that I can paint them or not as an option. Anyway.... Thoughts?

FUuyTX9.jpg

oCbzrqv.jpg

I am currently holding off on anything that would be seen inside the housing module for the reactor core. I see these as two separate parts even though they are one. The reactor containment is in yellow and houses the entirety of the fissile materials, with only electrical conduits and high pressure water conduits being plumbed through the decoupler. The white hull piece that encases that is the sealed room that the Kerbal actually use to monitor the reactor. I may build an IVA for this eventually, but as it sits right now, I am leaving the internal passable but NOT livable as no one wants to live next to a Reactor Core. The game does not have a way for us to walk around in the ship, and I know that the pods are "livable" even though they only have chairs so I may change this once I actually figure out how to make an IVA scene but for now I am leaving it as is. The skin will have a panel in the recessed area that has light up buttons and a interlock or something to turn to activate the decoupler, but since all of that is fake until I can get it to work the way I want within the confines of KSPI it will all just be dummy skin stuff.

MOARz Please? It's my birthday! Doesn't that count for something?

Heh, well, I can put up a version of it later on to play around with.

Also,

Made this:

16dwvgo.png

Not quite sure what to do with it, thinking xenon or liquid fuel.

Also,

Made this:

http://i.imgur.com/16dwvgo.png

Looks pretty cool - if you use a texture that has space for a colored band or splotch somewhere, it could be modded for any other mod's various resources too - like LiquidHydrogen or Argon or whatever!

Also,

Made this:

http://i.imgur.com/16dwvgo.png

I agree with the colored splotch, Like the darker hexagon area... it would be REALLY neat if it expanded but that requires another plugin. The funny thing is in my notebook I have a note to make a 2x1 frame HAHA great minds I guess :)

With the UV map, the pipes were the easiest part to do while keeping size to a minimum.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I've also fiddled a bit more with the standard tanks MrWizerd set up for the 1x1 and 2x1, so they're all set up now to use Firespitter to switch the textures and fuels. Cuts it down from a gazzilion parts to a handful.

Edit:

Here's a testing version of SXT-17, there's a few more things like any price balancing I'd like to have done first, and no doubt things I've left half-broken, so use at your own risk (and it does have the trucks in).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/SXT-17testing.zip

Edited by Lack

I added some pipes to the reactor and made the ring and stripe match for now. The ring will need its own skin but I am thinking that the pipes should keep there colors so the cooler water (which is still VERY hot) and Hot water is differentiated. I will have to build the generator with similar pipes... and I will probably build a generator model to have in the middle. However, at current I am not sure what else I should add, any other thoughts on this? The KSPI reactors are pretty cool but I think they are just the reactor housing and outer casing... I don't know how much of there setup is based on real reactors either... its hard to extrapolate what something would look like HaHaHa, anyway additonal thoughts? housing alterations?

xq7Zb6D.jpg

After some research I have found that the blue radoactive glow in the reactors KSPI use, the molten salt type would in fact exist, however the glow cannot be seen outside of the containment vessel. IF I create an IVA and IF I can get the raster prop monitor to use a camera INSIDE the reactor it will look something like this.

nukeblue-9jpg-242e4060d80a5f4b.jpg

This is all based on IF I can get these things to happen. However after adding the lifting eyes to this unit it will be almost done accept for the ring skin, I just thought of something else.

RPXeRcg.jpg

Ok, so here it is with the heat exchanger poking through the hull with the molten salt cooling lines on the bottom that connect to the reactor housing. The molten salt is pretty hot, and is this way kept out of the ship, if one of the lines breaks it will eject the molten salt away from the ship. So asside from the actual skinning I am thinking this is a good stoping point... any thoughts?

GZA2XH9.jpg

Edited by MrWizerd

I added some pipes to the reactor and made the ring and stripe match for now. The ring will need its own skin but I am thinking that the pipes should keep there colors so the cooler water (which is still VERY hot) and Hot water is differentiated. I will have to build the generator with similar pipes... and I will probably build a generator model to have in the middle. However, at current I am not sure what else I should add, any other thoughts on this? The KSPI reactors are pretty cool but I think they are just the reactor housing and outer casing... I don't know how much of there setup is based on real reactors either... its hard to extrapolate what something would look like HaHaHa, anyway additonal thoughts? housing alterations?

http://i.imgur.com/xq7Zb6D.jpg

After some research I have found that the blue radoactive glow in the reactors KSPI use, the molten salt type would in fact exist, however the glow cannot be seen outside of the containment vessel. IF I create an IVA and IF I can get the raster prop monitor to use a camera INSIDE the reactor it will look something like this.

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nukeblue-9jpg-242e4060d80a5f4b.jpg

This is all based on IF I can get these things to happen. However after adding the lifting eyes to this unit it will be almost done accept for the ring skin, I just thought of something else.

http://i.imgur.com/RPXeRcg.jpg

Ok, so here it is with the heat exchanger poking through the hull with the molten salt cooling lines on the bottom that connect to the reactor housing. The molten salt is pretty hot, and is this way kept out of the ship, if one of the lines breaks it will eject the molten salt away from the ship. So asside from the actual skinning I am thinking this is a good stoping point... any thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/GZA2XH9.jpg

Dunno if this qualifies as a thought, but what will the ends of those pipes look like if you put the reactor part in the middle of two standard tanks? My only other comment would be that it might be cool to put a little radiator grill piece on each side below the reactor part, maybe you could steal one from the vents on the various LLL engines. Perhaps it could even glow red underneath the grill when the reactor is cookin' - that might be kind of neat! Maybe that's where the pipes could lead...?

Oh, well actually, the reactor in KSPI has to be directly next to the generator/thermal rocket to work so since it has to be touching I figure that they will always mate up. I will have to build a thermal rocket engine too. As for the reactor housing, your the second person to say something about making it glow... the reactor housing keeps all of that kind of stuff contained so vents wouldn't be very... containment minded, however it did give me another idea and since I have to build an emissive layer anyways I think it wont be too much of an issue... the Pipes for the molten salt heat exchange could feasibly become hot enough to glow with heat similar to the engines. The water not so much because it would be steam, that is under lower pressures but making that one pipe glow a low orange I will look into.

I know that visually this reactor is fairly boring, very little effects and that is kinda how these things are if there running safe you know? I am trying to come up with stuff to add to it that will give it a bit more of a kick, and make it less like the vanilla parts trust me it was originally just a 2x1 hull piece. The generator just has been upgraded from blank hull to a hull with a warning sign. So I am getting ideas as I go and you all helping me by throwing out ideas is defiantly helping! For the generator, I am thinking of having an animated part that spins outside of the 2x1 hull piece a little bit. The idea here is to have just SOMETHING on it that is doing something because really a generator house is mostly going to just have a big huge electric motor in it that is being spun by a turbine to create electricity instead of consume it. But I will think of something interesting, I promise.

Edited by MrWizerd

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.